What's new
What's new

Modifying wohlhaupter UK4

Mike Hill

Cast Iron
I’ve had this boring head sitting in a drawer for years it’s 40 taper just like my Bridgeport but since mine has a quick switch spindle it has no draw bar, so I’ve been tossing around the idea of cutting it down to a straight shank, any advice would be appreciated.
Mike757D1167-836D-479C-A7CE-15826258FFBD.jpg

I’ve had this boring head sitting in a drawer for years it’s 40 taper just like my Bridgeport but since mine has a quick switch spindle it has no draw bar, so I’ve been tossing around the idea of cutting it down to a straight shank, any advice would be appreciated.
MikeView attachment 305865

If you haven't needed it for "years"? I'd say you'd be ahead to peddle it. Standard 40-taper it should find a new home soon enough.

JM2CW, but a Wallbanger -4 size boring head is pushing it on the BirdPort infrastructure BACK OF that 40-taper spindle.

I could run one on my USMT Quartet's stiff 5 HP 40-taper horizontal spindle, but even IF the vertical was their optional 40-taper rather than #9 B&S, and even though it has far the stouter dovetail ram and no "nod" knuckle, eg: stiffer than a BirdPort, at the price of also being less versatile, the two smallest sizes of Chandler-Duplex - on 3/4" straight shanks - are about all I am comfortable with.

"YMMV"... but... too easy to tear-up the mill?

One size smaller might make more sense - especially if it is to be straight-shanked into a collet or such. "Native" 40-taper collets for that, here - thanks to another PM member.

It’s a series iI birdport, and it’s not a run of the mill #4 head it’s the taper cutting version

As said.. should find a new home quickly, and at a good price.

Lotta "neat stuff" under-roof here to do all manner of fancy working.

And SOME of it ain't been USED for .. close on 60 years.. nor may ever be, again, too!

"Your Mileage May Vary"

(signed)

Tool-whore-Bill

:D

I'll swap you a 3/4" straight shank Tree taper boring head for your won't fit Wolly. It was made after Tree sold the boring head business, so its actually made by Specialty Cutting Tools.

I might take you up on that offer, you and I had a discussion on these a couple of years ago and mine has the same adjuster problem as yours.

Used to own a series 2 BP ...40 Erickson QC spindle..nice spindle arrangement if you have the tooling to fit.
Did some conversions to std NMTB # 40 holders to work in the Erickson....
Don't remember the exact changes, but it involved making the OD of the flange somewhat smaller and changing the flange thickness so that the
nose nut would draw up properly ...it can be done....Might work for your "Wally" head.....
Cheers Ross

Alfa there are two problems with using the Wally heads taper
1. The flange is not fixed to the shank which probably could be fixed by a couple of strategic welds screws etc.

2. The flange on the taper is not far enough away from the boring head for the bottom of the q.c. Nut to fit between them.

I thought of making a 40 to 40 adapter then I figure it’s probably better to cut the shank straight so I can use it on my cnc which has a 45 taper.

Back