What's new
What's new

Maho 400E blows fuses on start

blablinsky

Plastic
Hi folks,

My 1988 Maho 400E on Philips 432, has been working ok for several weeks, occupying a tidy space in my garage and keeping me busy to my wife's amusement.
After coming over some basic problems with being stuck on an endstop I was merrily getting used to the controls, rotating the spindle and moving the axes there and back again.

One day after a fair 20 minutes of joy, nothing exhausting, it just popped two phases in a fuse box on the wall and died.
From that time on it blows the fuses and refuses to start.

There are some circumstances accompanying my tragedy...
1. The weather was rather windy lately and there were problems with power. Nothing unusual though.
2. During that time I had an impression that the screen starts a little more lazy than before, and a few times it has started with "no signal" messages.
I thought it could be due to one phase being out, than it has started ok.
3. The machine had a VERY loud cooling contraption on the back, just as these guys one:MAHO MH400E zerlegen und Transport in den Keller #01 - YouTube (seen around 1:10)
Two large radial fans making so much noise it was hard to work.
From a very reliable source I know that earlier models (1986) had no such cooler. The manual states that if the temperature inside the cabinet exceeds 40 degrees C the machine reacts somehow,
either by warning light or shutting down I can't remeber now.
Since it's quite chilly in my garage (around 10 C) I decided to disconnect the gargantuan fans. I worked on it several times, without problems until it's demise.

Could it be the case that the indramat has burned and there is a short cirquit? I studied the connections but I have no wiring diagrams and it is quite hard.
My Maho has Cirquit diagram Nr. E-5539, and indramat type 3TRM-G11-W07ZE5. Perhaps somebody has a similar diagram, I'm not wxactly sure where to start searching.

I don't think it was overheating issue, the Philips computer has two separate fans for itself.
Perhaps shutting down that aircraft cooler was silly but the other option was to bury the whole thing in the ground with bare hands and teeth.

Verify the incoming power....Be sure its up to the nominal voltage for your service.
Most industrial machines have over temp controls on sensitive areas...if it gets too hot it will shut down before any damage. Don't know about your Maho.
You are going to need a real electrical print.....no way anyone can hope to keep older CNC machines going without such...That is your first step!
Without the prints you will have to pay a professional to solve even simple problems every time they crop up.
Cheers Ross

Yeah I have written to european DMG, perhaps they could help. Polish DMG did not replied.
The mains is ok, I've measured. Could try to connect eg. three 2kW pots, one to each phase and turn them on simultaneoulsy, but one by one work ok.
It's strange that the fuses in the machine stay intact, only these on the wall do blow up.

Back