What's new
What's new

Looking to borrow a Deckel spindle protector in immaculate condition

jariou

Cast Iron
Hi,

I'm a new FP1 owner looking to make some "artsy fartsy" Deckel themed project for Christmas and for eventually thanking those of you who have and will help me resolve my problems, since I will most likely ask a few questions in the days and weeks to come!

I would need to borrow a spindle protector like the following but in absolute perfect condition.

Deckel Spindle Protector.jpg

The picture is not great, it is taken too much directly from the top. But if you own a Deckel and have that part, you know what I am talking about. I know there is another model of those, so either or both would be nice I guess.

Just contact me with a pm if you can help. I will gladly pay for shipping both way. I need to have it in hand just a few days, so maybe a whole week or 10 days turnaround time. I want to make some molds from it. No machining involved, no destructive process involved.

Thanks in advance.

Jacques

Yeah, Peter, I know.

Perhaps those of you who might be willing to help but do not think that their part is good enough could put up a picture (or two) showing what's good and what's bad, then I could make an enlightened choice.

As I said, I want to use moldmaking silicone to make a mold to be able to make copies quickly and easily. The quality of the copies will depend directly on the quality of the "mother plug". If there are a few negative scratches, I probably could fill them with wax or something like that. So, "perfect condition" might not be exactly what I need, but the closer to it, the better the end result. There must be someone out there with a part that has been babied! ;-)

Jacques

I use silicone because I have it. I can reuse the same mold many times, it only becomes brittle after 4 or 5 years. The flexibility of the mold makes it very easy to take to copies out.

Furthermore, the process is very simple and very clean, and the reproduction fidelity is outstanding.

It is probably significantly more expensive per use than what you do, but it is still not that expensive, maybe $10 per pound of material. And I use it to make many copies.

And, by the way, when I say silicone, I mean RTV silicone, Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone.

Jacques

The plastic on that logo is not very strong or hard! Reminds me of the stuff that Deckel used to make the side panels of the NC's....soft porous stuff that can fracture if looked at the wrong way.
At any rate, that spindle cover likely spent most of its life fitted to the horizontal spindle while the machine was working vertical...a prime spot impinged on by chips and swarf from cutting tools...
I have one ,but its rough owing to a life on a working machine....

The likelihood of some machine owner having a really pristine example in his possession to me seems pretty remote....You want new/prefect...contact Singer

Seems a better bet to make a new replication using a panto or perhaps the punch milling attachments....Seems a good pattern could be made by cutting out thin plastic shim stock in the shape of the lettering and gluing to a base shape done on the mill and lathe....

The cutout letters could be made using a copy after doing the drawing/editing in a photo editor....then applied on the shim stock and carefully cut out....
Sign companies and graphic shops have machines that can cut out shapes like the letters from DXF files and the like...not expensive...can get it on sheets that are adhesive backed that would just stick on the base shape
to make your model for the silicone mold.....

Cheers Ross

Ross, I understand that it might be rare, but I thought I would ask anyway.

I also understand that I can reproduce it the way you describe, or simpler yet, get a friend to CNC it once I built a model, but now we're talking about actual work. I was hoping I could get the mold done in less than an hour of prep if I could put my hands on a great condition model.

I also thought about looking up Singer, but Bruce made it easy for me! Thanks! I was hoping it might have been $25 or $30 plus shipping. How wrong I was!:)

Anyway, I'll check replies and I might just try to see how far I can go with the one I have. Maybe I'll try to make a mold of mine tonight after cleaning it up properly. I'll see if the result is usable for my "artsy fartsy" idea.

Thanks for the inputs.

Jacques

Hi Jacques
That looks like a simple enough 3D cad drawing then 3D print your master.
You could make MT4 & ISO40 versions by just updating your drawing.
You could also allow for shrinkage and get them cast in something more durable like aluminium.
Cheers,
Greg.

Thanks Greg,

I know, it is quite simple, but I don't have a 3D printer or a CNC mill. I am not trying to reproduce the functionality, I am trying to make something that looks exactly like the face of it but with a completely different function. Molding is the simplest way for a variety of reasons, not the least of it being that I have done that hundreds of times. Also, the surface finish is very important for this functionality, otherwise it won't look good. 3D printing in a hobby machine won't likely produce a result I would like.

But I agree, it is a simple model and I looked online to see if I could get some models already available just for the logo itself. I found a few things. I might go bother my friend with he CNC mill over the weekend.

Thanks anyway

Jacques

Back