Knuth copy of a Deckel FP4M....yes, the M, not the MK....
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default Knuth copy of a Deckel FP4M....yes, the M, not the MK....

    Picked up the latest Knuth catalog at IMTS on Monday and noticed the below. Isn't that bizarre, in 2018, to be making an FP4M copy including the now archaic gearbox axis feed ? Presume made in China but even still, one would think they would at least do a DC drive feed. No clue what it cost as Knuth stopped putting prices in their paper catalogs...which was one of their charms in the past...having the prices stated.

    https://www.knuth-usa.com/fpk-5.html

    Ironic the model name has a "K" in it seeing as it lacks the Deckel MK advantages, like Activ DC drive axis feeds and power drawbar. Maybe simply a matter of the Chinese not having a 4MK in the flesh to copy !

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    282
    Likes (Received)
    191

    Default

    While we are here why dont you check out DMG Mori latest offering.
    Guess what it is a Deckel FP4M Special Edition.

    How much is the knot.. err Knuth?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaszub View Post
    While we are here why dont you check out DMG Mori latest offering.
    Guess what it is a Deckel FP4M Special Edition.

    How much is the knot.. err Knuth?
    Wow...I thought you were kidding....but it's for real.

    https://en.dmgmori.com/resource/blob...4-pdf-data.pdf

    But, important difference.... DMG did it right....that is an updated version of the proper FP4MK machine, with hydraulic drawbar, variable speed axis feeds, etc.......interesting.

    (Re the Knuth FP4M copy, just for giggles I asked this afternoon and it turns out they don't offer it in the USA.... but I got hints it would be somewhere in the $50,000 price range if they did)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    282
    Likes (Received)
    191

    Default

    AT 69K EUro for a somewhat original Deckel doesnt seam so bad. I really dont see myself spending over 100K for Kunz even tho their machine looks really nice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    86

    Default

    The DRO is a Heidenhain, I wonder which model it is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kees View Post
    The DRO is a Heidenhain, I wonder which model it is.
    new ND7013 model... I saw it in the Heidenhain booth on Monday at IMTS Chicago... will replace the ND780.

    Notice this special edition has no horizontal spindle (-) and no spindle gearbox....VFD driven apparently (+)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaszub View Post
    AT 69K EUro for a somewhat original Deckel doesnt seam so bad. I really dont see myself spending over 100K for Kunz even tho their machine looks really nice.
    OTOH, the Knuzmann equivalent to this would be about $90,000 and would have horizontal spindle (accessed the same as a Maho...remove vertical head and swivel it out of the way on integral bracket)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    232
    Likes (Received)
    1273

    Default

    Is the knuth FP4M the Iranian version perhaps ?

    It was offered in Germany for a while

    Peter

    On edit
    Found them
    MST.IR




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Is the knuth FP4M the Iranian version perhaps ?

    It was offered in Germany for a while

    Peter

    On edit
    Found them
    MST.IR



    I asked if made in Iran and the Knuth guy replies it is made in India for the Euro market.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Benicia California USA
    Posts
    7,557
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1587
    Likes (Received)
    1860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post

    Notice this special edition has no horizontal spindle (-) and no spindle gearbox....VFD driven apparently (+)
    Machine caught my interest until i read your post.......
    No horizontal, No Way!!!!
    Cheers Ross

  11. Likes Milacron, Colt45 liked this post
  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    282
    Likes (Received)
    191

    Default

    No horizontal ...I just lost all interest in it.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Machine caught my interest until i read your post.......
    No horizontal, No Way!!!!
    Cheers Ross
    The specs didn't mention horzontal so then I looked more closely at the photos and sure enough, don't see a spindle where there should be one.

    Bet if Sneebot was paying attention to this thread he would have noticed that before any of us

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    605
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    692
    Likes (Received)
    86

    Default

    No horizontal on the DMG FP4M is a deal breaker for sure!
    Amazing that they left that out, considering that they did several other things right.
    Kunzmann has a horizontal spindle and a more sophisticated control, higher spindle speed and many more options available.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    21,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    6821

    Default OT: We seek him here. we seek him there...

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I asked if made in Iran and the Knuth guy replies it is made in India for the Euro market.
    Off-topic, but folks have been speculating about the hurricane and your Dogpatch facility and corpus safety.

    Give IMTS still has another day to run, shall we presume you be where Hurricanes are not a "clear and PRESENT danger"?

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post

    Bet if Sneebot was paying attention to this thread he would have noticed that before any of us
    ha ha, I'm a little late. I do notice that documentation on CD or hard copy is an option which seems a bit ludicrous.

  17. Likes AlfaGTA, Milacron liked this post
  18. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    21,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    6821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sneebot View Post
    ha ha, I'm a little late. I do notice that documentation on CD or hard copy is an option which seems a bit ludicrous.
    Depends. Some years ago I built a website for a European client. They paid extra to have it built in a manner such that it could not be machine-"ripped"- already a known-problem, competitors and independent distributors.

    Within six months, they asked for a copy on CD they could give out at trade shows!

    Expensive exercise, that was!

    By contrast, a motorcar two or three orders of magnitude more complex than a CNC critter, (FIVE 'puters on the data bus in a Jaguar or Land Rover, not just one or two..) one can find full service manuals on CD/DVD for small change.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Benicia California USA
    Posts
    7,557
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1587
    Likes (Received)
    1860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

    By contrast, a motorcar two or three orders of magnitude more complex than a CNC critter, (FIVE 'puters on the data bus in a Jaguar or Land Rover, not just one or two..) one can find full service manuals on CD/DVD for small change.
    Lets hope that they had the good sense to get the Germans , or Japanese to do the electronics....More is not necessarily better..............
    Cheers Ross

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    What's so great about FP4M/MK anyway?

    Control and feed system is complete crap, 1 feed drive for 1 active axis at a time only.
    1980 it might have been OK, because of insane prices for servo and electronics at the time. But nowadays, why not put 3 servos and a somewhat modern CNC control into it and get all the advantages like circular interpolation, diagonal paths, thread milling... with it, when you need it?!?
    I'm always a bit pissed, if I need that on my old Maho 700P/TNC135, but I understand, its 38 years old, in good condition and was rather cheap, so I can live with it. But buying such a limited machine nowadays, no way.

    Futhermore, the vertical head on non-fliphead FPs looks extremely stupid. And without vertical spindle, it's even more retarded.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    5389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMahoDude View Post
    What's so great about FP4M/MK anyway?

    Control and feed system is complete crap, 1 feed drive for 1 active axis at a time only.
    1980 it might have been OK, because of insane prices for servo and electronics at the time. But nowadays, why not put 3 servos and a somewhat modern CNC control into it and get all the advantages like circular interpolation, diagonal paths, thread milling... with it, when you need it?!?
    I'm always a bit pissed, if I need that on my old Maho 700P/TNC135, but I understand, its 38 years old, in good condition and was rather cheap, so I can live with it. But buying such a limited machine nowadays, no way.

    Futhermore, the vertical head on non-fliphead FPs looks extremely stupid. And without vertical spindle, it's even more retarded.
    First off, the MK is a very different animal from the M (although for some reason Deckel elected to use M nameplates for both models..thus some confusion) and second, what you describe you want is fulfilled by the Makino KE55... the ultimate combination manual/CNC moldmakers milling machine.



  22. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Benicia California USA
    Posts
    7,557
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1587
    Likes (Received)
    1860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    what you describe you want is fulfilled by the Makino KE55... the ultimate combination manual/CNC moldmakers milling machine.




    Sort of like "Moon Rocks" isn't it....Could have the absolute best features in the universe.....If you can't buy one whats the point.....
    I am sure its a matter of application. Me ,i would still want a sensitive quill, on that vertical...Not quite ultimate IMO. No way would i trade my FP4NC for that Makino, antique control and all.

    As to the complaint of the poster who pans the "Camelback" vertical setup on the FP4M re-pop....I find for some work it has advantage over the "flip head" setup...Mainly that it extends the vertical head space on the machine, an area that i often find in short supply.....


    Cheers Ross


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
2