What's new
What's new

Need help! FP3NC Dialog4

Damir

Plastic
Every time I try to reset the axis (X,Y,Z)the machine will stop and a "V" will show next to the "R" on Screen for the Z-axis. Sometimes the "V" will appear during up or down movements of the Z-Axis and the machine will stop all movements.

It is becoming very frustrating so I hope someone on this forum can help me.

V means the Heidenhain glass feedback scale is likely dirty and needs to be cleaned. This requires removal of the scale from the machine, the scale is located behind fiberglass/foam cover on the operator side.

If you do a search it has been covered on this forum, suggest extreme care when cleaning as it's easy to scratch the scale and damage it.

Last edited:
You should et an immediate E-stop when the "V" appears, and the immediate remidy is to power of the machine and restart it....
As Steve says above, the scales need cleaning.....may want to investigate replacement of the dust seals as well. old seals will be hard and cracked ..They are available by the meter from the usual sources...
On some scales refitting new requires a bit of work...some posted about this here on the board as well....
Cheers Ross

It worked great,thanks for the help. I am just starting the machine it is been in storage for few years. In mode 11 I wrote a program but I am not able to run it.... I don't know what mode to use. I reference my axis, find my work coordinates, and I can't figure out in what mode to start the program. Can you help me out?

Mode 8 and Mode 9 are where you run the program.
Mode 8 will only run one block at a time, you press the Green "cycle start" button to execute a block and you have to do that for each block.

Mode 9 will run the program continuosly from start to finish after you press the green "cycle start" button. You can stop the program at any point by pressing the red "cycle stop" button, then start again where you left off by pressing the Green button.

Will try it tomorrow. Are there any specifics around the programming? .... I am coming from a Haas background. BTW thanks a lot
I am hoping to completely revive the Old boy just in time for the students to have something to play around with and do some simple programming.

One of the biggest differences between D4 and a Haas control in my eyes is how the tool library works. In D4 there are two choices, D or T, and you pick one and stick with it. I use T and have never tried D. D works a bit like the Haas tool table, in that all programs can access it, but, but as I understand it, you have to invoke D in every block that needs compensation. With T compensation, each program has a tool table in the header part which is not accessible to other programs. Once you call a tool using a T command, that tool's compensation sticks until you call a different one. Under the T approach, it behooves me to keep a list of tool lengths and radii off-line, so I don't have to set tool lengths every time I write a new program and create a tool table.

D4 also does not have anything like the G54, G55, ... work offset table in Haas, although there is a G54 command in D4 that works similarly.

Other differences between D4 and Haas have to do with which commands are modal or not. For example, canned drilling cycles in Haas are modal, but not in D4. There are others which I don't keep track of, because I rarely finger-CAM Haas but mostly finger-CAM D4.

The "D" comp values are a hold over from Dialog 2 and 3. They are local, acting only in the block in which they are called.
Dialog 4 will run both dialog 3 and dialog 4 programs.
You can combine "T" calls at the same time with the "D" calls in any block. Allows modification to the "T" value locally. Can cause confusion on the actual comp that is applied.

You may also use the "T* call at any time that the control is running under cutter comp...This allows dynamic modification of the tool diameter and length to give finish cuts
without writing any additional code.....

Think the biggest modal difference from the generic "Fanuc" programming is that Deckel controls do not have modal rapids....For them i think it was a safety thing...

Gotta be careful getting youngans to use that Dialog.....Might never get em to go back to somethin different....

Cheers Ross

Back