What's new
What's new

manual fp3 to CNC conversion?

stev

Cast Iron
Does anyone know if it is feasible to convert/upgrade an early 70's manual FP3 with power on all axis to a basic CNC capability?
No serious production, or speed needed but would like to do some light CAD/CAM someday.
My guess is - not worth it but I thought I'd ask instead of assume.
Thanks,
Steve

HaHaHaHaHaHa...oh wait, I forgot...Hammerhead in the CNC forum could whip it out in one afternoon...

Okey Dokey,
That's kinda what I thought. Guess I'll just get an old boss 6 for cheap for the CNC stuff.
Thanks for the reality check,
Steve

Well, it's the usual deal, where it could be done, but would be much more cost effective to simply buy a FP3NC Deckel and use it as is. (except of course for the importing CAD part...but we won't go there ;) )

There have been many discussions on this in the past here, so you might do a keyword search to read more.

Yeah that's what I figured,
I usually dig through the searches before asking (don't like looking dumb I guess :confused: ) So I had been digging through the posts but had not found one that specifically addressed a larger mill like an FP3 or FP4 manual conversion.
I was hoping that there might be something different with regards to an FP1 conversion.

I was reading the Deckel brochure and they said something like "their completely modular machine system allows you to switch back and forth" so I was hoping that they meant manual to CNC as well :)
You know like just bolt these accessories onto your 1968 FP3 and you'll have a full 5 axis CNC milling center. :)
Thanks anyways,
Steve

Steve, for the machinery show in Toronto in '75 or '76 (don't remember exactly) we put Slo-Syn servos on the axes of an FP3. We sent pictures to Deckel suggesting that they should do that in the factory.
We caught hell because it was not invented in the Fatherland and the told us that the competitors might get wind of what was up their sleeves.
Took them an other 2 - 3 years to come out with the FP3A with the 2201 straight line CNC.
Canada never learned. Long before my time, in the early 60's the put a MIMIK tracer on a KF and caught hell because it pre-dated the KF2S by a couple of years.
Arno

Arno,
How long have you worked for Deckel/DMG?
Good work is often overlooked. It's a shame really, too bad companies aren't better leveraging creative talent.
Steve

Steve, for the machinery show in Toronto in '75 or '76 (don't remember exactly) we put Slo-Syn servos on the axes of an FP3. We sent pictures to Deckel suggesting that they should do that in the factory.
A find amongst the cobwebs.
FP3_Slo-Syn.jpg

Convert/upgrade process:
Sell FP3 to someone. Use money to buy CNC.

Forget everything else, FP3 has ACME screws, no servos but a centralized feed system, no central lube system, no CNC controller, no CNC'd gear shifter, probably not even glass scales.

Arno:
Long time no post...nice to see you are still around and at least checking in ....
Like the conversion...neat job considering the time frame....

MahoDude:
Correction on your list...FP3 AFAIK all have centeralized lube system...Did come with HH glass scales (albeit not on all)....
In today's view, i agree. Better to purchase a purpose built NC machine than convert a manual machine....
Think at the time that Arno is pointing to the choice was less black and white....Lots fewer options then.
Pretty sure that Slo-Syn control is not even CNC...But rather NC running punch tape and looks to be 2 axis using steppers...
Things have come a long way since 1975....

Cheers Ross

Take extreme caution with programmed lubrication when converting a manual machine.

When Deckel put the Lemoine digitiser on their CNCs they had over 100 machines cease up in no time.
Deckel programmed lube shots to happen only during rapid traverse movements and during the digitizing process steps of a few thou were run for hours.

I allowed Lemoine (half price from Detroit to Deckel from Munich) to show their system in our showroom only after getting a written guarantee, stating that they had revised their system to make a timed retraction, some rapid traverse moves and then carry on digitizing.

Arno:
Long time no post...nice to see you are still around and at least checking in ....
Like the conversion...neat job considering the time frame...
Hello Ross,
I don't think I have anything to contribute any longer.
Of course, the Lemoine lubrication situation will be old news to you..

Pretty sure that Slo-Syn control is not even CNC...But rather NC running punch tape and looks to be 2 axis using steppers...
Dead on, it even still used the ACME screws. You will also note that we put the LKB Jig Boring head on the machine, so, only intended for positioning at that stage. We were sourcing ball screws when we got caught in the cross fire after the boss had sent some glossies to Deckel.

Hello Ross,

Have to respectfully disagree - you are a great contributor to this forum and a huge part of its success and value. I always learn something and occasionally get a chuckle from your posts. Speaking as an owner of several Deckel machines of various vintages, you have really valuable and unique insights to share. Please stick around and post more.

Arno, I don't think we have met but I have read many of your informative (and often entertaining!) posts here. Please don't stop coming by. Greetings from Hannover!

Bruce

Last edited:
Off topic,but there was a time that I quickly returned home from school to read the latest posts from Arno,Martin P,Sean,DeckelFan and AlfaGTA. :codger:

Stephen Thomas comes to mind also...
Michiganbuck, Carbidebob, John Stevenson, to name just a few others outstanding posters...

Back