What's new
What's new

Mobile base for a fp4nc

legoboy

Hot Rolled
I would like to build a mobile base for a fp4nc, this would not be a permanent resting place for the machine just something to drop it on for storage. I believe the machine to weigh about 4.5 thousand pounds so I know the dolly would have to be quite stout. My concern is tipping it while moving it around.
What size of footprint would be appropriate to be able to have sufficient stability? I was thinking something like this as a basic idea, where the machine base is as close to ground as possible so if something let go it would not have far to go.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ade-mobile-base-there-bridgeport-mill-154425/

I see two options, either make a custom steel platform for the machine and power cabinet with integral pallet rollers and some steering setup. This will require screw down jacks to make the machine stable for use.

I did this for my tiny FP1 but sizing it up for a FP4NC whilst connected to the power cabinet is a tall order. The power cabinet alone is more than the weight of the FP1. Enclosed are a couple of pictures showing what I made.

Main issue is small rollers do not like uneven surfaces and the amount of man power required to move the combined weight will take several people and be awkward.

Other option is to make a steel platform to secure the machine and cabinet together but designed to take two pallet trucks spaced apart to give stability. Advantage of using pallet trucks is when jacked down the machine is on a stable base and can be used.

Good luck, sounds like a recipe for a hernia or worse.

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 93
I'd recommend raising your weight estimate. I moved my FP4NC on a decent 5000 lb pallet jack, and it seemed overloaded, and it was all the pump could do to raise it enough to roll. Also it was all a 6'4" 290lb man could do to roll it, and not very fast or very far - really needs 2 men. I loaded the machine and control on a 5000 lb capacity hydraulic drop deck trailer and the electric pump wouldn't lift the load by itself. I'd guess 5500 at least for the machine w/o the control. I think they are listed as 5160 lbs and that might be w/o the table which is surprisingly heavy.

Having said that, a sturdy pallet and a heavier pallet jack would be an easy solution, right? It wasn't very tippy once loaded on the pallet jack and having a 4X4 pallet under there would make it even safer.

26494d1285449113-moving-fp3nc-project-home-dsc03464-1024.jpg

That's the deciding factor, do you want to move the machine connected to the power cabinet.

Moving it disassembled as Mud did is relatively easier, but seriously heavy for a small pallet truck.

I'd recommend raising your weight estimate. I moved my FP4NC on a decent 5000 lb pallet jack, and it seemed overloaded, and it was all the pump could do to raise it enough to roll. Also it was all a 6'4" 290lb man could do to roll it, and not very fast or very far - really needs 2 men. I loaded the machine and control on a 5000 lb capacity hydraulic drop deck trailer and the electric pump wouldn't lift the load by itself. I'd guess 5500 at least for the machine w/o the control. I think they are listed as 5160 lbs and that might be w/o the table which is surprisingly heavy.

Having said that, a sturdy pallet and a heavier pallet jack would be an easy solution, right? It wasn't very tippy once loaded on the pallet jack and having a 4X4 pallet under there would make it even safer.

26494d1285449113-moving-fp3nc-project-home-dsc03464-1024.jpg

After giving it more thought this is kinda what I concluded as well. I found a nice pallet and I plan on purchasing 5500lb capacity pallet jack. The table will be on a separate pallet as well as the control. My goal is to able to move the pieces around a little over the next few months with out having to hire a mover every time I need to move 10 feet. On a separate note I may be moving homes in the next couple of years and I realized that I have a lot of equipment to move so, 3 lathes, 3 milling machines, saws, compressor..etc etc. So trying to figure out the most cost effective and safest way of moving equipment is part of my goal. I don't know what others have done when it is time to move locations and then once moved it takes a while to configure everything in its new home. Machinery hoarding has its challenges lol.

FWIW, they do make 10,000 lb capacity manual pallet jacks (I've owned two of them, still have one I never use). They look just like regular capacity pallet jacks except the legs are channel steel and the wheels are all steel with no plastic. Still, hard to get them moving if weight more than 6k, however unless your floor is nearly perfect.

6,500 lb capacity electric pallet jacks are relatively common....nearly zero effort with those....just push up/down buttons and turn throttle handle to get 'er moving. A 6,500 lb electric pallet jack will run just fine on a couple of marine deep cycle batteries for an hour or so....in fact will lift even more in that situation as it doesn't have to lift a heavy battery. Only downside besides usage time when using lighter than standard batteries is then there is not enough weight on the jack for entering iffy pallets and the drive wheels may spin.

28' Yale MPW65, 6,5# Electric Pallet Jack, New Battery, Nice! | eBay

(a curiosity the 12 volt battery however....never seen a larger capacity electric jack that was not 24 volts)

Back