What's new
What's new

New owner Deckel FP1 question

steve26

Plastic
Hi all
I am new to metal working and machining, I have always had a keen interest in machining but never had a Opportunity to give it a go but since COVID lockdowns in Melbourne Australia I have had plenty of time on my hands and have been discovering old used machines which I have been restoring and using which have been an amazing experience when a rusty old unloved machine gets cleaned up and works well.

Now I have come across this Deckel FP1 which is performed my garage due to its very small footprint.. but I don’t know much about milling machines. Unfortunately this machine didn’t come with a motor which isn’t a massive issue because motors are readily available but I don’t know what size motor the machine originally came with so can someone please tell me know what size and speed if on their Deckel?
Also the pulley diameter?

I have attached pictures on the Deckel if anyone could let me know if there is else missing and is there anything else I need to know about this machine?

Thank you in advance .

Can someone let me know how to add pictures?

Last edited:
Its a 2 speed motor About 1.5 Kw But I would recommend a single speed with a VFD Especially if you do not have 3phase in the house
Pouly is about 80mm But someone will shim in with the right dimensions
Search the board for how to post pictures I prefere the solution with your albumon this board

Peter

Can someone let me know how to add pictures?

I believe new users need the moderator to approve them before they can upload pictures. I don’t remember any fanfare when this happened for my account, so I guess you just keep trying, and at some point it’ll start working.

Thanks for your replies. It seems I need to use a external host for pictures the I can post them which I will do shortly.

Back to the motor. I have 3 phase so all good there.
1.5kva is a lot smaller than I thought It would be I was thinking of a 4kva with a VFD but if it’s overkill the I might just use something a little smaller.

Checked it On the last generation FP1 you have a dual speed 1.5-1.9 KW motor
Speeds I do not know yet
What generation is your FP1
Does it has levers to change speeds and feeds or round dials
For pictures the best way is to create a fotoalbum on PM itself and then past the BB code in your text
With a external host you have a chance of loosing the pictures And then the posts get useless
We had that issue before

Peter

Steve26,
Peter is correct the pulley is 100mm I found a Taper Lock type to be the easiest to install, the belt I use is a Gates toothed type BX 61 while a little noiser its pliable. The electric motor I am using is a Teco D90 L 1.5Kw at 1420 RPM through a VFD, if you go direct 3 phase you will need a 2 speed one 1400 / 970 RPM (in Oz) to get all speeds.

Did your machine come with the switching gear to run a 2 speed motor and just as a heads up, not having a motor at purchase would ring alarm bells for me as to what is not being revealed, the Deckel FP1 is a finely engineered machine running close tolerances, which brings up the next consideration, has your machine been greased instead of oiled, which is a common thread at least here in Oz, see a zerk (nipple) mentality is, it must be grease, pay to check. Alan.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 129
  • belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 96
Hi Steve, im in Melbourne too if you want someone to have a chat to about this locally. Send me a PM.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It has a lever to change speeds and feed.. I am pretty sure it is a fairly old version the number is 35375.

That’s for your replies guys now I have something to go on..

Not sure about the grease or oil issue. Looks like I will need to read up on this hopefully this isn’t going to be a use as it seems like a huge job cleaning everything out..

This Mac has been sitting in someone’s shed for many years and from what I can see doesn’t look like it’s done a huge amount of work. I will get some photos as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks everyone

Hi Steve, im in Melbourne too if you want someone to have a chat to about this locally. Send me a PM.

Thank for for the offer. Just trying to work out how to send pm.. I’m in Cranbourne north.

Im actually pretty close. I just sent you a PM so fingers crossed you see it.

If the switchgear for a 2 speed motor is not present I would go with a single speed 1400RPM motor 2.2 kw and a VFD
2 speed motors are expencive and specialy the 1400-970 ones And rare to find used I think price would be cheaper with a VFD And you have all the options of good protection Good initial start up, a bit of a brake or good brake depending on the VFD is with or without resistor and of coarse variable speed
BTW be aware those machines cannot run backwards At least not with the powerfeeds or rapids on

Peter

If the switchgear for a 2 speed motor is not present I would go with a single speed 1400RPM motor 2.2 kw and a VFD
2 speed motors are expencive and specialy the 1400-970 ones And rare to find used I think price would be cheaper with a VFD And you have all the options of good protection Good initial start up, a bit of a brake or good brake depending on the VFD is with or without resistor and of coarse variable speed
BTW be aware those machines cannot run backwards At least not with the powerfeeds or rapids on

Peter

Hi Peter
Thank you for your reply. I have purchased a 1.5kv motor now with a VFD but the seller said if it isn't powerfull enough he is happy to exchange for a 2.2kv.

I just need to locate some tooling now and a vice.

Steve26,
Peter is correct the pulley is 100mm I found a Taper Lock type to be the easiest to install, the belt I use is a Gates toothed type BX 61 while a little noiser its pliable. The electric motor I am using is a Teco D90 L 1.5Kw at 1420 RPM through a VFD, if you go direct 3 phase you will need a 2 speed one 1400 / 970 RPM (in Oz) to get all speeds.

Did your machine come with the switching gear to run a 2 speed motor and just as a heads up, not having a motor at purchase would ring alarm bells for me as to what is not being revealed, the Deckel FP1 is a finely engineered machine running close tolerances, which brings up the next consideration, has your machine been greased instead of oiled, which is a common thread at least here in Oz, see a zerk (nipple) mentality is, it must be grease, pay to check. Alan.

Thanks Alan

where did you mount your VFD?
Ralp came over and said the machine seems to be in good condition but i should strip it down to make sure which im not so keen on doing as it seems pretty compicated to pull apart.

Hi Steve,
The inverter will be mounted on the wall when the machine is in its final position, keeps it away form chips etc, most modern VFD's can be remote controlled if need be. If your machine has the oil nipple on the saddle then pump in some oil till it comes out of the weep hole on the level indicator glass near the oil nipple and wait for it to appear on the Z axis ways, may take some hours initially. With an oil gun it takes about 12 strokes, with the pom pom gun I understand about 40 pumps, this is an indication only. If its a reservoir system I'm not sure, but suspect its similar, fill with oil and wait. Alan

1.5 Kw should be fine.
I would have taken 2.2kw to limit the speedchanges and keep enough torque But thats just me
I would not take it apart.
As a machinedealer I must do that sometimes because the machine is broke and it can be a real pita sometimes
Check lubrication and lube the ways manualy if need be Then work with the machine for some time and go from there

Peter

for some reason my X axis just tighend up when i used auto feed, it did disengage when it hit the stop but really tighend up and broke the Shear pin.

does anyone know what grade steel the shear pins are made from? . i need to make one..

plus why the X axis would have just tightend up? the only reason i can see is that the table travelled too far.

Last edited:
Maybe the gib is loose and can move? I can see how that could make the movement tighten up in one direction, though with careful hand feeding it might not be noticeable. Is the gib set screw locked down?

The material is free cutting steel of some sort, you can buy a 10 pack on ebay too:
10 Abscherstifte ohne Feder f. Deckel Frasmaschine FP1 FP2 FP3 /L | eBay
Thanks for your reply
I did suspect the gib but it did seem to be secure..
But I will have a better look at it.

for some reason my X axis just tighend up when i used auto feed, it did disengage when it hit the stop but really tighend up and broke the Shear pin.

does anyone know what grade steel the shear pins are made from? . i need to make one..

plus why the X axis would have just tightend up? the only reason i can see is that the table travelled too far.

Make sure the motor is not running in reverse. If the motor runs in reverse, the end stops don't work, you'll run into a hard stop somewhere and shear the pin. Ask me how I know :(.
Your spindle (& cutter) will also run in reverse, but I at least didn't notice this on the initial powerup...

Back