What's new
What's new

Leaking coolingreservoir Abene

jmbecker

Aluminum
Anybody experience with a leaking Abene VHF 3 ?
After I filled my base with fluid it's leaking at the back ; unfortunately not from the plugs , which I would be able to fix, but it appears to be coming from the bottom.
Any advise would be welcome ; coating the inside ? With what ?
Hope to hear from you. Greetz Jack

I've wondered what areas of the base are used for the coolant reservoir. If you look at the parts manual section 304 Vertical Feed there is cover under the knee screw but there is also a plug in the front of that base which shares that cavity. Is it possible that there in another cover. Doubtful.
I plan to pull my coolant motor in the next month or so and will have a look inside.
Aircraft fuel tank sealant is a pretty good resistant "sloshing compound" but I can't confirm it would stand up to all variations of coolant/oil mixtures.

I decided to pull the coolant pump tonight to check things and at the same time I tilted the mill up about 30 deg (with safety strap around table so it couldn't tip over frontwards) so I could see what is underneath. All that is there appears to be solid casting with no plugs drillings or covers. The pump discharge tube has a pipe thread nipple that goes to the hose. My hose was clamped onto this and then the hose goes up to the tube bolted to the side of the machine. Is it possible you turned on the power and one of the clamps or the hose is leaking. That would tend to drip near the back of the unit but through the big hole below the table motor. Open up the electrical box and have a look. Didn't have time for pictures but it'll be like this for a few days while I figure out how to get ~1" of sludge out of my coolant reservoir. Other than that it would have to be one of the two plugs on the very back of the casting (same as the two on the front).
Chris

Thanks for your fast reply !
In my case it must be the base itself because the coolant pump was not used or attached. So no leaking possible from that area.I will have another look at the plugs but they appeared watertight earlyer on.When I got the Abene the coolant pump was separated from the machine,so on hindsight I suspect that the owner before me had a reason to do that.

If you can find some minor leak you might drill and tap it with a pipe plug, but I just can't imagine the casting leaking. Or maybe you could clean the bottom really well after finding the leak and bond a sheet to the area using some automotive panel bonding adhesive. 3M makes some pretty incredible stuff.

Not to deflect the real question here ,but i was curious as to the intended use for this machine.....
If its going into heavy service with lots of heavy horizontal milling action...running slab mills etc, then yes by all means find and repair the sump leak.

However perhaps for light duty local cutting fluid application via brush or perhaps investing in a micro drip coolant setup would be effort better spent.
Personally ,i hate dealing with coolant....The rust and slime it leaves on the machine, having to monitor the PH of the mix and watching for nasties that grow in the sump...
along with the smell it generates.....You can go full synthetic, and that will help with the foreign matter growth and smell, but it will kill the paint on your machine......

On my CNC Deckels (moderate use,non production) i run a clear cutting oil. Not the most efficient, but way less bother. On my manual mills don't screw with coolant at all (FP2 and FP3)

Think its sort of curious to design or engineer a machine sump with plugs and cover plates that live below the liquid line ......Plenty enough spots for fluids to get out and on the floor from slides and splash
without inviting additional escape points.

Cheers Ross

I agree with AlphaGTA but the problem is that I'm a bit of an obsessive guy ; if possible I want the machine to be as original as possible.
It is for me more like a restoration project. Thanks anyway for all the comment and suggestions. Maybe somebody knows a good " sealant " for when I decide to try to seal it from inside ?

Could it have frozen with water in sump and cracked or somebody used a BIG prybar under it at a weak point?

Picture of mine. Note that at this angle the mill will tip over frontwards so be forewarned (which mine didn't do but easily could have if I wasn't thinking). Otherwise I am unable to contribute further.

DSC_8259.jpg

Maybe somebody knows a good " sealant " for when I decide to try to seal it from inside ?

Problem with tank sealers/ slushing compounds is really most of that stuff was designed for aircraft to seal fuel in wing/spars etc.....Usually applied on fresh clean base material.
At the very least, on material that has a tight surface....It is also made to be applied by rotating the part to allow the liquid to roll around in the cavity and fill any voids.
This, of course will not be possible in your case....

You are dealing here with cast iron , porous and has had years of oil/coolant soak.....almost impossible to get clean and that means that the bond of any sealer will be reduced.
I would cast my vote against putting any type of tank sealer in that sump...because in the end the result will more than likely be a bigger mess than what you have now.....

Here in "Old Car" hell, can't tell you the number of times we have to remove tank sealer from old gas tanks...It never seems to be a lasting solution even if applied by pro's in a shop environment.
(many commercial radiator shops will "repair" gas tanks) Sealer is a solution some offer.....Perhaps i have been unlucky in my career to only ever see the failed sealer jobs.. none the less,
sealer would be the last choice i would exercise.

Find the leak and devise a mechanical repair if you must have a working sump.
Pipe plugs, cover plates (on the outside) with multi fastners and an epoxy sandwich to seal (plate keeps the epoxy in place...outside better chance of good surface prep)
or if cracked i would consider metal stitching using iron plugs...This can be liquid tight if applied properly using Loctite .

There are good (engine) block sealing products, but to get best results you need to circulate the sealer at an elevated temp, then drain and allow to air cure before any fluid is applied. Not
sure how block sealers will contend with cutting fluids....not what they are formulated for....Plus my belief is that they have a limited ability to seal large leaks.

Cheers Ross

Problem with tank sealers/ slushing compounds is really most of that stuff was designed for aircraft to seal fuel in wing/spars etc.....Usually applied on fresh clean base material.
At the very least, on material that has a tight surface....It is also made to be applied by rotating the part to allow the liquid to roll around in the cavity and fill any voids.
This, of course will not be possible in your case....

You are dealing here with cast iron , porous and has had years of oil/coolant soak.....almost impossible to get clean and that means that the bond of any sealer will be reduced.
I would cast my vote against putting any type of tank sealer in that sump...because in the end the result will more than likely be a bigger mess than what you have now.....

Here in "Old Car" hell, can't tell you the number of times we have to remove tank sealer from old gas tanks...It never seems to be a lasting solution even if applied by pro's in a shop environment.
(many commercial radiator shops will "repair" gas tanks) Sealer is a solution some offer.....Perhaps i have been unlucky in my career to only ever see the failed sealer jobs.. none the less,
sealer would be the last choice i would exercise.

Find the leak and devise a mechanical repair if you must have a working sump.
Pipe plugs, cover plates (on the outside) with multi fastners and an epoxy sandwich to seal (plate keeps the epoxy in place...outside better chance of good surface prep)
or if cracked i would consider metal stitching using iron plugs...This can be liquid tight if applied properly using Loctite .

There are good (engine) block sealing products, but to get best results you need to circulate the sealer at an elevated temp, then drain and allow to air cure before any fluid is applied. Not
sure how block sealers will contend with cutting fluids....not what they are formulated for....Plus my belief is that they have a limited ability to seal large leaks.

Cheers Ross

Thanks for the advise ! Not sure how I'am going to handle this, Jack

Could it have frozen with water in sump and cracked or somebody used a BIG prybar under it at a weak point?

Picture of mine. Note that at this angle the mill will tip over frontwards so be forewarned (which mine didn't do but easily could have if I wasn't thinking). Otherwise I am unable to contribute further.

View attachment 163577

Picture unfortunately too small to see details ; your suggestion about frozen and prybar is possible but not verifiable .

FYI : it turned out that the base is not leaking ! The cause of the " leaking " where two incredible small holes next to the two plugs on the back ! Apparently these are a sort of " overflow " holes ; maybe to determine the filling level ? Anyway I'm glad all is well and even the pump is working flawlessly.
Greetz, Jack

Lucky you. If you get a free minute grab a picture. I looked on mine and didn't see anything as described.

I will.On second thought ,I'm not too sure this is original.On the other hand ,why would anyone want to drill holes there ?

Perhaps the holes are threaded and the intent was to use washers or a sort of dog to help retain the plugs by over lapping.
Sort of like the high performance guys do with core plugs on an engine block....
Cheers Ross

The holes don't look very original ( asymmetric ),(See images ). So I think I will plug them.
Greetz, Jack20160226_095304.jpg20160226_095225.jpg

I don't have holes there and by the looks of the staining pattern you have 4 holes there, not just two. I'd probably tap them for 1/8" pipe plugs and put some set screw style plugs in.

Back