What's new
What's new

Need help putting FP1 gearbox plate back in place

jariou

Cast Iron
My machine is a Deckel FP1 with the two dials. I took out the gearbox plate with the top dial to see the condition of the gears and the lubrication and to clean up the painted over fasteners.

Now, I am confused as to how to put it back together correctly and easily. I tried a couple of times and was getting only 2 or 3 stop locations that would mesh correctly instead of the 5 that I expect from the printed dial.

Is there a recipe to put it back together easily where everything meshes cleanly? I am trying to bring the two arms closer together and accordingly, the two sliding gear groups pulled in toward the middle of the box. Then I rest the ledge on the inside of the plate against the bottom edge of the gearbox opening and try to align the two arms to the correct position against the gears.

It seems that every time, the holes in the plate do not quite line up with the threaded holes in the mill column. I wiggle things and somehow things may look like they work, but never fully.

I have pictures I can add to clarify but I suspect that those who know what I need to do probably don't need pictures. But please feel free to ask me to add them if it can help, I will gladly comply.

Jacques

Don't recall any trick to setting the cover back in place on the gearbox (FP2) think a bit more complex there as there are three arms and shift forks to contend with....
You just have to move the gears till the forks enter their proper slots or slide over the correct gear...(there are two styles of forks on the FP2...blades (2) and fork (1)

Later single dial shift dials are pretty straight froward...unlike the earlier dial and crank version that has the crank geared to the cam ring that moves the arms...on those taking apart the dial and gear can
create a real headache in getting everything to time correctly on reassembly...
Don't remember any such drama with the later setup...there everything is with levers and cams....no timing required.....
The single dial setup does have an adjustment to get the position of the index on the outer dial correct...but i would caution that unless you have taken this apart, leave it alone.

Might verify that the blades or forks are symmetrical relative to their axle...if they are offset perhaps you have some or all reversed....
Cheers Ross

Later single dial shift dials are pretty straight froward...unlike the earlier dial and crank version that has the crank geared to the cam ring that moves the arms...on those taking apart the dial and gear can
create a real headache in getting everything to time correctly on reassembly...

Yeah I think it was the problem. I looked more carefully, and I got to the point where It was easy to just put the plate in and the fingers went right where they needed to go. But because the distance between the various stop positions are different, sometimes, I would get only 3 working positions. So I tried taking it out, turning the dial all the way to the left then go an extra 3 clicks on the meshing gear and segment and after a few repeated applications, I got a successful meshing of all the positions.

This corresponds to a speed "reading position" with the index basically North East as opposed to due North. I could have kept going to see if I could get a full mesh with the index straight North,(and I may do that later one) but I stopped while I was ahead. Once you know where to look, it's not any harder to look a bit to the right of center.

After that "small victory", I tried putting the feed gear plate back on. I figured I might have to do something similar, try a few times. I was careful and put it back together. But it made an unpleasant noise when I tested it. So I stopped. I will look again tonight or when the snowy North Carolina weather goes away and life is back to normal!

Any hint on what to be careful about with the feed gearbox is welcome.

Jacques

This corresponds to a speed "reading position" with the index basically North East as opposed to due North. I could have kept going to see if I could get a full mesh with the index straight North,(and I may do that later one) but I stopped while I was ahead. Once you know where to look, it's not any harder to look a bit to the right of center.

Jacques

This does not sound correct....Shift forks have a set movement....designed to mesh the gear selected close to 100%.....Dial should selection should be at 12:00
Improperly indexed and you run the risk of not being fully engaged in every gear selection, or worse, not disengaged on one gear when another is selected....
They are all interconnected.
If in doubt. engage a gear ratio , then carefully remove the cover (pull straight off) and note the engagement of the gear selected....Anything less than 90% full contact would concern me...
The wear patterns on each gear pair will tell you where it was running before disassembly....Should be able to return it to that condition.
Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross,

I will do that. I did wonder on what width was the gears meshing. It's not really easy to see what you're doing in there.

I

This corresponds to a speed "reading position" with the index basically North East as opposed to due North.
Jacques

One of my machines had that problem when I bought it. I don't think you have all speeds available and anyway it is definitely not correct. I was able to take mine apart and get it together correctly, I don't recall any trick. You just have to fiddle around with it. Have patience you will be able to do it.

Back