What's new
What's new

Manual Deckel FP3

Andy St

Stainless
I still have not been able to find or buy a manual for the mill or fine boring head in English. I'm still working on that with one or two PM members. Please keep that in mind as that is why I have some of these questions and or observations.I did spend some time on PM trying to look up info.I had some time today to do some more work on the FP3. The mill has cleaned up nicely and I have only discovered a few minor problems. I moved the machine into it's final temporary working space.

I will still need to get some consumables from Singer bellows and way wipers etc.before really using it.

For lubrication I'm going to stick with the two I use on the FP3NC. Mobil DTE 25 for the 2 gear transmissions and Mobil Vacuoline 1419 for the one shot way pump?The mill seemed to be well lubed when I got it.I drained everything and refilled them. I do have a question about the top end (head stock, ram, Y slide,vertical head and fine boring head) and what oil to use, where to use it and how much. I have the fine boring head setup on the mill now and think it will stay there most of the time when I'm using the mill. It seems the right choice for light milling, lots of drilling and boring.

YouTube

I can use the horizontal spindle for heavier milling if needed (that video is pushing it)

Starting with the fine boring head.
I oiled the outside of the quill and drive rod. I greased the two speed gear box on top. Also oiled the shifting fork fitting on top of the feed selection dial. I used the DTE 25.I will grease the spindle with the proper grease in the near future.Should I oil all of the gears and other things below the cover on the boring head or do they get oil splashed up from below? It seems very clean in there but also very dry. With the fine boring head installed the oil port / screw on the ram seems in the wrong position to oil the top end. Should I just oil it in the opening between the boring head ram and the normal vertical head or still use the oil port on the ram? Which oil should I use? Both of the oils I have seem right for different parts of the top end. How much oil should I add at first and on going to the top end?

So the mill came with the three factory guns and at least three different oil / grease fittings. It seems like everything should be oil so why three?

This is all for the FP3 but maybe the FP1 or FP2 which seem more common would be the same.
Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 560
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 620.jpg
    620.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 342
So if you look at the three guns in the photo below that seem to be original to the mill.

The one on the left has a Zerk type fitting, was empty when I got it but seems to be for oil. The Zerk type fittings I have found so far are beside the feed stick shift and seems like it should take oil and on the vertical head at the top. Not sure what the vertical head one should take( think there was an old post about it)?

The middle gun has grease in it and a fitting that will work with the concave style fittings. One of these concave fittings is also shown in the photo to the left of the guns and is for the feed chain. There was grease in the chain fitting. There is also one on the two speed gear box for the fine boring head.

The gun on the right had a fitting for convex fittings, was empty when I got it but seems to be for oil. One of the convex fittings is used on the fine boring head on top of the feed selection knob and oils the shift fork.

Not sure I will use any of the guns just trying find out what the original use was for.
I bought a Swiss made gun that will work with either Grease or oil to use for oil on the mill. It only has the Zerk type head.

Any help would be great
Andy

Attachments

• 620.jpg
    620.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 123
Hi Andy,

I think you can find many of the answers to your questions in the manual. For example regarding the oil guns:

attachment.php

You can see that one oil gun (with a male fitting) is for grease. The other two, with female fittings, are for oil. One is for gearbox/bearing oil, and the other is for bedway oil.

Here are the English-language instructions for lubricating the fine boring head.

attachment.php

In this copy, the color coding of lubricants has been lost, so here it the German language equivalent with the color coding still intact. The open red circle is spindle oil, 21 cSt at room temperature, and 10 cSt at 100F. The full red circle is bearing oil (same as gearbox). The solid red triangle is general purpose grease, and the open red triangle (in the English version, closed diamond) is spindle bearing grease. At the time Deckel recommended Isoflex Super Tel but these days the experts use Klüber Isoflex NBU 15.

attachment.php

Lastly, here are the instructions for disassembling/adjusting the fine boring head

attachment.php

You should find all of these things in the manual that John sent you. But have a look at your email/PM just in case.

Cheers,
Bruce

I have an almost identical looking FP-3, that I've had for a long time but only recently started using/cleaning up. Drained the old oil and flushing with AW-32 hydraulic oil now.

I'm thinking of a set of bellows and way wipers as well, would be curious to see what it takes to get that stuff...

What serial number is yours?

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_2636.jpgIMG_2637.jpg

I have an almost identical looking FP-3, that I've had for a long time but only recently started using/cleaning up. Drained the oil old and flushing with AW-32 hydraulic oil now.

I'm thinking of a set of bellows and way wipers as well, would be curious to see what it takes to get that stuff...

View attachment 271521

All it really takes is and email to Singer and a bit of cash. It seems every time I have some extra cash something more pressing comes up. Soon

Mine is #1883

I like that head stock cover.

What size kurt is that it looks so big on the table?

I have a 4" kurt on this one but would like to put a 6" vise on it.

Very nice looking machine. I don't think there are many on PM with the FP3.

Do you have the manual for yours?

Andy

Thanks for the info Bruce

I had everything right I believe but possibly slightly different oils. The color codes help.
There seems to be slightly different fine boring heads and also different drawings of them in the manuals.
It looks like some have an extra oil fitting close to the lifting eye?
Still not sure about the oil in the head stock Y ram / Vertical ram. The FP3 seems different in this area from the FP2 ?
In the FP2 manual it says to fill the oil pocket in the head stock. I'll have to do a little searching on PM for a photo of them. I don't really see anything that looks like a pocket on the FP3.

Still learning on this one but I think it will be a great mill.

Andy

I have an almost identical looking FP-3, that I've had for a long time but only recently started using/cleaning up. Drained the old oil and flushing with AW-32 hydraulic oil now.

View attachment 271521View attachment 271524View attachment 271525

I am now officially jealous of everything Alex owns. :eek: :drool5: :bowdown:

Sorry to distract.

Didn't have time to do much on the mill today. I did clean and reform the motor fan cover. It looked like at one time it was hit by a fork lift blade or something. One of the fan blades had broke off as well. That is all back together and working well. that was the dirtiest part of the mill

The oil port on the Vertical ram in the photo is one thing that I'm still not completely sure about. With the fine boring head on and the vertical ram back all the way. Will the port still work to feed oil to the head stock and Y ram.

The old photo of the Fine boring head split is another spot that it looks like no lube will get to. if you pull the lifting eye you might be able to oil it but the t-nut might slide around.

Andy

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 161
The oil port on the Vertical ram in the photo is one thing that I'm still not completely sure about. With the fine boring head on and the vertical ram back all the way. Will the port still work to feed oil to the head stock and Y ram.

Andy

That oil lube point shown in your photo is there to get oil to the upper shaft and bearings in the vertical head mounting casting. (upper "Y")
With the fine boring head in place, there are no moving components in that part of the upper "Y"., so no oil is needed.(disengaged)
When the fine boring head is removed and the upper "Y" moved forward into operating position then you should oil that upper drilling.

The gearing in the front of the fine boring head really will not see any oil from carry over off the drive gear box. I would grease those gears and that bearing.....
Do believe that the drive to the fine boring head will get some oil off carry over from the spindle drive gearing....It does not take much!

The lubrication of the outside of the quill is through a feed hole (covered by a small screw) in the top of the gauge block holder slot.
You move the gauge block holder all the way down (thumb screw on the shaft) , remove the small screw and apply oil to the drilling. There are a of holes that lead the oil into an annular groove
in the casting that feeds oil to the quill. I work the quill a few strokes while applying the oil.
Clearances here are close so light oil is the ticket, way oil is too thick to effectively enter the clearance between the quill and casting.

Cheers Ross

In response to 1000EE Monarch, Cosa in Canada sells bellows and way wipers (or did sell several years ago when I bought my last set). Probably easier for a guy in the US is Singer or FPS in Germany.

Curious, is that an Aciera F2 hiding behind your FP3

L7

Thanks Ross
I did find the small hole for the quill when I was lubing it.
One last question on the lubrication of the FP3. How is the Y slide getting oil? is it from the one shot or other?
Thanks again
Andy

Andy:
The oiling of the "Y" slide ways is through oil that is collected in the "Y" slide. Like the FP2 there are catch basins in the inside of the "Y" slide that catches oil splash when the spindle is running.
That oil is wicked via cotton wicks to feed the way surfaces.
Aged machines would be well served to have their wicks replaced with fresh to insure that oil is being fed to the ways in sufficient volume.
I replace mine with un-waxed candle wicking (hobby shop stuff)

As to buying parts from Germany or Canada...Don't know about Cosa ...but i am sure of what you will get from Singer in Germany...He is the real deal, and i have a vested interest in seeing him be successful!.
Cheers Ross

Hi Andy

I have an FP3 will a set of manuals plus a pile of other related documentation and I happy to share.

I also have a Wohlhaupter boring head that is in English (inch), even though we are a metric country.

Over the years I have made or adapted a number of tools for the mill, so might be able to assist there also.

Hi StevenRiddell

Welcome to PM and to the Deckel forum

That would be great. I have still not been able to find the manual for it. I will send you a pm.
Please post a photo of yours if you can.

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy

I have an FP3 will a set of manuals plus a pile of other related documentation and I happy to share.

I also have a Wohlhaupter boring head that is in English (inch), even though we are a metric country.

Over the years I have made or adapted a number of tools for the mill, so might be able to assist there also.

Back