Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the overarm finished. Also I finished the upper half of column. I may have to go back over a few places, but bulk work is done. Plates, covers, or easier reached places I will do when mill is back together.

166.jpg167.jpg168.jpg169.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are two bolt holes in column pointing straight down, close to top of knee vertical ways. There are two positions in overarm, where you can slip bolts in through overarm to bolt in rigid to column. The first position can use arbors in the 18" range. The further extension can use 30" plus arbors.

170.jpg171.jpg172.jpg

3. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When removing the overarm originally, it was difficult to move and get out. Now cleaned and lubed, I can damned near whip the hand wheel and send the overarm flying off the column.

173.jpg174.jpg175.jpg

5. Likes Paolo_MD, Peter S, Sachmanram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Continuing on cleaning and prepping. Taking tags off we see original green under them.

The dove tail gib is not tapered. The two heavy bolts through column clamp hard against gib, and thus overarm when securing down to make rigid.

Here I have the though bolts. I replaced orings with Caterpillar equivalents I have found.

Attachment 222862Attachment 222863Attachment 222864Attachment 222865Attachment 222866
    That's real attention to detail. Putting "O" ring on the clamps. I can't recall seeing that before on any other machine. I have seen the clamps seized up when a leaking roof has allowed water to get into them though.

Regards Tyrone

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Began cleaning up base of column, where coolant system is. It works something like a labyrinth, in that there are a series of traps and such to catch debris. The dirty water from table enters the 90 degree fitting in first pic.

There is a solid wall between that fitting, and the circle cover hole next to coolant pump. So coolant must travel counter clockwise through base, until it circle back around to pump. Most debree should be caught, and acess to clean under the two plates that straddle knee vertical screw.

It was truly disgusting. It stank to high heaven and was filled with all kinds of garbage. From entry fitting to around knee is finished cleaning. I still need to get further up under column and remove pump to get the rest.

Also a minor mystery. There is a 4 bolt circle plate that covers a sealed void directly behind the mounting for knee screw. I was guessing perhaps a sump or another motor option, but to what end, I'm not sure.

176.jpg177.jpg179.jpg178.jpg

8. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had been a little slow getting things done the past couple weeks due to work. But while working I had been on some Z drive boats, and for those interested Z drives don't use a propeller shaft in the traditional way. It's more or less a 90 degree drive that is straight down through bottom of boat and can rotate to push boat in any direction.

At any rate looking at the top side of the Z drives, I began to envision the color blue again. . .

Also I had some flaws in cast iron of overarm and column that I wanted to address. When stripping paint there was some filler that came away also. I don't typically use body filler on machines, except on rare occasions, like a dent or gouge. But this overarm had multiple places that looked really odd, like grinder streaks running the length on top and sides.

It looked bad with new paint, so I thought I'd go back over it and fill those odd places.

Also a pic of upper section of Z drive. . .

180.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deciding I was going to go back over and fill some flaws in what I painted, and having in my mind's eye what it could look like blue, well, I thought I'd give it a shot.

A preview of things to come:

181.jpg182.jpg183.jpg184.jpg185.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finished prepping column for knee. I had more pics, but for reasons unknown to me a lot were coming out grainy or weird with lighting, as you'll see in the next few posts, so I deleted a bunch.

186.jpg187.jpg188.jpg189.jpg190.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Started prepping knee. I had done a basic cleaning previous, but had to go over it a little more serious before mounting to column.

One feature are locking bolts to secure knee to column for rigidity. There are two bolts, top and bottom which press a steel plug onto gib, forcing gib tight against column ways. Bolts turned fine, but plugs were stuck. Got them out, cleaned and lubed.

Each bolt has its own tag for description, which I thought is nice. "Clamping screw of the knee". I'll clean those up later.

191.jpg192.jpg193.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next I wanted to make sure the lube system for vertical ways worked and wasn't clogged. Particularly because the main junction block is totally inaccessible with knee mounted, as it sits in middle of ways for vertical.

Using a hand pump that I use to prime certain diesel fuel systems, I connected to lube input line. I figured I'd pump mineral spirits first, then swap to ATF once cleared out. I found I could hold 20 psi before any of the lube galleries started started pushing any fluid out, and then only 3 of 6 for vertical ways were working. In fact I could build up 50-60 psi no problem if I worked the pump fast enough. A 7th line that feeds vertical screw was showing fluid.

Started going through the system to see what was blocked. Found the 7 outlet fittings on junction block are not just fittings. They are a check valve of sorts, I'm guessing directional, one way fittings. They are small, smaller than 1/8 pipe fittings.

Taking them apart, I found a small circle spring holds what I think of as a stone filter, its not stone, but looks like a brass sponge, like the gas filters in old carbureted gasoline cars. There was also a pin working as valve. Anyway all the filters were plugged up.

Not wanting to remove the knee to service these, and not wanting lube problems, I gutted them. Now they work as fully open restricter fittings. After pumping mineral spirits through it and getting garbage out of oil galleries. I went ahead and pumped ATF through and it flows nice now.

194.jpg197.jpg195.jpg196.jpg198.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cleaned ways on column and knee a final time and mounted knee. With that done it clears up a bit of floor space for me, and I can get around a whole lot easier. I do intend to lift saddle off, as well address the one gear box, but I'm going to take a little time to clean and organize in the shop. I also have some other projects I need to wrap up, so it may be a couple of weeks before I get back to this.

For as big as it is you can get an idea that I can get around it fairly well, and even when table is on I'll have clear access to the lathe beside it. I'm toying with the idea of selling both my 16 x 6 South Bend lathes, and going with a single L & S, Hendey, or Monarch, which may buy me more floor space, depending on size, but I need a little time before I cross that bridge.

199.jpg200.jpg201.jpg202.jpg203.jpg

15. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Texas, you do real nice work . I like the blue color, I tend to have an aversion to gray, probably from my navy days... (good detail on the letters too) Jim

17. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Texas, you do real nice work . I like the blue color, I tend to have an aversion to gray, probably from my navy days... (good detail on the letters too) Jim
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I was feeling like a lunatic wavering on colors. I usually just make a snap decision and go with it. For some reason this was long and painful to decide, haha. I do like gray quite a lot for machines, but some don't seem right for it. I think this machine would have been ok gray, but with the style of tags and such I was thinking maybe something different.

Also, I have quite a bit of gray on other machines, and was starting to feel a gloomy, lol. Now that things are getting done, I'm digging the color on this, looks real nice in person.