What's new
What's new

JFA Surface Plates - group buy?

dgcope

Cast Iron
Howdy All,

Hope you don't mind me posting this here, but I thought it more appropriate than the Metrology forum. I've decided I just need to have a new Johann Fischer Aschaffenburg surface plate for my German and Swiss machine centric workshop. I just love the way the plates are detailed and finished.

I've been conversing with Mr. Fischer for some time. The prices are very comparable to reputable plates made here in the states, except that JFA's plates are typically thicker, made from Gabbro Impala, diamond finished on all surfaces including the bottom, and have steel ball-inserts installed as standard. Inspection certificates are included, and JFA won't ship a plate that is not at least twice as good as it's rating.

Obviously shipping granite from Germany to the USA is the prohibitive bit. But if I can get a few of you to go in with me, the cost of shipping for each comes way down.

Anyone have any interest? I would expect in the end that you could expect to spend about 50% more on a JFA plate than a quality domestic one, including shipping.

Please don't call me crazy.

JFA - Johann Fischer Aschaffenburg

bild_messplatte_cbdf_c.jpg

I got a quote once from JFA for resurfacing my 800x1200 mm surface plate. It was more expensive than a brand new laboratory-grade plate from another well-known manufacturer!

I got a quote once from JFA for resurfacing my 800x1200 mm surface plate. It was more expensive than a brand new laboratory-grade plate from another well-known manufacturer!

Interesting, maybe they prefer to price themselves out of that kind of work?

I found the prices for the standard plates to be very reasonable, ie. 1000 x 600 x 160mm DIN 876/0: 976,- Eur

I had them quote custom-sized plates and the prices were much higher (as expected.)

Kind Regards,

Don

Seems importing something like a surface plate is a bit of an exercise unless its an item that you can't get locally.....
Unless i am mistaken, a "AA" plate is an "AA" plate, no matter who's sticker is on it. If its certified its the same.

For me here in Nor.Cal the shipping would be killer....especially since there are several good makers here in the state...and they will re-surface and re-calibrate old plates at reasonable rates.

Maybe you could just have a decal or sticker made up to put on a plate you purchased locally.
Cheers Ross

To be fair, I am not interested one way or the other, just a couple thoughts...

Seems like you are paying for the name really, and is it worth it?

"Diamond finished" on all sides just seems like a waste, especially on the bottom! Kind of like polishing and waxing he underside of your vehicle. Who cares, a quick rust preventive coating or whatnot and be done with it.

I'd rather buy a somewhat good black granite plate locally and spend the the money saved from import fees on autocollimator and other metrology instruments to check the plate myself.

Believing in some certificate is one thing, if you can check a plate yourself, then you really know how accurate it is. And you can check it, if you suspect some wear or deformation.

Black granite is black granite, the thicker, the better. Probably comes from the same quarry anyways.

Howdy All,

Hope you don't mind me posting this here, but I thought it more appropriate than the Metrology forum. I've decided I just need to have a new Johann Fischer Aschaffenburg surface plate for my German and Swiss machine centric workshop. I just love the way the plates are detailed and finished.

I've been conversing with Mr. Fischer for some time. The prices are very comparable to reputable plates made here in the states, except that JFA's plates are typically thicker, made from Gabbro Impala, diamond finished on all surfaces including the bottom, and have steel ball-inserts installed as standard. Inspection certificates are included, and JFA won't ship a plate that is not at least twice as good as it's rating.

Obviously shipping granite from Germany to the USA is the prohibitive bit. But if I can get a few of you to go in with me, the cost of shipping for each comes way down.

Anyone have any interest? I would expect in the end that you could expect to spend about 50% more on a JFA plate than a quality domestic one, including shipping.

Please don't call me crazy.

JFA - Johann Fischer Aschaffenburg

View attachment 290033

I would be interested in one. Do you have any information on cost?

I would be interested in one. Do you have any information on cost?

The pricing I have is out of date but will serve as a good example. I will get the quote updated soon.

600 x 500 x 120mm DIN 876/0: 509 Euro

600 x 500 x 120mm DIN 876/00: 597 Euro

1000 x 600 x 160mm DIN 876/0: 976 Euro

1000 x 600 x 160mm DIN 876/00: 1145 Euro

The Euro is currently $1.11 USD. Check their list of standard sizes and let me know what size you would be interested in.

The cost above would be plus sea freight to me and domestic ground freight to you.

Kind Regards,

Don

I see your one of those people that think of everything in terms of money

Not really...But i will tell you that i have had some unpleasant experiences bringing Euro machine parts into the country, and folks hooking up for a "Group" buy
should be aware that there are at times hidden costs that can mount up....

Brought a universal table into the states from Holland (Peter) ...Shipping cost for the sea freight was around 600.00 and i was prepared for that.
The shipment was off loaded in NYC even though the ship was going through to Oakland (local for me). When the table was off loaded it went to the customs impound,.I was told that this was standard.
Getting it freed from customs required additional costs....Handling, Port of entry charges etc....then the table was put on a long haul truck ...More $$$$$ in all think i paid an additional $800 for the in country
costs on top of the shipping....Not insignificant. Insult to injury is that the table should have stayed on the ship all the way to Oakland.
When your goods are sitting in the customs warehouse in NYC and you are here on the west coast, ya got little leverage but to pay.

Now perhaps you have a money tree out back and all this is insignificant after all its just money. Me i, I don't favor these kind of surprises.
Cheers Ross

Not really...But i will tell you that i have had some unpleasant experiences bringing Euro machine parts into the country, and folks hooking up for a "Group" buy
should be aware that there are at times hidden costs that can mount up....

Brought a universal table into the states from Holland (Peter) ...Shipping cost for the sea freight was around 600.00 and i was prepared for that.
The shipment was off loaded in NYC even though the ship was going through to Oakland (local for me). When the table was off loaded it went to the customs impound,.I was told that this was standard.
Getting it freed from customs required additional costs....Handling, Port of entry charges etc....then the table was put on a long haul truck ...More $$$$$ in all think i paid an additional $800 for the in country
costs on top of the shipping....Not insignificant. Insult to injury is that the table should have stayed on the ship all the way to Oakland.
When your goods are sitting in the customs warehouse in NYC and you are here on the west coast, ya got little leverage but to pay.

Now perhaps you have a money tree out back and all this is insignificant after all its just money. Me i, I don't favor these kind of surprises.
Cheers Ross

I too have brought tools and machinery in from overseas and have never had a problem. You need to do your due diligence before you make the buy. Something like a machine tool table needs to go by air. I bought a tilting rotary table out of the UK that was probably about the same size and weight. Total cost from from the UK to my door was about $300.00 and I had it in a week. There no reason to have surprises on international shipping. I would think that when your working on million dollar cars $800.00 would be chump change.

I see your one of those people that think of everything in terms of money....

There no reason to have surprises on international shipping. I would think that when your working on million dollar cars $800.00 would be chump change.

Jealousy, was that?

WTF? It's a commercial transaction, not a riot! What else works as well?

MONEY .. is surely more practical in general commerce - international most of all - than beer, sex, or kinky politics?

You don't get to earn the PRIVILEGE of working on fine motor cars by spending a life being habitually foolish!

What caught it up here is same as air-travel for human beans. Routing.

Yah clear customs & immigration at FIRST port of entry. Thereafter, non-US flagged hull isn't meant to be carrying already-admitted goods.

That simple. BROKER is the one as shudda knowed that and routed accordingly.

Mine surely did. 62 countries, just two "Day Job" of many.

Last edited:
I bought a tilting rotary table out of the UK that was probably about the same size and weight. Total cost from from the UK to my door was about $300.00 and I had it in a week.

I've shipped a lot of stuff to to the US over the years, and try to find good prices. But I have never found a way to ship a 100+ kg object from the UK to the US by air in a week for $300 door-to-door. Could you please tell us what company/service you used for this?

Last edited:
Shipping prices are going to be messed up for a while....
I to have had stuff airfreight from Europe to the states for relatively little cost. It is definitely worth checking in to.
Last time was 6 domestic size washing machines and dryers, each on there own pallet not so heavy but lots of volume. It cost 1k and took 4 days from Germany to being on my door in Florida. Not bad I thought.

I've shipped a lot of stuff to to the US over the years, and try to find good prices. But I have never found a way to air to ship a 100+ kg object from the UK to the US by air in a week for $300 door-to-door. Could you please tell us what company/service you used for this?

It isn't likely but a fluke.

Even so, they do exist.

Find the right forwarder/consolidator, air freight can be cheaper than most folks are aware of. Theft and damage risk, headcount of bribes as have to be paid, many a country, are lower as well.

I've shipped a lot of stuff to to the US over the years, and try to find good prices. But I have never found a way to air to ship a 100+ kg object from the UK to the US by air in a week for $300 door-to-door. Could you please tell us what company/service you used for this?

It was an outfit called pack and send. Picked up the table from the seller packed and delivered to me in a week or so.

International Shipping & Courier Services | Pack & Send

Why are you people getting so bent out of shape over how I spend my money? Frankly it's none of your business.

Why are you people getting so bent out of shape over how I spend my money? Frankly it's none of your business.

But it WAS YOUR bizness that $800 was "chump change" to some other Pilgrim who was thought to "think of everything in terms of money"... and must surely have had more than his fair share ...by your mangled metrics?

Not exactly a "fiscal term", what that is labeled, back up in Appalachia:

"Ever' bit as 'one way' as chicken shit."

Can't stand the heat? Stay out of the hen house!

Back