Thread: Maho MH600

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maho MH600

Hello!

I am new here, I purchased an early maho MH 600 recently.
    It was covered in slight rust and it was all dirty, I am slowly cleaning it up.

What I noticed and confused me was that the lubrication "map" says oil almost everyhere but I have funky looking grease fittings all over it. To the horizontal spindle bearings and even to the ways.
    do you think those fittings are original? they are authentic looks to be original.
    ehat do you think?

Maho – jenco – album na Rajčeti

I will add close ups of the grease fittings to the gallery.

2. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those funky looking grease fittings are used for injecting OIL. The lubricant you put into the fitting is based on what the machine needs, not the type of fitting. YES, those are the original fittings. Get (or make) a proper gun. I use a Reilang oil gun and it is awesome (expensive and worth every penny). I tried a regular squirt can which I made a fitting for - it would not generate enough pressure.

You may be able to modify a push style grease gun (often used for lubricating the roller nose of a power saw bar) for injecting oil. You could also modify a regular grease gun, but it is hard to seal it up enough so it isn't leaking oil all the time. The Reilang does not leak and works at any angle.

Welcome to the Old MH 600 club. Pictures please (and the story of how it came to you). David

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your reply David,

Well thats good and bad news for me, good that I knew for sure that those fittings are for oil, bad that I have found grease underneath them So I can take the whole thing apart and clean the parts from grease and oil them...

I got the machine from Switzerland, I am from Slovakia, thru a guy that brings machines here, I dont know much of the history of the machine. but knowing that it didnt run on proper lubricants it not too good This is my first mill, I wanted one for a long time. Photos of the machine are here:
    Maho – jenco – album na Rajčeti

Could you please send me a photo of the proper oil gun to be used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are a few oil guns to choose from (depending on how much you want to modify things). Here is a link: Adapters for European oil fittings?

The photo link doesn't work for me. Good luck with the new mill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice machine you have got there. Good idea to pull the ways apart and wash out that grease. You need correct way oiling, and decent scrapers to prevent galling of the ways with time.

This is the sort of oil press I use on my german lathe (which was also a grease victim when I got it).
    Kolbenstoßölpresse mit Hydraulikmundstück aus schlagfestem Kunststoff und einer Füllmenge von 110ccm - WTB Wagner Technik Berlin
    Mark

7. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe those guns have gotten better...have had a number of those (as linked above) and frankly i hate them...they are habitual leakers!
    For me , you need to fill them almost every time you go around the machine ...and if there is any left in the gun it will have leaked out by the next time
    you want to use the machine.....

I use the German made "Twin-Lock" oil guns......About the size of a cartridge grease gun..so it holds enough oil to be usable for more than a single lube cycle....Has "O" ring seals easily filled by removing the cap and pouring in the oil.
    If you pull the spring loaded plunger back and lock it the gun won't just sit there and drool when stored, release the plunger to use......
    Gun has an air bleed to remove the trapped air from the pump action after filling.....just works better!

The gun in question is item # G7010...at the bottom of the page.

Grease / Oil Guns << Dyna Power

Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The press oiler I have doesn't leak at all. It was pretty cheap too, and I only have to refill it a couple times /year.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a machine that has been cared for, even if there's been grease used recently rather than oil used. My hunch is that it'll clean up fine. Interesting that the early MH600's used lever gear change rather than dials. I wonder if Maho copied Deckel or vice versa. I'd never noticed that before.

Charles

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi!

After a long research I have found a push type oiler for a nice price, they have various sizes in Czech republic (closest to where I live) up to 250ml.

Yes the machine looks okay maybe it looks a little better in the photos than it is in real life.
    The nuts have approx 0,5mm play in them and the ways are stained dark.
    One thing I didnt like was the shaft end of the vertical head that goes into a bronze bushing over the back of the horizontal spindle, there is an oil pocket with a sight glass on the side of the machine. well that thing really needed the oil. Ran dry.

This piece I got is a really interesting one. I couldnt find a machine exactly like this, some kind of transition between the maho SK 250 and the MH 600. The serial number is 1661.

I dont have much time for the machine right now but as I progress I will kep you updated.

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi!

Today I have found some goodies at the scrapyard. a nice oil gun too 250ccm I only had to clean it from grease (it was usef fo grease)

imag0411.jpg

Whats your opinion on this? table cranked all the way up and I have found corrosion on the left way.

imag0414.jpg

imag0415.jpg

Is that a huge issue for a hobbyist? I would like to use the machine mostly in that area, (vertical milling)

I also sorted out the vertical power feed. I expected something bad because the handle was broken off and I couldnt mesh the gears but luckily it was just a bunch of chips. The only thing left to do with it is to make a new handle from steel instead of the broken cast handle.

imag0417.jpg

imag0419.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jenco View Post
    Whats your opinion on this? table cranked all the way up and I have found corrosion on the left way.

imag0414.jpgimag0415.jpg

Is that a huge issue for a hobbyist? I would like to use the machine mostly in that area, (vertical milling)
    How do the discolored area feel to the touch? I have machines with similar discoloration on the ways, but I cannot feel any difference compared to the silvery areas. If the areas are relatively smooth, I'd just oil the thing up with way oil and use it. If you try to take off the corrosion product, you risk losing material you cannot put back.

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The right way feels smooth to the touch I cant feel difference there.
    The left darkest part of the left way isnt smooth its almost lightly pitted there. The right part of the left way is smooth to the touch.
    All I did was that I hit it with a worn out fine scotchbrite soaked into engine cleaner.

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

imag0643.jpg

A little proress. Took apart the vertical head, cleaned up the grease, changed one bad bearing, painted the thing. feels and looks sweet.