New to the forum (deckel bargains!) - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    I was actually looking for a small Richmond or similar but then this one popped up for sale on ebay very local and very cheap. I did some research and most things were positive so I took a chance on it (plus as I said the drawers were full of drills reamers and clamps). Mainly I just loved the look and feel of it! It's actually pretty rigid with all the clamps locked off. I have been thinking of getting a quick change collet system for it as well so I don't have to mess around knocking the taper out of it every time - someone has lost the auto release bit at some point over the years. I do find I have to really think about what I'm doing when using the power feed, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some of the guys really can't grasp the gearbox controls either. Again, not necessarily a bad thing as means they dont mess with it!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1616
    Likes (Received)
    910

    Default

    There'a Standard Modern for sale in western Massachusetts. No connection with the seller, but I noticed it in connection with this thread.
    Radial Arm Drill Press - tools - by owner - sale

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    359
    Likes (Received)
    329

    Default

    Thanks, Ballen for posting the Standard Modern radial drill ad! I've got a lot of time on SM lathes that previously had their beds cast just a few miles from me- in a foundry that mostly made piano frames! Had no idea SM also made radial drills. I like its design.

    Lucky7

  4. Likes ballen liked this post
  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    43

    Default

    H Kyriakos,
    Quote Originally Posted by dominus164 View Post
    I would really like to see some close ups from the Oerlikon radial.
    It seems to be an Oerlikon UB2. It was possible to be moved to the workpiece (if workpieces couldn't be moved to a machine tool).

    More informations about the Oerlikon UB2:

    Oerlikon UB2 drilling machine - Anglo-Swiss Tools
    Oerlikon UB2

    Cheers,
    Karl

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Another stroke of luck - since the auction we have kept in touch with the daughter of the guy whose equipment it was, this weekend we managed to organise going to see what was left. I was hoping for a couple of deckel fitment tools at best. Came home with a van full (don't worry Alan, I paid her a fair price!)
    Tooling
    (outside of shot is 2 big tubs of punch and die tools that were too good to let them scrap!)
    I've spent a long time getting it all sorted and working out what fits with what. We've got a LOT of deckel collets, morse taper attachments, facemill holders and a couple of boring heads. Got it all sorted into the mill cabinet:
    Collets
    There was also these horizontal arbors and one of the beefiest boring bars I've ever seen (and the M16 pull studs I nearly bought last week from singer but hadn't gotten around to yet):
    Horizontal arbors

    Now for the fun bit: parts ID
    I think this is a kennametal quick change system of some sort, any idea what it is and if its worth keeping?
    Mystery tool

    Finally, there is this lot. I think the large L shaped bracket is Deckel - its very well made. No idea what it is though. Likewise the black flat bracket above it. Not sure on the large black handles but again, they look important for something. The green bits might not be deckel but they were all in a box together. I've seen the castellated driver things elsewhere but I'm not sure what they are for?
    Mystery parts

    Thanks in advance!

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1616
    Likes (Received)
    910

    Default

    Congratulations on your new acquisitions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    Finally, there is this lot. I think the large L shaped bracket is Deckel - its very well made. No idea what it is though.
    That's a holder for gage blocks which you can use to generate precise offsets in X. It attaches to the FP2 support in the corner between the support and the vertical Z ways by the operator. Here's a photo from a 1960s Deckel brochure. It also shows similar holders for both Y (built onto the side of the machine) and Z.



    Attached to your X-axis gage block holder is also the indicator for the Z-axis scale. Often this is removed because a DRO has been added to Z and this indicator tends to block access to the Z-axis locking lever.

    In the corner of the table is a small hole for mounting the indicator holder. The hole is protected by a spring loaded cover. Here is the relevant bit from an FP2 manual:



    The black rectangular part just to the right of it is a clamp for the long-reach head, which goes in the back behind the headstock and prevents the head from pulling out/falling off frontwards.

    The two long black cylindrical bars are for lifting off heavy heads, which have a lifting ring that mates to this. You need two people, one for each end of the bar. The long reach head and precision boring head have these rings.

    I don't recognize the other parts, but someone else here will!

  8. Likes Tfrench, jz79 liked this post
  9. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Imlay City, Michigan
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    Another stroke of luck - since the auction we have kept in touch with the daughter of the guy whose equipment it was, this weekend we managed to organise going to see what was left. I was hoping for a couple of deckel fitment tools at best. Came home with a van full (don't worry Alan, I paid her a fair price!)
    Tooling
    (outside of shot is 2 big tubs of punch and die tools that were too good to let them scrap!)
    I've spent a long time getting it all sorted and working out what fits with what. We've got a LOT of deckel collets, morse taper attachments, facemill holders and a couple of boring heads. Got it all sorted into the mill cabinet:
    Collets
    There was also these horizontal arbors and one of the beefiest boring bars I've ever seen (and the M16 pull studs I nearly bought last week from singer but hadn't gotten around to yet):
    Horizontal arbors

    Now for the fun bit: parts ID
    I think this is a kennametal quick change system of some sort, any idea what it is and if its worth keeping?
    Mystery tool

    Finally, there is this lot. I think the large L shaped bracket is Deckel - its very well made. No idea what it is though. Likewise the black flat bracket above it. Not sure on the large black handles but again, they look important for something. The green bits might not be deckel but they were all in a box together. I've seen the castellated driver things elsewhere but I'm not sure what they are for?
    Mystery parts

    Thanks in advance!
    The Kennemetal system looks like HSK shank, here's a link with some dimensions.

    https://toolholderexchange.com/hsk-tool-holders/

    Kevin

  10. Likes Tfrench liked this post
  11. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Benicia California USA
    Posts
    7,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1778
    Likes (Received)
    2351

    Default

    The green piece with the two holes appears to be the junction (electrical) for the cables from the machine to the electrical cabinet...not positive as i can't see all of it.
    The 8 tooth "drivers" look to be couplings that allow using a drill motor to rapid move the "Z" axis on a Bridgeport style knee mill.....

    The part having the "Vee" block top appears to be a work support for a dividing head setup. Not Deckel.

    Very nice score....
    Cheers Ross

  12. Likes ballen, Tfrench liked this post
  13. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Thanks again guys. Really appreciate the help! I thought the green bit with the holes could be a stop/start switch housing? I'll try to get some better pictures.
    I picked up a walter dividing head today as well which should be a good match for the deckels. One of my long term ambitions is to cut basic gears - I need to make a new pick off gear for my geared head drill which has stripped a couple of teeth. Got to have something to aim at...

  14. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Hi guys. Problems in deckel land... I started the fp1 for the first time properly today. Milled a small cast part, all good. Turned the motors off but didn't turn the machine off so the dro was still on. 5 minutes later it was cycling through numbers on each readout, turned it off and on again and I'm just getting flashing red lights and can hear clicking behind the readout. Am I screwed?

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  15. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1616
    Likes (Received)
    910

    Default

    I have fixed several broken Heidenhain DROs. All of them had simple problems with the power supply (either a dead three-pin voltage regulator or a dead electrolytic capacitor). So if the problem is the DRO (and not the control box underneath) that is probably what's wrong. Should not be hard to fix, if you have some basic electronics knowledge and skills.

  16. Likes Tfrench liked this post
  17. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Brilliant news! The controls beneath the DRO are working - I tried them and it all seems ok. I was in full on panic mode!

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Still not fixed the dro issue but it is percolating up the list. Today I thought I'd have a look at the fp2 (been waiting on getting power supply to it) opened the control cabinet and the motor had been disconnected. I'd almost fired it up when I realised there were a load more open ended wires in there! I've attached a picture, I assume there should be a similar unit to the left hand side - is it an overload? The left hand one has a reset button. Is there a modern equivalent I should be looking for?
    Also while I am on the subject, is there a list of sensible stuff I should check before I turn it on? Obviously oil levels but I'm sure there are plenty of other things to think about.
    Thanks for the help


    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1616
    Likes (Received)
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    I'd almost fired it up when I realised there were a load more open ended wires in there! I've attached a picture, I assume there should be a similar unit to the left hand side - is it an overload? The left hand one has a reset button. Is there a modern equivalent I should be looking for?
    It looks as if the second motor protector has been removed. One is for the regular drive/feed motor of the FP2, and the second one is for the high-speed head. Probably it was the high-speed head one that was removed, which means you can at least operate the machine "as it is".

    My FP2 cabinet is similar, so I'll take a look inside it and see where those wires go to. Only complication is that my machine's electrical cabinet has had several parts replaced with more modern ones. So it might be hard to infer what the original state was.

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    The left hand side of the panel feeds the sockets for the high speed head and accessories. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this style of cabinet? Struggling to work out what is going on in there!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Country
    GREECE
    Posts
    493
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    132
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default

    I'll check my paperwork, but can't get back to you before tonight...

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Thanks, I appreciate it. It's a long term project, I want to get it right before I use it.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1616
    Likes (Received)
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this style of cabinet? Struggling to work out what is going on in there!
    Have a look in your email. Sorry, I forgot to check my own cabinet but will do it later today.

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    GERMANY
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1616
    Likes (Received)
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrench View Post
    I thought I'd have a look at the fp2 (been waiting on getting power supply to it) opened the control cabinet and the motor had been disconnected. I'd almost fired it up when I realised there were a load more open ended wires in there!
    Here's the corresponding part of my switching cabinet. The wires which correspond to the ones that are cut in your cabinet are connected to a motor overload protector (not original) directly above. That protector is set to 5A, and protects the main drive motor. The other motor protector (on the left side, barely visible) is set to 1.6A and protects the high-speed head (when in use).



    This also agrees with the schematic that I pointed you to. The motor protector on the left (labeled M1 in the cabinet and on the schematic) is for the "Schnelllaufer" (high speed head). The motor protector on the right (missing in your cabinet, labeled M2 on the schematic) is for the "Fräsmotor" (mill motor).

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Thankyou Bruce! Part ordered, hopefully get powered up next week.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •