New to the forum (deckel bargains!) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

*** That's the best buy ever ***

Congrats - that's incredible! £2000 for the lot. That's a quarter of what the going price for a nice FP2 with the two tables alone.

I'm not sure, if you should buy a lottery ticket right away - I've never seen luck that great!
    Nah, I think you've used up all luck for some time....

A very late 3-way Active FP1. It has feed in all 3 axes.
    And the holy grail - the FP1 riser - with a fine boring head to boot...
    (I don't care much for the fine boring head on the FP1, but it'll be fine on the FP2)

Or you could sell the riser and have the rest for free, I think.

Cheers
    Erik

PS: Peter, the (rusty) angle piece for the High Speed Head is in picture 3 - picture 4 is a complete tilting, swivelling FP2 table (you know that, of course).
    I was a bit confused by your post.

Awake in the morning: Sorry Peter - I misunderstood your post, because I coudn't see those pictures...
    Last edited by Erik; 03-21-2019 at 02:16 AM.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Erik. Peter was right - the high speed head is on picture 4 on the same cart as the extra table. I actually got a lot more stuff for my money, but I didn't like to brag too much!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the help and advice guys - I really appreciate it. My old man reckons we need never go to another auction (this was the first I'd ever been to) as we'll never get this lucky again. Some of the other stuff I picked up at the auction was a really nice toolpost grinder, an eccentric adjustable lathe chuck (doubt I'll ever use, but no one else bid!) a nice camelback straightedge and an elliott pillar drill. I've done a quick restoration on it, I'm giving it to my dad for his shop for all the help he gives me!
    Elliott drill
    Elliott drill
    Just waiting on a quill return spring and some cable to rewire it.

4. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    I actually got a lot more stuff for my money, but I didn't like to brag too much!

Heck man go crazy...opportunities to gloat over a score like this only come along maybe once in a lifetime...(unless your "Milacron)
    Make full use of it ....You earned it.

Cheers Ross

6. Likes JHOLLAND1, jz79, ballen, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking

We do love pictures...please spam us..

Cheers
    Erik

8. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    Hi Peter, yes, the FP1 does have a standard head with it. I need to get some better pictures of what I've actually got. We're going to see the daughter of the guy who's estate it was on saturday so hopefully I'll find some more tooling for them there. The only horizontal arbor I have is a 32mm one, kind of hard to find cutters for that in the UK!
    Hi Deckeleers,

We all love to read about a great score and bemoan the fact that it never happens to us but there is a sad story to be told about every good score because in the real world that we live in somebody`s loss becomes somebody`s gain!

Livelihoods go down the drain, think about all those once successful businessmen that didn`t see the changes coming, just because people wanted to buy cheap goods and companies started to manufacture in poverty stricken countries to reduce the prices of their products, taking away work from their own country. Then those unfortunate businessmen, on a visit to their friendly bank manager to ask for some extra financial support, are told that the bank is calling in the loan and have to hand over the keys to their company cars. It`s not long before there is a banging on the door and hatchet faced bailiffs doing their job, take away all the household goods before the house is re possessed!

Then it`s the turn of the machinery in the factory to be sold off as cheap as chips (french fries) a lot of it for export to those countries that caused the downfall.

On a more personal level for those fun loving Deckel afficionados that post on this forum. You didn`t dare to tell your loving wives and family how much those delectable machines cost, giving them the same old stories that we all do, such as winning them in a poker game or some other blatant lie. Unfortunately this can lead to an unforseen problem in the future!

One day you are going to fall off your perch, snuff it, become brown bread, dead! Your grief stricken loving wife and family will suddenly have all the hateful business of selling off your machinery and unrequired personal effects.

This is also the naked truth for all hobby orientated persons especially vintage and prestige car enthusiasts that have a pile of incredibly, in today`s over inflated values, valuable spare parts that others would give their right arm for. Unfortunately, in the emotionally charged aftermath of your demise, these assets will be snapped up by grasping dealers at a fraction of their worth but even worse, your family will pay the scrap man to take all that old rubbish away!

The only way to prevent this happening, is to inform the wife and family that all your hobby assets have suddenly increased in value, provide them with a detailed list and values and the name and address of someone that you trust that can help with the disposal of your treasure at the right price so that your successors will have the benefit, not those vultures hovering around.

This will prevent your machinery being sold off at a farmers auction and your family receiving peanuts for them.

Again, there can be consequences of coming clean, your wife upon seeing the value of your treasure trove, will insist that you sell them and go on that world cruise that she`s always dreamed about or any other activity that the female mind can think up.

Life can be a turd!

Alan
    Last edited by bentley1930; 03-21-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alan, what is wrong with you?

Couldn't you just make your own thread with your depressing content? Let the man (and us) enjoy the moment.

But just to answer your post: No, I don't lie to my wife. Not even about what amount of money I use on my hobbies.

She can use whatever amount she chooses on her own hobbies also. Within the possibilities of my income.

And I do pride myself of being as honest as is practically possible.

Cheers
    Erik

11. Likes AlfaGTA, Piers037, Charles P liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why is at soon as one turd gets flushed another pops up... not quite as quality as coming in a shitting on Ross' top quality threads.

Class act Alan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bentley1930 View Post

On a more personal level for those fun loving Deckel afficionados that post on this forum. You didn`t dare to tell your loving wives and family how much those delectable machines cost, giving them the same old stories that we all do, such as winning them in a poker game or some other blatant lie. Unfortunately this can lead to an unforseen problem in the future!

One day you are going to fall off your perch, snuff it, become brown bread, dead! Your grief stricken loving wife and family will suddenly have all the hateful business of selling off your machinery and unrequired personal effects.

Again, there can be consequences of coming clean, your wife upon seeing the value of your treasure trove, will insist that you sell them and go on that world cruise that she`s always dreamed about or any other activity that the female mind can think up.

Alan
    Guess it all comes down to how you handle all this....
    Personally i have a complete inventory with serial numbers and part description of all major items in my home shop....including relative market value for each...
    There is also contact information for several members of this board to contact who would (by arrangement) assist my survivors in dispensing my assets.....The inventory is
    in the custody of my wife and son.....

As to worrying about my wife being jealous of my hobby...she understands it and supports it....She gets to manage the budget and helps with my hobby acquisitions....Its a team thing!

Perhaps your concern over what your wife would do if she knew the value of your hobby interests reflects on your initial choice.....

Cheers Ross

14. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now we get to know the true Alan

Peter

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Alan, what is wrong with you?

Couldn't you just make your own thread with your depressing content? Let the man (and us) enjoy the moment.

But just to answer your post: No, I don't lie to my wife. Not even about what amount of money I use on my hobbies.

She can use whatever amount she chooses on her own hobbies also. Within the possibilities of my income.

And I do pride myself of being as honest as is practically possible.

Cheers
    Erik
    Hi Deckeleers,

Erik, I`m glad that you are being responsible! Others aren`t so particular!

Life can be depressing when you get to my age and have seen all the bad things that can happen to people. All the scenarios that i`ve verbalized are real and have happened to friends and acquaintances or are public knowledge. people are only concerned with the bottom line, for years i`ve been advocating that people should buy products made in their own country even if they have to pay more! Unfortunately nobody has listened and look where our economies are now. The Germans and Japanese buy products from their own country.

I do have a sense of humour and perhaps irony but all that crowing over a steal made me try to show the other side of the coin.

I hope that i`ve not spoiled your day.

Alan

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It certainly wasn't my intention to crow over stealing these tools. It was actually a really touching moment when we were talking to the daughter - we were the only ones who spoke to her about what an incredible engineer her father was and she was really happy the mills would be going to someone who would actually use them, not sell them on for profit. It's a promise I was happy to make to her.
    For the guys who were interested in the other stuff, here's a few pictures:
    Camelback straight edge. Luckily the flash rust wiped off and it looks pretty good. Made by Windley Brothers
    Camelback straight edge

Unsure what the aluminium rings are in this picture? A better look at the high speed head.
    High speed head

Horvath eccentric chuck. Just look at it, its beautiful!
    Eccentric chuck

Toolpost grinder. Can't remember the make, but its German. The old chap liked his German kit!
    Toolpost grinder

View of the control side of the FP2. The readout is a mitutoyo
    FP2 controls

Data plate on the fp1 control box. Made in 1984?
    FP1 cabinet plate

The standard vertical spindle and the horizontal overarm:
    fp1 vertical head and horizontal arm

And just so things aren't all perfect, this looks like a big gob of grease coming out around the table screw - think I'm right in thinking that should be an oil nipple?
    Looks like grease to me?

18. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She looks to definitely be a "greaser".....
    Disassemble and clean, first out the box....
    Is that a snap of the FP2?
    Thought that by the time the "Aktive" machines arrived (FP1) that they all had auto lubricators.
    Cheers Ross

20. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ross, yeah the grease is on the fp1. I guess 1984 makes it an early one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a toolpost grinder that looks a lot like yours.

Mine is a Weiler unit - not boxed. And it's the only one I've ever seen - until maybe now. Another machine accessory rare as hen's teeth.

If you shold happen to have a Thread Dial Indicator (or a following steady) for a Weiler Primus, please write me.

Keep the pictures coming (thumbs up.gif)

Too bad you'll have to take the FP1 apron apart. But two good things about it:

1: You've come to the right place to ask for help. One can hope it was done by someone else just before the auction.

2: It'll be good practice for the somewhat heavier job of dismantling the FP2 apron...;-) Bruce Allen has done it and documented it well.

(I still haven't gotten around to fix mine (it's of same vintage 1966-1967) - but I've hardly used it until now)

Cheers
    Erik

23. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being a Weiler unit makes sense - there was one in the auction (I think it was a condor but I'm not totally sure). Pretty sure thats what the eccentric chuck fits as well. Someone had stolen the multifix toolpost from it though. Do you have a link to the apron rebuild thread?

I forgot to mention in the excitement that this isn't my first deckel ownership - a few weeks ago I picked up a GK21 pantograph off ebay. It was listed badly and no-one else bid. I've always wanted to have a play with one so I took it home instead of work so I could clean it up. Luckily it has a 1/4" collet so I can use router cutters in it as well. I'll be running it on a small VFD as I don't have 3 phase at home. This is how it looked when I got it in the garage:
    GK21

Whenever I get a spare few minutes I clean another bit up, so far I've done the tables and all the handwheels.
    GK21 cleanup begun
    GK21 tables

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the M16-S20 pull studs that Singer sell - is there any practical difference to pick the one with the external spanner flats over the one with the internal hex drive? Or vice versa?
    I've been on holiday and working at the other end of the country so its been a while since I updated progress. I sold the old KRV mill and in a mammoth game of cast iron mah-jong we moved it out and got the deckels in place.
    In place at last
    Next job is to get the FP1 ready to work so we have a mill again, then I can take a look at the FP2 to see what shape its in.

26. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would really like to see some close ups from the Oerlikon radial....PLEEEEASE...
    best regards
    Kyriakos

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anything in particular? It's a fantastic machine, came with all the drawers chock full of tooling. We use it the most out of all the machines I've bought!

29. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Oerlikon looks interesting, and a guy on this forum just south of ke wants one, but I don't understand. Why not a Richmond SR2 as a make made near the OP? Or the American made rough equivalent, the Fosdick Semsitive radial drill (one of the later in my shop). I have no experience with Oerlikon's but they don't look as rigid, or as easy to work on as a Richmond. Thoughts?

L7