What's new
What's new

Looking for pull studs for FP2NC for CAT40 and SK40

rimcanyon

Diamond
Previously I bought some used Cat40 pull studs from Arno, and SK40 pull studs from Franz, but I can't find Franz' listing any more (he has a lot of different pull studs listed with DIN2040 and SK40 in the title, so I think there is more to search for, suggestions appreciated). I never knew of a source for the new CAT40 pull studs, where can I purchase them?

they seem to be gone from his ebay shop, but are still listed on the website, link below
Anzugsbolzen SK40 DIN2080 innen M16 mit O-Ring

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I also found this listing by w-tool on Ebay:
Sk40 m16 Suit din2080 Studs OTT Groove Internal Thread | eBay

However, he quoted $50 for shipping one pull stud (he uses UPS). Does Deutsche-Post offer global priority flat rate mailers, the same as we have in the US to mail to Germany? I.e. with a flat rate and a weight limit of 9kg? 9kg would be a lot of pull-studs...

DHL from Germany to the USA is summarized here (click on Zone 5):
Preise und Produkte fur Ihren internationalen Versand | DHL

8 Euros up to 2kg if under 35x25x3cm
16 Euros up to 2kg if larger
37 Euros up to 5kg

Given the small size of pull studs, you ought to be able to get a good number into a cheap 2kg package. But note that it's only the 37 Euro package and
up that's insured for a reasonable amount (500 Euros). For the others you can only insure up to 50 Euros, and that costs 4 Euro extra.

Bruce, thanks for the info on DHL rates. I was told by w-tool that due to Covid-19, all DHL shipments are being sent by ship and take a while to get to the destination, that is why he uses UPS. I have no idea if that is accurate.

Mari-tool's pricing for CAT40 pull studs is probably reasonable, but it about doubles the cost of tool holders. NMTB40 is still the most economical way to go.

Bruce, thanks for the info on DHL rates. I was told by w-tool that due to Covid-19, all DHL shipments are being sent by ship and take a while to get to the destination, that is why he uses UPS.

About six weeks ago I sent an FP1 slotting head to California via DHL (two packages). Door to door was about 30 days.

Mari-tool's pricing for CAT40 pull studs is probably reasonable, but it about doubles the cost of tool holders. NMTB40 is still the most economical way to go.

Dave:
Not sure you will find "quality" pull studs for your CAT tooling cheaper than Mari-Tool.
Not sure i understand your comment regarding NMTB 40 tooling.....
Been awhile since i looked but i recall that there was a better selection of CAT tooling both new and used at good prices if you shop carefully.
The more current CAT holders offer better selection , variety and IMHO better quality than what is currently found in the NMTB world.

If cost is a problem, remember that you can always swap the pull stud between your rarely used holders to save having to purchase a stud for every holder.

On NMTB tool holders, are you cutting your own grooves on the small end of the holder to allow the gripper to engage.?
Cheers Ross

Dave:
Not sure you will find "quality" pull studs for your CAT tooling cheaper than Mari-Tool.
Not sure i understand your comment regarding NMTB 40 tooling.....
Been awhile since i looked but i recall that there was a better selection of CAT tooling both new and used at good prices if you shop carefully.
The more current CAT holders offer better selection , variety and IMHO better quality than what is currently found in the NMTB world.

If cost is a problem, remember that you can always swap the pull stud between your rarely used holders to save having to purchase a stud for every holder.

On NMTB tool holders, are you cutting your own grooves on the small end of the holder to allow the gripper to engage.?
Cheers Ross

Hi Ross, I find used CAT40 and NMTB40 tool holders to be about the same price, and in general, the pull stud then almost doubles the cost of the cat40 tool holder. And yes, I machine the groove in the NMTB tool holder. I have a few German tool holders that came with an integral DIN2040 end, but they are not common in the used market here in the USA. Cost is not a problem, per se, but being economically minded comes naturally. It would be different if I was being paid to get a job done.

Dave

I have a small DHL shipment, <1kg, from overseas arriving tomorrow, or maybe today. Tracker shows it came by air. Total door to door will by ~5 days. Cost was $10.

I bought some of Mari-Tools’ cat40 pull studs, they are really nice. However, I am still looking for SK40 (BT) pull studs. At first sight I thought these are not correct:
5 Anzugsbolzen Zwischenlosung fur DIN2080 SK40 der Deckel Frasmaschine | eBay

However, maybe they will work just fine, even though the shape is different from the ones with the red tops that Singer used to sell. Has anyone tried these on FP2,3,4NC?

Think that does not have the correct head configuration to work with the FPNC grippers.
There are some issues running BT40 and CAT40 in the same machine- my experience is the BT holder/stud combination is shorter than CAT40 holder/stud.
One side effect is if the drawbar and ejector are correctly adjusted for CAT40, BT40 will not release and eject.
IMHO it's not worth the hassle to try and run both CAT and BT.

I already have a combination of cat40 and sk40, using cat40 pull studs from Arno and Maritool, and sk40 pull studs from Franz (the ones with the red tops which he doesn't seem to sell any more). Sometimes the sk40 holders stick but not often. They are pretty easy to remove if they stick, a tap from a lead hammer does the trick, or just a downwards tug. A lot of my tool holders are sk40 so I need to keep both going.

Back to the question: doesn't DIN2080 mean they should work? They have a groove in the right location, so would the Deckel gripper work with that design? Anyone knowledgeable on DIN standards please comment.

DIN 2080 covers several sizes (30/40/50 tapers) and is the spec for the taper, flange, drive tabs and internal thread, not the pull stud per se.
The FPXNC stud has what is called an "OTT" groove, you need a "2080 spec/SK40" pull stud that features the OTT groove and the M16 male thread on the pull stud.
Not to be overly semantic, but "SK40" is German for Steep Taper 40 and can refer to CAT, BT or NMTB type holders.

Last edited:

Back