What's new
What's new

Infratirea FUS22 Lubricant equivalents

dazz

Stainless
Hi
I have a Infratirea FUS-22 built April 1975 in Oradea, Romania.

The manual lists:
  • Tellus Oil 33, ISO68 (I already have a bucket of this for my lathe)
  • Tellus Oil 15, ISO 15 for the gear boxes
  • Alvania Fett3 or Grease FP 3
  • Mobil grease AA No.3

My questions are:

ISO15 is thinner than ISO68, but I figure if it is OK for my Nardini lathe, it should be OK for the mill. Comments??

What are modern equivalents of FP 3 and the Mobil AA greases? I am thinking that almost any modern Grade 3 will be OK.

What is commonly used to pump the oil into all of the grease nipples? It looks like I need to get an oil gun and swap the coupler for one off a grease gun.

Dazz

Hi
I have a Infratirea FUS-22 built April 1975 in Oradea, Romania.

The manual lists:
  • Tellus Oil 33, ISO68 (I already have a bucket of this for my lathe)
  • Tellus Oil 15, ISO 15 for the gear boxes
  • Alvania Fett3 or Grease FP 3
  • Mobil grease AA No.3

My questions are:

ISO15 is thinner than ISO68, but I figure if it is OK for my Nardini lathe, it should be OK for the mill. Comments??

What are modern equivalents of FP 3 and the Mobil AA greases? I am thinking that almost any modern Grade 3 will be OK.

What is commonly used to pump the oil into all of the grease nipples? It looks like I need to get an oil gun and swap the coupler for one off a grease gun.

Dazz

If the ISO 68 runs the gearboxes hot in 3-shift a day operation, just drain, flush, and go find an ISO 15. More likely, less-frequent use, it just helps take up and quieten the wear?

CAVEAT: As with ATF in its many iterations, operation of friction clutches, oil-bath, if any, are the more likely reason ISO 15 was specified, OEM, than shaft, bearing, or gear running clearances. You'll find out soon enough it that is a problem!

Otherwise. "Yes to all". Not hard to change your mind and try again.

Not as if it were a PT6 in passenger-carrying air transport service.

Hi
A nice idea but I can't buy one of those here. e-bay failed to beat the local competition.

Dazz

A "one-shot" system was mentioned. We tend to think of those as mounted right onto a specific machine-tool, permanently.

But they do not HAVE to be.

One could, perhaps, find merit in such a rig mounted to a plate hung off a cart, or otherwise temporarily brought to the machine - perhaps gripped in a vise - and used for service at intervals simply because it allowed use of readily available pumps, reservoirs, lines, and fittings less awkwardly than purely hand-held goods?

Think a mini-version of the multi-goods lube trucks that service heavy construction machinery.

2CW

Need to be a little careful with ISO68 for machine tool applications as it comes in a variety of flavours ranging from simple oil of the stated viscosity right through to slide way oils loaded up with tackifiers to keep the stuff in place. Far as I can see the common variants are mostly dual rated for slideways and low speed bearings or gears. So they string nicely on exposed gears but don't turn to gum in a slow running gearbox. Stick that in a fast gearbox or one of the way oil types in any gearbox and you will have a right mess. Not nice to clean.

#2 to what Thermite says on ISO 15 and clutches.

I've always found the suppliers technical staff helpful when in doubt. As oil specifications have changed over the years its best to check as the 1980 or whatever version that worked fine may not behave the same as the 2019 version.

Clive

When it comes to ISO 68 oil I bought a hydraulic oil with AW properties which is often used for gear boxes like these and in tractors. The brand is Shell Tellus S2.

Back