What's new
What's new

New To Me, 1984 Deckel FP3 Repair?

bsg

Titanium
I just picked this machine up, it's a 1984 Deckel FP3 with Aktive control and universal table with readout!

I'm super excited that I was able to get this machine, cannot wait to use it!

The machine looks to be in excellent shape, with a few issues that need to be addressed.....

I would like to disassemble the machine to inspect and clean the ways, the machine has sat for a long time, can the machine be taken apart in large chunks to gain access to the ways?

I also need to replace the seals on the scales and the way covers, they seam to be falling apart from age?

Looks like I will be putting in an order into Singer.....

I will post pictures as soon as I can of the machine!

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

Good score!
You won't be disappointed. One of the best manual machines Deckel built IMO....
Looking forward to the photos.....

As to disassembly.....not sure i would do that.
That machine has an electric auto lube pump.....Leave the slides sitting where they were , pull back and remove the bellows (if present),wipe the slide surfaces that you can get to then cycle the pump- LOTS.....
Wipe off any dripping way lube..(it will carry away any dirt)...Move the slide a small amount and repeat...go back the opposite direction a bit past the start point....
Repeat widening the movement.....Cycle lots of oil.....

To replace the upper "Z" axis wiper, drop the table (vertical slide) about 2/3 down the total movement available. Remove the upper protector plate and the wiper. Move the slide down a bit more and wipe the area now exposed clean.....Fit the wiper. Start cutting metal...

Cheers Ross

Good score!
You won't be disappointed. One of the best manual machines Deckel built IMO....
Looking forward to the photos.....

As to disassembly.....not sure i would do that.
That machine has an electric auto lube pump.....Leave the slides sitting where they were , pull back and remove the bellows (if present),wipe the slide surfaces that you can get to then cycle the pump- LOTS.....
Wipe off any dripping way lube..(it will carry away any dirt)...Move the slide a small amount and repeat...go back the opposite direction a bit past the start point....
Repeat widening the movement.....Cycle lots of oil.....

To replace the upper "Z" axis wiper, drop the table (vertical slide) about 2/3 down the total movement available. Remove the upper protector plate and the wiper. Move the slide down a bit more and wipe the area now exposed clean.....Fit the wiper. Start cutting metal...

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross!

I will leave everything in place and clean as you suggested.....my machine does not have the auto lube pump, just manual, was that an update?

I have a FP3NC parts machine I could steal the lube pump from if it is the same and possibly adapt it?

Do you know if the x axis scale can be removed without taking the saddle off?

Kevin

Nice looking machine...
The manual pump will be fine....The auto is just a later (i guess) addition, but the manual will work fine and do the same job.

The "X" scale should be removable without taking the "X" slide apart......
Should be a sheet metal plate on the operators end of the "X" slide held in place with two screws...remove that plate.
There should be an anchor on the operators end of the scale....that is the large hex nut that you can see on the face of the end cover on the operators end of the "X" slide...it is on the face at 90*
from that access plate....
Do not try to remove that nut from the outside....there is a small mounting screw through the scale on the inside....
There is a bracket that carries the scale read head mounted to the vertical casting and is accessed from the operators side up next to the "Z" ways....

Of course you need to remove the bellows prior to removing the scale...There will be some shifting of the "X" axis to get the scale out. Don't believe that you can pass the read head through the access port
but i might be incorrect, at any rate by sliding the scale through the port you an get it clear of the vertical casting and then see-saw it clear and out......

After the scale is out think you can then scale the cable out...not sure how your cable might be routed.....My FP3 did not come with a scale on the "X" so i added one,with my own design read head bracket so the details of the factory install i can't say about.

Think you will figure it out pretty easily....
Cheers Ross

PS:
If it were me i would loose that fixture plate.....i don't want to give up any vertical capacity, and that universal table already gives some height away over the plain angle table...sometimes you need it all, your work may be different and the vertical height not be an issue........

Nice looking machine...
The manual pump will be fine....The auto is just a later (i guess) addition, but the manual will work fine and do the same job.

The "X" scale should be removable without taking the "X" slide apart......
Should be a sheet metal plate on the operators end of the "X" slide held in place with two screws...remove that plate.
There should be an anchor on the operators end of the scale....that is the large hex nut that you can see on the face of the end cover on the operators end of the "X" slide...it is on the face at 90*
from that access plate....
Do not try to remove that nut from the outside....there is a small mounting screw through the scale on the inside....
There is a bracket that carries the scale read head mounted to the vertical casting and is accessed from the operators side up next to the "Z" ways....

Of course you need to remove the bellows prior to removing the scale...There will be some shifting of the "X" axis to get the scale out. Don't believe that you can pass the read head through the access port
but i might be incorrect, at any rate by sliding the scale through the port you an get it clear of the vertical casting and then see-saw it clear and out......

After the scale is out think you can then scale the cable out...not sure how your cable might be routed.....My FP3 did not come with a scale on the "X" so i added one,with my own design read head bracket so the details of the factory install i can't say about.

Think you will figure it out pretty easily....
Cheers Ross

PS:
If it were me i would loose that fixture plate.....i don't want to give up any vertical capacity, and that universal table already gives some height away over the plain angle table...sometimes you need it all, your work may be different and the vertical height not be an issue........

Thanks Ross, great info!

As far as the fixture plate, that was one of the first things I took off, wanted too see if there were any apprentice tracks……there were none!

Unlikely I would ever use it?

Hi Kevin,

Congrats, that's a real score, nice machine. Even the paint is clean, I'm envious!

Not sure if you have done this before. If not, see here:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ring-heindenhain-vrz-753b-ls803-scales-284063

Cheers,
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I’m well aware of that thread, great info!

I’m still super excited about this machine, checked all three axes, each one was right at .004 play, also the scraping looks perfect!

Christmas came early!

Thanks again everyone!

Kevin

I have the same table on my FP2. I have the encoder and cable but don’t have the display box that’s sitting on top the TNC box. When you get around to it what is the model number for that box. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same table on my FP2. I have the encoder and cable but don’t have the display box that’s sitting on top the TNC box. When you get around to it what is the model number for that box. Thanks.

The one pictured is a Heidenhain VRZ 166, you can also use a Heidenhain VRZ560.

Is your machine an Aktive machine, if it’s not, you could get a Heidenhain Positip readout and have everything in one box?

And congrats on a great machine!

Thanks!

Kevin

Back