What's new
What's new

New to the forum (deckel bargains!)

Tfrench

Aluminum
Hi everyone, new to the PM forums but a long time lurker. I've always had an interest in machining, we've got a small shop at work (family business) that I've been trying to build up over the last couple of years. I have a sideline buying and selling machinery so sometimes get some bargains pop up. Last week a friend rang me and told me about a local auction happening the next day, so we went for a look. Couldn't believe how much good stuff there was so I cancelled all my plans and headed back the next day. When I won the high speed head for the FP2 for £5 I had a good feeling about how the day was going to go. Ended up buying the FP1 & FP2 and all the accesories I could find for them, for under £2000.
Deckel FP2
FP1 inbound
FP1 &2
FP2 high speed head and extra table
Wohlhaupter boring head
Centering microscope
The centering microscope was thrown in for free on a toolpost grinder I also bought, wasn't until I got on google that I found out what it was! I have powered the FP1 up and it all works fine. Next job is to get the old KRV mill moved out and get these two into place. I'm planning to do a proper paintjob on the 2, just so it looks a bit more in keeping with the other one. Standby for lots of questions, I think!

Do not paint the FP1 please
It is good as it is

Peter

Don't worry - I'm planning to do the FP2 to match the FP1. The FP1 really is immaculate. Some idiot managed to crack one of the DRO readouts but it still works, which was a relief. The FP2 has an interesting mix of grey, green and orange paint, just looks nasty!

The idiot auctioneers left it all out in the rain for 2 days! Took us a full day to dry it all out.

That happens at Govt auctions around here, million dollar machine tools left in the rain for 2-3months while inside the warm dry warehouse sit piles of beat up office furniture and used mattresses!

Charles

Does the FP1 comes with the standard angle head ?
I do not see it on the pictures

Peter

Hi Peter, yes, the FP1 does have a standard head with it. I need to get some better pictures of what I've actually got. We're going to see the daughter of the guy who's estate it was on saturday so hopefully I'll find some more tooling for them there. The only horizontal arbor I have is a 32mm one, kind of hard to find cutters for that in the UK!

No, I don't think any dealers were there. It was mainly a farm auction so there were lots of farmers hanging around to see what the expensive tractors made, no one seemed really interested in the engineering stuff. I'm kicking myself for not buying more, I could have made some good money on it. Hindsight is 20:20 though...

All this activity on FP1 risers. Do I not see an FP1 riser on your machine? If so that is the least expensive way to get one short of stealing it...
Congratulations on your purchase.

All this activity on FP1 risers. Do I not see an FP1 riser on your machine? If so that is the least expensive way to get one short of stealing it...
Congratulations on your purchase.

That is most definately an FP1 Riser with the Fine Boring Head, going price on the riser alone is 3000 Euro.

Wow, I can't believe how well we made out on this! One day I may even be good enough to do them justice.

Some idiot managed to crack one of the DRO readouts but it still works, which was a relief.

The busted Heidenhain readout lens is an easy fix, pull a few screws peel off the old lens held in by silicone sealant and glue in a fresh one. I used 2mm smoked grey acrylic on mine that was cracked and faded.

Beautiful mills BTW, congrats on the find!

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll get some acrylic ordered.

I'm eyeing up a small jib crane to install near where the mills are going to go eventually. It's got a 250kg hoist so should be plenty man enough for what I'll be doing. It'll make swapping heads and tables easy anyway. If I position it right it will be able to swing stuff onto the radial arm drill table too.

Last question for now - any ideas on this part? Looks deckel flavour but I can't work out what it is from googling!
Mystery part
Mystery part

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back