What's new
What's new

Machining a new mounting flange for an FP4 Table

sneebot

Stainless
Here are some images that show the process from 300# block of Durabar to 115# final machined part...

1.Original next to the raw 3" thick block
2.Up onto the FP4
3.Rough face one side and two holes
4.Up into the CNC
5.On the table

20201229_142946.jpg20201229_150828.jpg20201229_180004.jpg20201230_112012.jpg20201230_113810.jpg

Excellent!
What cutting tools are you using?
Nice to see Kopal clamps in action.
How do you deal with cast iron swarf in the coolant?

Very, really very beautiful job....

Now looking at the two parts sitting side to side on the last picture has me wondering : what's the real structural role of the stock the previous owner trimmed off on the original flange ?
How thick is that area on the part you made and for what gain/loss both in rigidity/weight ?

It's my gut feeling that most of the forces are actually handled by the external portion of the T-nut slot on those flanges. I don't know on the old FP4, but on smaller tables like the 2038 and the 2231, the bolt in the central pivot doesn't get through the flange and isn't attached to the x carriage (wich is a design flaw imho).
So the holding strengh of the central portion of the flange is probably reduced to the limited amount of stock left under the T-slot and actually rather limited.

A second question I have is what's the purpose of the bore in the central lower portion of the flange ?
Is it like on smaller tables, where the nut for the side-tilting screw attaches ?

Again, congratulations for the nice part ! :)

Excellent!
What cutting tools are you using?
A variety of stuff I had on hand- SGS, Imco and Helical.

Nice to see Kopal clamps in action.
By far the best table clamps I have ever used. Easy and fast to set up, super fast in use. The
biggest plus, in my opinion, is the fact there are no parts to keep in alignment, steps to line
up etc.

How do you deal with cast iron swarf in the coolant?
It's crappy. Makes everything filthy, me included.

Matt, that's nice work, thank you for posting this. Are you going to spot and scrape the mating surfaces? Cheers, Bruce

I haven't checked it on the surface plate but I believe the two faces are quite flat and parallel after facing-- but it's something I'll need to check.

How thick is that area on the part you made and for what gain/loss both in rigidity/weight ?

That area is about 16mm thick. As they sit in the last image the original is 100#
while the machined part is 115#. The original is a beefy part and would probably
function just fine.

The FP4 X axis slide has four t-slots. Most of the tables (except the rigid table)
utilize three of the slots (the third slot down is used for table keys). This particular
table uses up a lot of Z height in its nominal mounting position. I'd like to mount it
lower down than nominal by one slot. To do this I'd like a set of bolts in the lowest
T-slot. This would have been difficult with the previous owners modifications. The machined
part is a slightly modified design as it allows bolts in all t-slot locations.

It's my gut feeling that most of the forces are actually handled by the external portion of the T-nut slot on those flanges. I don't know on the old FP4, but on smaller tables like the 2038 and the 2231, the bolt in the central pivot doesn't get through the flange and isn't attached to the x carriage (wich is a design flaw imho).
So the holding strengh of the central portion of the flange is probably reduced to the limited amount of stock left under the T-slot and actually rather limited.

This is considerably beefier than the smaller tables. The flange where the bolts slots
are located is ~1.4" thick. There is a bolt that goes from the rest of the table into
the pivot pin.

A second question I have is what's the purpose of the bore in the central lower portion of the flange ?
Is it like on smaller tables, where the nut for the side-tilting screw attaches ?

There are three bores in the center of the part-- all are press fit locations. From the top:
-Press fit pin for Pivot
-Press fit bushing for nut (it rotates in the bushing) for above pivot
-Press fit pin that provides end stops for above pivoting

I haven't checked it on the surface plate but I believe the two faces are quite flat and parallel after facing.

I've had mixed experiences with cast iron. Sometimes the parts are flat after machining, sometimes not. FWIW, when my FP2 table came back from having the top planed by Singer & co, I found that they had scraped the mounting flange for flatness and squareness.

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

By far the best table clamps I have ever used. Easy and fast to set up, super fast in use. The
biggest plus, in my opinion, is the fact there are no parts to keep in alignment, steps to line
up etc.

I never got over the fact that my first FP2 had a couple of those clamps that never reached me...:)

BR,
Thanos

T:
Not sure i understand this statement....
My 2038 table (FP4NC) has a bolt that passed through both plates of the table base at the swivel pivot point. It does connect with the "X" slide "T" slot.
There is a complicated lever that engages a splined nut to allow loosening? tightening by jumping the lever a spline tooth at a time...the lever is long enough to allow reaching it under the table....It indeed does apply clamping pressure through the base to the "X" slide.....

Have seen a number of the 2038 installs and often the lever and center bolt are missing. But i don't see that as a design fault.

Lever:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Special nut:
attachment.php

Cheers Ross

Matt:
Love the work! Its like real machine work here....excellent. Thanks for posting.
What is the VMC?
Can you tell us the real cost of the material with shipping?
Cheers Ross

I’ve never machined iron with the combo of that thin and wide/long. Curious- do you plan a stress relief heat cycle?

L7

Back