What's new
What's new

Importing mill from Europe to USA.... broker needed or DIY ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Seller is dealer with broker handling most paperwork but apparently I have to file the ISF info... or should I pay customs broker to do that ? FWIW, while I've exported machines to places as distant as Australia and Turkey, it's been decades since I've imported a machine involving a container.

Seller is dealer with broker handling most paperwork but apparently I have to file the ISF info... or should I pay customs broker to do that ? FWIW, while I've exported machines to places as distant as Australia and Turkey, it's been decades since I've imported a machine involving a container.

You may want to send Peter a message, he shipped my items to the States and help me find a broker here.....

Kevin

It's been several years but I did all my own paperwork. At least in San Francisco, the Customs guys were friendly and helpful. It cost about a hundred bucks to get bonded, that was about it. Not even that much paperwork.

This was not at the airport (obviously the containers didn't come by air, but just in case ...), it was at the main office downtown.

Every broker I talked to was a lot more, and they puffed up the amount of work involved.

But I'm a cheapskate :)

Just remember you get three days free on the container after it leaves Customs, if you don't get it unloaded before then they slam you hard with demurrage. And you better have the paperwork ready before it gets to Customs or they will slam you hard too. One of our customers got hit for $16,000 because they dawdled.

Whatever you do, do not use Leapfrog. They are pretty near you, major disaster. Avoid at all costs.

I'd recommend getting a customs broker, not very expensive, and well worth it to handle all the details which can be complex.

Delivery depends a lot on the incoterms of the shipment
We assume it is a LCL (Less than container load )
If it is CIP or CIF port the seller is responsibble for shipping it to the mentioned port and take care of insureance
Once it is there the buyer takes over (or his representitive in the form of a broker)
He has to pay and/or arrange for unloadingcharges and some more charges like THC IPS VGM perhaps
He also has to take care of transport to his facility Commercial or non commercial adress is a different price for inland transport Like is with tailgateservice
He also has to pay import tax and perhaps some other tax

DAP (delivered at place) means the seller arranges insured transport to the facility of the buyer
But the buyer ALWAYS has to do the ISF
And the buyer also has to pay import tax and perhaps some other form of tax (never had to deal with that)
For a one time event I would recommend to get a broker involved which takes care of the ISF and tax probably too
I have the name of a broker which I used for bsg who can take care of these things But for sure it is not the only one
bsg can tell us what the charges for the ISF were perhaps

To make it complete A crate for a machine like a Deckel will cost about €300 here
If it is from me you buy a machine I do the crating at no charge

Peter

Delivery depends a lot on the incoterms of the shipment
We assume it is a LCL (Less than container load )
If it is CIP or CIF port the seller is responsibble for shipping it to the mentioned port and take care of insureance
Once it is there the buyer takes over (or his representitive in the form of a broker)
He has to pay and/or arrange for unloadingcharges and some more charges like THC IPS VGM perhaps
He also has to take care of transport to his facility Commercial or non commercial adress is a different price for inland transport Like is with tailgateservice
He also has to pay import tax and perhaps some other tax

DAP (delivered at place) means the seller arranges insured transport to the facility of the buyer
But the buyer ALWAYS has to do the ISF
And the buyer also has to pay import tax and perhaps some other form of tax (never had to deal with that)
For a one time event I would recommend to get a broker involved which takes care of the ISF and tax probably too
I have the name of a broker which I used for bsg who can take care of these things But for sure it is not the only one
bsg can tell us what the charges for the ISF were perhaps

To make it complete A crate for a machine like a Deckel will cost about €300 here
If it is from me you buy a machine I do the crating at no charge

Peter

It was 2012 when I received my shipment.....the charges were not horrible IIRC, but they were higher than expected?
Seemed like there were a lot of miscellaneous charges, plus taxes, these were stateside charges?

The quote I received from Peter was accurate for the charges on his side......I think US customs/brokers make up charges as they go!

Kevin

Back