What's new
What's new

Mystery Schaublin collets

jpevner

Stainless
I have a bunch of schaublin collets. They look like ER but aren't. They go from about 4-5 mm to 23-24mm. The difference I see, is that they have no groove at the top for the retaining ring. I have a holder for them which I cut off and added a Deckel stud to. But I would like to sell them and standardize on ER and TG. But I don't like to list them before knowing what they are. Any ideas?

Will try to add pic after posting.

regards,

Jon P.

Attachments

• collets.jpg
    collets.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,346
Last edited:
They are the origins of the ER, before Rego-Fix "invented" them. That is, Schaublin came up with the double taper design but they had no self-releasing feature (the slot). Their designation is just "E" in the same series sizes as ER. That is, E40, E32, E25, E20, etc., etc. Schaublin no longer even makes them; they only make slotted ones interchangeable with ER-type, which they call "ESX".

Arthur;

Thank you for the info! I like the self-releasing idea. Not sure if anyone would want such an obscure thing.

regards,

Jon P.

There were some NOS Hauser toolholders on eBay not long ago. I'm not positive, but I don't believe they were even bid on. One was a boring head that took E25 collets. The other was a MT4-E40 toolholder. It might be worth a search. I can't say I've ever used the E collets, but it seems from reading that they really were a pain to release a tool from. I have received conflicting information if the nosepiece threading is the same between "E" and "ER" toolholders. If identical, you could just buy a new ER closing nut for your toolholder(s). The physical collet dimensions and taper angles are definitely the same between the two series.

My '62 13 mill came with a Schaublin E32 collet chuck and no collets.

Based on a comment made on this forum about E and ER collets for a Volstro attachment, I bought a Rego-Fix ER32 collet nut that screwed straight on and I use a combination of Rego-Fix ER and Schaublin ESX collets in the chuck. E and ER share the same thread.

Bob.

We still use on a daily basis a couple of Schaublin 53 milling machines of early 1970s vintage.

They were supplied with the full set of equipment that was available at the time including E40 collet chucks with complete sets of metric and imperial collets with spare collets in several sizes that are still in their wrapping.

We have started using ER40 collets as they can grip carbide tools better with their greater number of slots.

ER40 collet nuts fit the chuck perfectly but they are about 3mm bigger in diameter and the E40 spanner doesn't fit.

Buchanman.

Can you measure the included angle of the collet? I am looking for some older style ESX collets used on a Linley Jig Bore, and they would have a 22 degree included angle.

This is for an ER25 at maritool. I believe all of the angles are the same on the ER series. You can check at the maritool site for each to see yourself.

(linky pic)

Back