What's new
What's new

Metric sized flex conduit "HELP"

shapeaholic

Stainless
The control box conduit on my Aciera F4 is in very bad (unusable) condition.
I have been searching catalogs from North American suppliers, but there is not much information available.

Initial research suggests that the fittings are "PG Threads"
This apparently is an obsolete system that was used in Germany and other countries including Switzerland.

Would any of our European friends be able to point me to a source of this material in small quantities?

Any leads would be much appreciated

Peter

Current McMaster catalog #126 has flex conduit and

fittings with PG threads on page 935.

Also PG adapters on page 960.

Metric sized flex conduit "HELP"

I replaced what I believe was the original armored conduit on my Deckel with locally sourced “imperial size” 1 1/4” conduit and fittings. Turns out PG threads are a metric major diameter with a TPI pitch, and I found this was the case for my supposed imperial size conduit as well.

Incidentally the 1 1/4” or equivalent metric size refers to the approximate ID of the conduit, and I could find no specification of the thread size for my vendors conduit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I replaced the flex conduit on my Aciera F5 with 1/2” Anaconda Sealtite M. I cut the male threads off the old fittings and epoxied them onto the new connectors after I turned the threads off. The wires were a snug fit, but it worked out. Here’s some pix of the new installation as well as the original conduit on my F4. The conduit on the F4 has not turned brittle (yet) like the one did on the F5.
77aec4b8a02b0203e04ee032aacdbc16.jpg

062e1a9728ee5279385b382b006c4851.jpg

68836a46a20d538e1632fcb5ca314b99.jpg

9de89fe22bf7a52a8ebcfe00da854156.jpg

2917e5c93524e3dfa027ca51c4c6554a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rklopp
thanks for the pictures and the great idea!
I have subsequently found some more info on the PG threads. they are metric diameter with 18tpi 80* thread,

I may be able to make some adaptors to use conduit like you have done.

One more question, " does the control box mount pipe go straight after the elbow?" On my machine it is angled about 15* to the left and interferes with the coolant drain pan.

Peter

On mine, the elbow looks like a perfect 90° and parallel to the plane of the floor. The top of the control box slopes upward toward the chip pan, but does not interfere.

Peter,

On my Deckel I bought PG to NPT adapters from Electdirect.com . There also might be a supplier for these adapters in Canada, I am sure Google can help you find them. The adapters let you go from PG to NPT and then you can use the flex conduit we can readily buy here in North America.

Good Luck with your repair.

Regards,
Nigel

Don't go crazy with adapters yet!

I replaced what I believe was the original armored conduit on my Deckel with locally sourced “imperial size” 1 1/4” conduit and fittings. Turns out PG threads are a metric major diameter with a TPI pitch, and I found this was the case for my supposed imperial size conduit as well.

Incidentally the 1 1/4” or equivalent metric size refers to the approximate ID of the conduit, and I could find no specification of the thread size for my vendors conduit...

Mkay, I dug up where I bought this and what I bought. ABB CSA125-15 Liquidtight Conduit is what I bought, and I also got the fittings for it in Lumen here in Quebec.
Even though the dimensions for these fittings are all imperial, to my surprise the threads were PG-42, and I suspect if I'd bought the 1" conduit, that I'd have ended up with PG-29 fittings and so wouldn't have had to make an adapter from the junction box on my Deckel.

So, before you go crazy on making adapters (like I did), see if you can't find a local walk-in electrical supplier where you can pick up and measure the conduit and the fittings that go with it.

Thanks all for the help
I have searched further online with the information I’ve gotten.
It may be possible to get conduit with pg fittings ( much to my surprise)

Rklopp
Thanks for the pics
I will post pics of my machine later to show the difference. Your machine must be newer than mine

Peter

As promised here are some work in progress pictures
.IMG_2047.jpgIMG_2054.jpgIMG_2055.jpgIMG_2056.jpg

Sorry they are sideways I still have to figure out the cellphone picture thing

Rklopp
please note the angle of the arm. It looks too substantial to have been bent, and there is no evidence of distortion.
also note the plug on the side of the machine.

Peter

Success

I have done more research, and have come to understand that the conduit in Europe is not so different in sizing from North America ( at least when my F4 was built)
I did some measuring and found that, what is sold as "trade size 3/8" is very close in dimensions to the original on my machine.
I was not able to go out and shop but I was able to order in some non-metallic type 1 flex-conduit that would fit the original fittings.
Of course the rubber gland rings are a bit petrified, but with the judicious use of pliers I was able to get them tight enough to hold.

IMG_2072.jpg

time will tell if this type of conduit will last, but it looks good now.

Pete

Its just conduit, not high pressure steam lines. Does not need to do very much to be effective....no pressure , just some wiring, even if it leaks, so what...don't fall into the trap...here good enough is just fine!
Cheers Ross

As promised here are some work in progress pictures
.View attachment 286170View attachment 286171View attachment 286172View attachment 286173

Sorry they are sideways I still have to figure out the cellphone picture thing

Rklopp
please note the angle of the arm. It looks too substantial to have been bent, and there is no evidence of distortion.
also note the plug on the side of the machine.

Peter

That style of metal reinforced flex conduit, was often used here for hardwiring of machine tools, electric motors, into buildings. Last lot I sighted was Anaconda too. Same brand as the more common unarmored 3 phase orange stuff you usually see in rklopp's picture.

Back