What's new
What's new

Oerlikon UB2

Spud

Diamond
Lusted after it years ago, back to lusting it after it considering how usefull it is owing to its relative portability, which would serve me well right now.

So anyone here have one? Know what they go for in good condition?

Used to search Ebay....knew it was fruitless search but what THe hell.
Never seen one mentioned for sale in the US , auctions or machinery dealers.

Oerlikon UB2

considering how usefull it is owing to its relative portability, which would serve me well right now.

Relative is the word, unless your friends call you Hulk !

That's a hell of a machine (asthetically at least), but unless your projects fall in the shipyard category, I would not call it portable...
Luthy Machines in Switzerland has a nice one at the moment.

IMG_7068.jpg

I had one long ago, in the 70s. MT3 taper with a drawbar, so you can use MT3 collets. Was more sophisticated than I was at the time, I never found a dealer or parts source before I traded it on a new mill.

I had one long ago, in the 70s. MT3 taper with a drawbar, so you can use MT3 collets. Was more sophisticated than I was at the time, I never found a dealer or parts source before I traded it on a new mill.

Ya wouldn't happen to know its whereabouts , and if so could ya PM me please :bowdown:. Just a wild ass guess, what do you think one of those would cost ?

Watch Milacron reply with the " drink " or " nutter " emoticon:D

Sorry, no idea. I traded it to a dealer in York PA about '78, he's been out of business about 10 years now. The salesman told me later that thy sold it to someone who put a DRO on the XY table, no idea who or where, couldn't find that salesman now if I had to. It had a noisy gear in one speed range, There were a few new gears with it. Someone had tried to disassemble it and had partially drilled out the head of a large socket head capscrew in the side of the ram and stopped, it wasn't noisy enough for me to worry about for the small amount I used it so I never investigated further.

I later met the owner previous to me, who declared that the XY table graduations were not accurate.

I remember that the manual had a name on it and the town name of Lauerdale PA. I never found out where Lauerdale PA is.

There - lots of information but nothing you can use. Sorry!

I think I paid $1200 - 1300 in the mid-late 70s.

I've only encountered one of those in real life. Was in a mold shop in MN that Asset Sales auctioned off just a month after the 9/11 tragedy. Considering the recession and down mood in general, I figured it would go cheap but it actually went for more than $3,000 as I recall. Still not bad but too much for me at the time. Surprisingly, most everything went kinda high at that auction. But there was another auction the next day where machines sold pretty low (also Asset Sales, same town, different company) So, worked out for the other iron (late Sodick sinker CNC EDM, etc)...but didn't get that weird looking radial drill.

About 4 years ago HRG Surplus had a huge beautiful Oerlikon gantry jig borer (i.e sort of like a medium size SIP) in their warehouse dirt cheap. I kept pacing in the cold staring at it trying to figure out a way to justify buying it but never could. Wonder who it sold to ?

Another interesting radial drill I've encountered a few times is the Donau, made in Germany. Kinda like a Johansson or Wells Index (yes, Wells Index !), but made way better. Here again, kinda odd duck for USA, figured they'd sell cheap...but never did. Apparently moldmakers like them alot.

BTW
Anyone know if Oerlikon made the X/Y table or it was made for them?
I'm not sure but if forced to guess I would say Oerlikon made the table. I say that because I've never seen one like it anywhere else and because you can just barely make out the nameplate on the front and the logo looks the same as the logo on the drill base. Could be distributor tags (Heck, could be two Luthy stickers for all I know) of course but more likely it's Oerlikons.

There was one sold out of a NJ dealer about 5 years ago for I think about $1000.00. Paint was bad no X Y table good mechanical condition. Somebody decided that it needed a riser block so they made one out of a piece of 12 x 12 x 12 inch cold rolled, added almost 500 lb's to the weight.

It was sold to me as a milling machine. I knew less than nothing about machining and knew no one who did, wanted a mill to use, accepted the dealer's word that it would work for me. Just one of many tests I got before the lesson. I traded it for a brand new Wells index 847 after a few years of mucking about.

The first owner of my machine must have used it for boring holes. It came with a selection of boring tools that had hollow bodies which screwed on over the OD of the threaded spindle nose and had microbore style adjustable inserts.

Relative is the word, unless your friends call you Hulk !

Actually, the size is quite compact. For the capability very.

What is relative is the price. Huge variability there. I've seen them from 2 --> 20k CHf. Also price varies depending on table type (some offer vertical clamping) and also the vertical reach.

@spud. Are you in USA or Asia?

Below is the machine that HGR surplus had. I was calling it a jig borer, but it may be just a very rigid radial drill really.
1065-3126-25092012071032828.jpg

ttttttttt
Actually, the size is quite compact. For the capability very.

What is relative is the price. Huge variability there. I've seen them from 2 --> 20k CHf. Also price varies depending on table type (some offer vertical clamping) and also the vertical reach.

@spud. Are you in USA or Asia?

In Ceylon at the moment but will head back to US atleast by end of Feb.

Other than shipyards (which there can't be much of in Swiss ;)) who uses these?

Well it does come with just the base (minus the table/cart)which sort of makes it mill drill size

Still a serious beast, even without the table.
From a pure purpose standpoint, I wonder what could make it more desirable than a good mag-drill (wich qualifies so much better as portable).

Still a serious beast, even without the table.
From a pure purpose standpoint, I wonder what could make it more desirable than a good mag-drill (wich qualifies so much better as portable).

True a mag drill could do some of the things and can be used in situations where this would be too cumbersome/problematic like I-Beams up in the air. With a Mag you need to attach it to something, usually the workpiece, but the UB2 is free stabding.

I wonder what the UB2 weighs for just the column and drill head, i.e. no base at all. With base, Lathes.co.uk says 600kgs.

---

So I found this UB2 mentioned in below forum , that was advertised for sale on Ebay . It lacks an X/Y table and is too dear at $5875. Was advertised just under a year ago.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/archive/index.php/t-148646.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oerlikon-Un...254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a19c82406

BTW
Below post is from above Wood forum; got to agree that is a nice Ebay add.

"That is an astonishingly well presented machine, isn't it. That listing should be in the hall of fame for how to list your item. The seller also keeps a stable of Deckel machines...he sold one a year or so ago on PM. I think his name is Pete.

In the photos there is a picture of a young Elvis Presley fixin' to do some drillin'
"

Back