What's new
What's new

Non Flood Coolant System for the FP2NC

Fastguido

Aluminum
Needed a coolant system for the mill, I have the stock flood system, but I don't have a chip tray, so the flood coolant is out. During my search on alternatives systems, I found the patent papers on the "Fogbuster". I decided to build one for the Deckel. I ordered a water filter container and a needle valve from McMaster-Carr. Found a new surplus 24 volt solenoid valve and 220 volt to 24 volt control tranformer on EBAY. I first made a bracket to hold the filter container and solenoid,
DSC00003.jpg

Mounted the container/solenoid/air regulator on the bracket,
DSC00006.jpg

Purchased a small plasic box and mounted the tranformer, a terminal block, and a fuse holder in the box,
DSC00003-2.jpg

I then mounted the box on the back panel of the Deckel's colunm. I used the stock Deckel conduit/wiring that used to go to the flood system pump to go to the input of the transformer,
DSC00012-2.jpg

I have to give a big shout out to Ross, for making me that back panel, it was missing when I got the mill. I just asked him for the dimensions of the panel, but what shows up at the front door- a completed back panel! Thanks again Ross.

I then made the nozzle assy as per the patent and used the stock Deckel flood piping with some line-lock for the air supply.
DSC00011.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

Here is the completed container/solenoid assy. mounted on the wall behind the mill. It works great, except I am going to put a one way check valve on the coolant supply hose. The coolant drains back to the container when the coolant is switched off.

Monte

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

That's an elegant solution! Mine is more in the vein of Spiderman's nemesis Dock Oc. I use a boughten FogBuster. It has dual nozzles that I hang from FlexBar magnet bases stuck to the milled face on the front of the flip-head. I hang the reservoir by its bail from a Unistrut framework to the left of the mill that supports a bunch of electrical stuff and an air pipe. The boughten FogBuster comes with a valve like a toggle switch that sticks to the front of the mill's enclosure with a magnet. I don't have M-code activation. Although I have a full enclosure, I am not interested in using the flood system due to slop, corrosion, and/or smell, given that I am mostly a weekend warrior. In fact, I haven't done more than spin the spindle and cycle the slides in about a month :bawling::bawling:, due to pressing day job.

It is nice to have the "M" control in the mix, just one last thing to remember to turn on & off. I might try and come up with a plan for some kind of small chip tray/ enclosure, but I like being able to get up close to the machine. Everything idea that I can come up with is a big compromise in usability and containment.

I have the OEM full enclosure on my FP2NC, and do not find the front and right panels a hindrance to getting close, because of the way they fold down. On the other hand, the right rear panel is a pain, because it interferes with horizontal operation. The full enclosure sure helps when using facemills and drills. I find drills tend to chuck chips the farthest.

No kidding on them drills, I have a 3", six insert face mill, that that is like a snow blower when surfacing aluminum. It would be nice to contain the chips, just got to brain storm on the solution.

Having done a similar retrofit on my FP4NCs, I must say--well done. I put the wand on the operator side to blow the mist and chips away from the operator.

Very clean work on routing the wires and hoses, nice job on the enclosure at the back of the machine--looks factory, no, make that "looks like Ross did it" (even better!). :smoking:

Your FP2NC looks brand new and squeaky clean--where did it come from?

Having done a similar retrofit on my FP4NCs, I must say--well done. I put the wand on the operator side to blow the mist and chips away from the operator.

Putting the wand on the operator side is a great idea. Got any pictures?

Very clean work on routing the wires and hoses, nice job on the enclosure at the back of the machine--looks factory, no, make that "looks like Ross did it" (even better!). :smoking:

Thanks. Well, since Ross used to own the machine, I had to try do the work to Ross's standard. Nothing half assed!

Your FP2NC looks brand new and squeaky clean--where did it come from?

If I can remember the whole story correctly, Ross got the machine from a optics lab, traded it to a gentleman for a FP2, the guy never really did any thing with it (he also had a FP4NC) and I bought from him. Is that sort of how the story went, Ross? I sent a couple of weeks cleaning the machine, sent the "Y" scale out for rebuild, replaced the wipers and some other parts. I just love the old gal, see gets cleaned after every use- I have OCD.

FWIW, when I manuf. tapping machines I used a "drop shooter" by Noga that I plumbed such that each pull of the trigger of the pneumatic tapper would automatically activate the Noga to shoot one drop of tapping fluid on the tap. Not sure if the Noga drops would be enough for milling however, plus you'd need a timer of some sort to shoot the drops at regular intervals....but just throwing that out as another "non mist" possiblity for those reading this thread.

Automatic Lubricating System.

squaretap1.jpg

Back in the mid 90's Noga didn't even advertise they made these and I had to order them 25 at a time direct from Israel, but apparently now they are standard issue so anyone can buy one here.

Hey Monte,

Nice work on the mister

I called one of my customers who may have tool makers chip pan and full enclosure for sale.

I take it you would prefer full enclosure?

I am waiting on return phone call I will be in touch.

Regards
DD

Back