What's new
What's new

Need help for a Maho 700 year of manufacture 1978.

shri1967

Plastic
I am looking for help dismantling a maho 700 with a damaged cnc controller with quite a few parts missing. It has a hydraulically activated spindle x,y,z axis drive. Since it is a salvage purchase which came with no documentation I would appreciate any help. I am stuck removing the x axis y axis box fixed to the right side of the table. Planning to drive all the directions using independent drives.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ALBum-MbBpjLvQTOzPAULfjoPsFdqGCe

Last edited:
It has a hydraulically activated spindle x,y,z axis drive. Planning to drive all the directions using independent drives.

Not conversant in "Maho" so little help form here. Others may chime in with more details.
Think what you have there is a "Point to Point" machine...not a true contouring CNC. Manual machine with some drives fitted to the axis. Can only move one at a time when it was functional.
Think the "Box" on the side of the "X" axis has one drive motor, and a clutch system to select which axis gets shifted in order to move (X or Y)

Don't think the spindle is hydraulic. In your photos the remains of the factory shifting setup are still visible. Originally there were 3 pancake motors that were connected to the "white"
drums at the rear of the "Z" ram . The motors rotated the white drums to shift the gears inside the gearbox. Those white drums are actually cams that used to have micro switches riding on their OD.
The switches told the controller when a specific gear was selected by the cam position. A logic scheme rotated the shafts until the correct sequence of switch inputs told the controller that the selected gear had been
engaged...at which point the motors are switched off to hole position. Also there was control circuitry that "jogged" the spindle while shifting was underway to allow the gears to mesh.....

Gearbox can be shifted by hand by fashioning levers that would connect to the white drums...would also need some sort of detent setup for each gear shaft position, which you would need to figure out....
Likely the main drive motor has two speeds, high and low to combine with the gearing to give the full spindle speed range...

Making that gearbox shift is a bit of a project, even if you had the motors and cams....Might settle for two gear ranges and a variable frequency encoder feedback spindle drive (closed loop VFD)
Will limit the performance but at least it will run...Oh and there is also likely a brake on the motor as well....

First off i would look to see if the feed screws are conventional or if they are Ball Screws....
If conventional (acme) then i would aim to make this a conventional manual machine....Buy a good three axis DRO and some appropriate DC motors..Couple the motors via cog belts to the axis screws.
Make a controller having a variable DC power supply and a system to switch the power to any of the axis. (Joy stick?)

Rig up a manual system to shift the gearbox for driving the spindle.....Start/stop/reverse buttons along with coolant pump button and of course a system of E-stop string to kill everything in an emergency....
Need contactors for the main drive motor , forward and reverse , high and low speed, contactor for the lube pump, coolant pump and hydraulic pump (if used for tool changing) Transformer for the low voltage
control circuits....the list goes on.

Looks like a big project, i wish you luck...hope you will keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers Ross

Back