Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post

1. I disagree with you

2. The moderator on several occasions made it very clear this forum is not to discus the chinese hobbymachines On several occasions I have noticed that members made newcommers aware of that. I even seem to remember the moderator asked members to make newcommers aware of that rule

3. So for once I did that in a friendly way (for me at least) As you are a rather new member perhaps you did not notice this policy yet

4. Wheather my words are friendly or not is subject to interpretation English is not my native language and I never lived in a englisch speaking country Perhaps thats it

5. I am curious to our commen acquaintances though
    Perhaps send me a PM??

Peter
    Let me clear this up :

1. That is fine. I do not expect ( or even want ) people to agree with me. Polite disagreement is good.
    2. I understand.
    3. I knew about the policy but haven't seen the print. It's hard to find - I haven't found it yet. I do not think the manner you chose can be considered "friendly" by European standards. Though in the US might be downright sugary. It was at best not polite.
    4. Well, if YOU don't know then maybe YOU should refrain from chastising people when the only mistake was to be on the wrong forum. The forum has plenty rude a...holes and we should not add to that.
    5. Perhaps not.

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Member TRboatworks made a new MULTISTART Bronze nut FOR his Hendey T&G, ON his Hendey T&G ...with VERY good results. And he is an artist in boaty-things, doesn't actually claim to be an experenced machinist.

So it isn't as if one "cannot".

It's just faster and lower-risk to use a tap.

Among other advantages?

No need to mess with trying to MEASURE a tiny, threaded bore, each pass while doing the actual work and not yet DONE so as to not over-shoot and ruin a chunk of material!

"More taps, please. We're pragmatists!"

This is interesting. I use them for some small diameters but larger diameters seem a huge pain to turn and they compress and damage the bronze. I DO have a ( Russian ??) set of FIVE taps which was used to remake some ACME nut on a Russian lathe. Those MIGHT work fine. I am quite happy people report success with them as I contemplate making some more presses for a particular purpose and I can put them to good use. In general taps are not very accurate. The OP might like an accurate thread and then the best solution would be what I already mentioned eventually followed by an accurate tap which won't be under a couple of $100s. As I wrote before the OP's problem is common and the cure is to deburr things and re-aling them properly, parallel and CONCENTRIC. Or, sooner or later will bind again. Is the CONCENTRIC where one should pay real attention...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FYI
    Machinery Discussion Guidelines
    Note this is the is the Manufacturing Forum, not the home shop machinist forum. And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing manual "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools.

Note I said "home shop grade" Larger and/or higher quality Asian machines that might be used in manufacturing or job shop setting are ok to discuss.

The discouragement of HSM grade Asian machine discussion is partially because they have all ready been discussed to death here, and partically because they are not used (or at shouldn't be) in any manufacturing/job shop envirnoments.

For these machines, there are other sites such as the HSM Magazine forum, Chaski forum and various Yahoo Groups that are more appropriate.

========================

UPDATE-

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions

*Hacksaws- anywhere

*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only

Last edited by Milacron; 02-01-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post

Here's a close up of my X axis lead screw from when I first got the machine
    Dennis,

I see scars on that screw. Someone held it in a bench vise? I bet there are burrs that are eating your nut...

BR,
    Thanos

5. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thanvg View Post
    Dennis,

I see scars on that screw. Someone held it in a bench vise? I bet there are burrs that are eating your nut...

BR,
    Thanos
    Screws often look like this when removed. Just dirty oil / grease marks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thanvg View Post
    Dennis,

BR,
    Thanos
    Nothing as genteel as a vise!

Looks like rude-bugger-class hand-tool pecker-tracks to me!

"Table lock by vise-gee-rrrrip", maybe?

Stone it?

I don't own "vise grips". OR three-jaw chucks. Pride thing.

I'd be compelled to f**k it up with Channel-locks!

Can't get IN there with a Stillson.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Orbital77 View Post
    Screws often look like this when removed. Just dirty oil / grease marks.
    Actually there are real marks on it too. That's why I put it in the lathe last night and attempted to deburr it with my finest stones (translucent arkansas and a surgical black one), I think it worked the screw felt smoother afterwards. I might even have resorted to a coarser medium stone first.

Previous owners of this machines where some species of gorilla / neanderthal hybrid with a diet heavy on grease. I mean they ran the machine until the gib friction welded itself to the dovetail slot, and sheared the key under one gearbox gear.

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really don't understand where you're going with this. It's pretty clear by now what can be discussed or not. You are beating a dead horse. The problem is that one is INVITED to join the forum and not properly warned of limitations from the very beginning. The chap made a simple mistake.

I REALLY suggest you drop this matter and NEVER get back to it as I see on PMs you are starting to irritate others who you should NOT. Let Moderators do their job and prompt them to when they don't seem to do it.

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually there are real marks on it too. That's why I put it in the lathe last night and attempted to deburr it with my finest stones.

Previous owners of this machines where some species of gorilla / neanderthal hybrid with a diet heavy on grease.
    That's less good news....

Don't spin it too fast - it'll whip and then it's toast . Use a fixed steady and a follower if possible.
    Use a FILE to deburr it. Always avoid abrasive grains being left over and they are always left over.... Also, a test of the nut by hand is not really conclusive as you are looking to have the nut centered perfectly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually there are real marks on it too. That's why I put it in the lathe last night and attempted to deburr it with my finest stones (translucent arkansas and a surgical black one), I think it worked the screw felt smoother afterwards. I might even have resorted to a coarser medium stone first.

Previous owners of this machines where some species of gorilla / neanderthal hybrid with a diet heavy on grease. I mean they ran the machine until the gib friction welded itself to the dovetail slot, and sheared the key under one gearbox gear.
    If the same axis we have been discussing?

Then that surely COULD explain some panicked - or simply irritated-oblivious - damned fool trying to free it by gripping the screw with hand tools!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really don't understand where you're going with this. It's pretty clear by now what can be discussed or not. You are beating a dead horse. The problem is that one is INVITED to join the forum and not properly warned of limitations from the very beginning. The chap made a simple mistake.

I REALLY suggest you drop this matter and NEVER get back to it as I see on PMs you are starting to irritate others who you should NOT. Let Moderators do their job and prompt them to when they don't seem to do it.
    3. I knew about the policy but haven't seen the print. It's hard to find - I haven't found it yet.
    Tjesis
    I just pointed you in the right direction
    What did bite you this morning

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tjesis
    "oldfar-tism."

Get used to it!

The both of yah!

Same as beating yer head against a brick wall for several days, non-stop! BOTH of them!!

The heads. Not the walls.

It's like a really MASSIVE... orgasm ....when yah finally wise up and just QUIT that s**t!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"oldfar-tism."

Get used to it!

The both of yah!

Same as beating yer head against a brick wall for several days, non-stop! BOTH of them!!

The heads. Not the walls.

It's like a really MASSIVE... orgasm ....when yah finally wise up and just QUIT that s**t!

Hahaha
    Love your comments sometimes

Peter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hahaha
    Love your comments sometimes

Peter
    Seems to be an occupational hazard that the more experienced we be the harder we try to create extra work for ourselves - so long as it is more useless than ... what? "normal"?

You lot are trying to take my dam' job .... as mobile arsehole-at-large.

I'm not having it, I tell yah!

Deckel that ate its leadscrew nut has NOTHING on the grey squirrel what ate my Plum trees!

Lovely crop of plums has JUST appeared! Small, green, full of promise!

Ignorant little savage tried one, naturally found it green.
    Spat it on the ground, Did the next. Stripped the entire lot at a combat speed!

Hard-headed tree-rat went away convinced he was right and plum trees didn't know jack s**t about THEIR bizness.

Cut the damn tree down. And its wife. Or husband? You'd have to know tree fruits?
    Kinda slow on their feet, so they just AIR f**k! THAT can sure get up yer nose!

Ain't seen his ass in the green-grocers anywhere NEAR the bins where I buy plums for a good 25 year now, either!

Hard headed?

Rodent?

Meet MAN!

Ben Dover. Grab yer ankles. Kiss yer furry little #00-90 ass "Goodbye!"
    Sour plum breath and all!

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's less good news....

Don't spin it too fast - it'll whip and then it's toast . Use a fixed steady and a follower if possible.
    Use a FILE to deburr it. Always avoid abrasive grains being left over and they are always left over.... Also, a test of the nut by hand is not really conclusive as you are looking to have the nut centered perfectly.
    I used the lowest speeds 50rpm or so. I don't have files fine enough that I'd feel comfortable using in that manner except perhaps diamond files, I've always gotten the impression stones are good for this sort of work, they are used when working on spindle rebuilds and the like so it seems to me it would be doable here.

I flushed it clean and wiped it clean repeatedly afterwards. I trust my fingers to feel burrs well and the screw felt better afterwards, not perfect but I didn't detect sharp burrs anymore. I can't do much about centering the nut or screw, I don't really think that is a problem in this case so I wasn't planning on addressing it.

So I've replaced the missing bearing and deburred the lead screw and given everything a good cleaning and for now it seems fine.

If the same axis we have been discussing?

Then that surely COULD explain some panicked - or simply irritated-oblivious - damned fool trying to free it by gripping the screw with hand tools!

Yes the same axis in question

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tjesis
    ... some VAT invoices.....

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used the lowest speeds 50rpm or so. I don't have files fine enough that I'd feel comfortable using in that manner except perhaps diamond files, I've always gotten the impression stones are good for this sort of work, they are used when working on spindle rebuilds and the like so it seems to me it would be doable here.

I flushed it clean and wiped it clean repeatedly afterwards. I trust my fingers to feel burrs well and the screw felt better afterwards, not perfect but I didn't detect sharp burrs anymore. I can't do much about centering the nut or screw, I don't really think that is a problem in this case so I wasn't planning on addressing it.

So I've replaced the missing bearing and deburred the lead screw and given everything a good cleaning and for now it seems fine.

Yes the same axis in question
    You're doing just fine and by the way, any file short of a "bastard" will do fine. I am very weary of abrasive grains left where steel meets bronze but I am sure it's ( German ) father talking here....
    Good job then, I hope everything works nicely now and you use it happily and productively !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... some VAT invoices.....
    Just brought mine to bookkeepping
    Do they have VAT in Namibia?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just brought mine to bookkeepping
    Do they have VAT in Namibia?
    Yabut... @ 15% its enough less than the heavier-hitters of the EU they can still afford to malt beer in a third of theirs.

More seriously, COVID effects have caused MOST jurisdictions to reduce VAT rates for 2021:

2021 global VAT & GST rate changes

Last time I owned a company registered with it UK was only at 18%. Wasn't all THAT onerous as far as paperwork went. Problem was the lie under which it had been sold.

VAT was meant to be the great leveler and to REPLACE ALL OTHER forms of taxation!

Yet I never have seen even ONE other tax "retired" because VAT was adopted! They've kept going UP, had new onea added, or both. And VAT HAD been going up as well!

So we got the worst of BOTH situations. Not-even a wash!

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yabut... @ 15% its enough less than the heavier-hitters of the EU they can still afford to malt beer in a third of theirs.

More seriously, COVID effects have caused MOST jurisdictions to reduce VAT rates for 2021:

2021 global VAT & GST rate changes

Last time I owned a company registered with it UK was only at 18%. Wasn't all THAT onerous as far as paperwork went. Problem was the lie under which it had been sold.

VAT was meant to be the great leveler and to REPLACE ALL OTHER forms of taxation!

Yet I never have seen even ONE other tax "retired" because VAT was adopted! They've kept going UP, had new onea added, or both. And VAT HAD been going up as well!

So we got the worst of BOTH situations. Not-even a wash!

Yeah, but they did not increase any... Or so they say...