What's new
What's new

Jig/Tooling Plate on Deckel?

drcoelho

Stainless
Was wondering if anyone has setup a jig/tooling plate on their Deckel as alternative to the traditional Deckel tables. It occurred to me that such a jig plate could be mounted vertically on the mounting face of the Deckel and would allow much larger work pieces than the tables might allow. Any thoughts?

Someone who lives not far from me has an FP1 in their basement which apparently was delivered without a horizontal table. Buying one was too expensive, so he made one from aluminium tooling plate that has a grid. Half the holes are precision bored for dowel pins and the other half are threaded. Seems to work well for him.

On my FP2, the main limitation on size of work is the travel, not the size of the table. Having said that, a while ago I did some work to the table from my Studer cylindrical grinder, which was a bit too long to fit on the FP2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Final clean-up was with the horizontal spindle, after measuring and mapping the deviation from parallel on the grinder:

attachment.php

This was to mount a Renishaw scale under the table, final result is here:

attachment.php

The gold-colored scale strip is 600mm long, and the underlying steel strip is about 120mm longer. This was a challenge, since the X travel of the FP2 is just 500mm. In the end the strip measured deviation from parallel to the travel of the grinder was 0.03mm (0.0012"). Renishaw specs allow up to 0.1mm deviation.

Bought an FP2NC sometime past and it came with a commercially produced "Jig" plate.
As i recall it was about 1 1/4" thick, Ductile iron i believe. Drilled and tapped in a pattern, with blanking screws in the threaded holes where not being used for hold down...

Was fine and nicely made...I removed it and sold it to a member here. I was unwilling to give up the head height that the plate consumed.

Have done a number of jobs on my machines where i needed more "real estate" and employed box parallels and extensions.

Cheers Ross

Back