What's new
What's new

*&%!!!/?! Monitors

Martin P

Titanium
I am P.O.ed.
One machine had a bad monitor and a friend fixed it. A couple of transistors were shot.
Now I install it and adjust it until it is quite nice. Upon looking at the screen with satisfaction, it suddenly fizzles out.
Its shot again and some transistors are really hot. No wonder the whole thing is discolored! The aluminum heat sink is BLACK.
These NDM boards are really crappy, as everyone agrees.
The monitor in the other machine was fine in Minneapolis, but did not survive the transport. It now has only horizontal lines.
That whole CRT setup is not to Deckel standard. And to think that Grundig was one of the biggest german TV manufacturers!

Martin,
That is called infant mortality. The new components stress the old and catastauphic failures occur. If a monitor is repaired and it passes the 48hr burn in it will usually be ok for some years. Sorry to here of more problems. I can help. I still have one of my CRT retrofits left but it has an amber color screen. My customers liked the amber better than the green. But the TFT is by far the easiest on the eyes.

Regards
Deckeldoctor

Don,
your kits seem by far the most priceworthy, but I do not even know what to do with the machines yet, and in so far am very hesitant to invest in 1 or let alone 2 TFT sets.
I mean, it cant be so frigging difficult to fix what is basicly an 8 inch TV!
Heck, even if the tube would be broke, that would only be 118$. I need a quick and dirty. Isn't there some spray that I can spray on the board that will mend it all. Didn't I see something like that on late night TV? "Fix-a-board" metallic paint?

Yep, that stuff is made by Ronco...the infomercial runs right after the spray on hair for balding guys. :D :D
Get the TFT fix, you can always use it on the other FP3NC ..you remember the one that came with you from Germany. Get one good display and move it about. Maybe put it on a tea trolly so it is portable, and you could stack all your spare controls on the bottom. :D Think the TFT change is worth it to reduce the temperature in the control and extend the life of the componnents.
Cheers Ross

Beyond infant mortality, there is another possiblity. Maybe the problem is systemic and there is something else wrong in the circuit. It stresses the other components and stuff just keeps popping because the source of the problem has never been fixed.

Isn't that monitor a standard composite input? If so, for a quick fix can't you find an 8" setup out there, or a smaller one and then adapt the mount. It might not be ideal, and it certainly won't be as nice as a TFT, but it might get you through until you decide what you want to do with the machine(s).

--Alan

One thing you have to watch for is that because a electrical component says its a replacement for the original that does not mean it is a drop in replacement. Some times transistors have to be installed backward or the three legs change around to match the circuit. Then some of the replacemnets have slight different values than the original. This can stress the circuit you put them in.

Regards
Deckeldoctor

Hi There,
Infant mortality though it exists, it is higly unlikely. Nowadays transistors are manuf. under rigorous control, otherwise your Pentium wouldn't work at all. A Pentium contains millions of transistors, and one defective renders it crap.
The problem must be searched in the transistors surroundings. Give me it's name and I probably could tell.

Andreas Wahlberg
UPPSALA

Hi There,
Infant mortality though it exists, it is higly unlikely. Nowadays transistors are manuf. under rigorous control, otherwise your Pentium wouldn't work at all. A Pentium contains millions of transistors, and one defective renders it crap.
The problem must be searched in the transistors surroundings. Give me it's name and I probably could tell.

Andreas Wahlberg
UPPSALA

Back