What's new
What's new

new to me FP1 gear moving

sharkmonkey

Plastic
Hi all,

Recently acquired this 1951 FP1. Had to ship it across the country since there are next to none of these available in Seattle. Still waiting on UPS to deliver me the tooling...which is ok (for now) since I can't fire it up yet anyway (no wiring for it). It's a 220v 50Hz Siemens motor, which I assume is 3 phase. The paint job is well worn but other than that seems to be in serviceable shape. It's just the right size for my shop!

I was testing out the functions prior to attempting to wire it when I noticed when I shifted the upper left most gear lever to the position closest to the table that the spindle would no longer turn from the handwheel. Pulled the cover and saw one of the driven gears seems to have wandered down its keyway over time and the dogs won't engage at all.

IMG_20200423_091850.jpg

The drawings I have seen don't mention how this gear is retained along the keyway, but I do see what looks like a pin through it. Or a cover for a setscrew, I'm not sure. Anyone removed the gears on the driven shaft before? Here is the "pin" in question.

IMG_20200423_105620.jpg

Thanks!

Update:

I was able to budge the gear back into place with a prybar, it appears as though that pin is just to put a little tension on the gear to help keep it in place. My guess is a bit of ham-fisted shifting over the years has pushed that gear down the shaft. Just FYI for future search results.
gear realigned.jpg

I have an FP2 not an FP1. And I have never been inside either of the gearboxes. So what I say may be wrong.

However ... to me this looks like a taper pin that is meant to hold the gear in a fixed location (axially and/or rotationally) on the shaft. If you rotate the gear 180 degrees, is there a matching part of the pin on the other side? Deckel used metric 1:50 taper pins in many places on these machines. So if it's a taper pin and (say) 30mm long, then one end will be 30/50 = 0.6mm larger in diameter than the other end. If this IS a taper pin and you can move the gear, that means that the taper pin is sheared internally and you have to get it out (not fun, even when they are intact!) and replace it.

The good news is that others on this forum have been through the same gearbox on the same machine. So if you can provide enough info and clear photos, you can go into a repair well-informed and well-prepared. Also, the correct parts (1:50 taper pins and taper pin reamers) are inexpensive and available.

If it is item 2100 30 0004 15 06 in the drawing you notice that those 2 gears have one single item# So those 2 gears are connected
They also must be able to turn on their shaft
So I do not thing it is a tapered pin through the shaft
2 Shorter pins perhaps with a shrink fit
You have to solve that IMHO
Peter
attachment.php

Last edited:
Would anyone have a repair manual for a TS115 the gears in mine have stopped working and I need a wiring diagram and test procedure, I dont have any fault codes but it will only move in 1st and 5th gear so I suspect a broken wire, The tractor has a manual shuttle.

Back