What's new
What's new

My Frankenstein mill

K Battenbough

Cast Iron
Hello Folks
First of all, there are no forums dedicated to Jafo Jarocin, or Ajax machines so i thought i would post here, as there is a cazeneuve in the background of the pics :-). I thought folks might be interested in seeing what i have done to my mill. I bought the jafo a couple of years ago now as it was in excellent condition with minimal backlash on the ways, and i thought this could be my allround mill with universal table and horizontal and vertical cutting planes. The only problem was the vertical geared head was noisey as hell! and by the time you had a collet chuck in the spindle there wasnt alot of room left for the workpiece. Originaly i was on the lookout for a bridgeport head that i could fit via an adapter plate onto the original overhead ram, however i came across the ajax ajt4 head complete with ram on ebay one day, and luckily was the only bidder! Amazingly the ram slid straight into the jafos dovetail which saved me alot of fabricating. I love this machine now, it has rapids in all directions, and now when vertical milling the ajax head is nice and quiet. Ive yet to fit a select lever to direct power to the horizontal spindle motor, i will get round to it one day, and finaly i now have a newall 3 axis dro ready to be fitted. Anyways thats enough from me for now, i hope you enjoy the pics.
Kevin
jafo1.jpg

jafo2.jpg

jafo3.jpg

jafo4.jpg

jafo5.jpg

jafo6.jpg

I have what appears to be the exact same machine. Jafo model FWF32S, serial no. 1651, made in Poland in 1990. I only bought it because it was pristine as new, price kinda low and I thought I might incorporate an extra Deckel vertical head I have, into the ram somehow...someday... (we need a "pipe dream" emoticon.. )

But I like your idea better....never occured to me the dovetail might be the same as some Bridgeport style machines.

Did you get a manual with yours ? Any idea where I can get a manual ? :)

These machines are the same as Mechanicy and Giewont.Same machines,same model numbers but built in different factories I believe.Giewont are quite good at faxing pages out of manuals.I have never asked for a manual.
I believe manufacture was originally started by ex Cincinnati engineers who went out there and there are certain model(s) which are reputed to use the same internals.

This one is the fwd32, made in 1978, im not sure of what the different letters mean in the model title?
Milacron, I did get a copy of a manual, on cd, there is a guy here in the uk who sells scanned copies. The name of his website escapes me now, but i do remember that it wasnt cheap.

Hi Charles
Obviously its just there for storage, I bought it because it was cheap:), Im bound to pickup a bridgeport or clone at some time, and will transfer it over then. Another reason why I bought it was that I was curious on how they worked :scratchchin:, heres a clip I posted awhile back of it going through the motions.
I have yet to find a use for it, but I can guarantee the day I get rid of it will be the day I need it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMP3xpAp0XU

Regards

KB

(we need a "pipe dream" emoticon.. )

I'm working on a "mad scientist" emoticon.

:smoking: This one's almost close. Reefer dream, maybe.

Nice machine -- I'm leaning toward something with Vert and Horiz spindles when I replace mine.

In fact this mill was sold as a version with a vertical head with its own motor
Also with a quill
Well in fact a real milling head not a flimsy bridgeporthead:D

peter

720550_1_d41d_d.jpeg

Peter, if you don't mind me saying so, you appear to have an enormous head. Do you have any other, preferably side views, of that milling machine. It looks a bit like mine.

Now that I'm aware that good $hit can be posted to obscure forums I'm not going to get any rest due to constant trawling.

Damien,you use a ball endmill in the cherrying head.Work is placed on a rotary table. The spindle on the cherrying head moves sideways,but travels in a circular arc,dipping down and back up as it travels sideways. You can adjust the size of the arc.With it,you can generate hemispherical cavitys. So,if you wanted to make a cannon ball mould,you'd be all set !! These old heads aren't in much demand,usually.

I've only just seen this post. Mark McGrath was a well liked and respected member of this forum who lost his battle with cancer around the time of his last post. Sadly missed.

Regards Tyrone.

Back