What's new
What's new

Oiler problem solved

AlfaGTA

Diamond
Last week i wanted to oil the table on my FP4NC universal table(2038). It is fitted with two oil resivours (sight glasses) and one "Zerk" looking oil fitting that supplies oil to the table sliding surfaces for rotation. Now i have been down this road before. On my FP2 i was so frustrated with the factory oil gun that i fitted a "one shot" oil pump and resivour. The trouble with the factory gun is that on the FP2 you need to fill the sight glasses on both sides of the vertical slide through 2 "zerk" oil fittings on the right side of the slide. This process required enough oil that every time i needed to run the machine (daily) i had to fill the gun. Then when not used and stored on the rack inside the right coiver of the machine the oil gun was a constant leak of way oil..just could not keep it dry...so it drove me to the one shot system.
Now since the FP2 has been replaced at work by an FP3 (FP2 went home) i no longer have the leaking oil gun (the FP3 has a one shot as a factory install and no "zerk" style fittings). So now how to lube the table?
Did a look in McMaster Carr and behold they have an "Oil Gun" avaliable. Now mayube this is old information, but it was new to me. I ordered the gun adn it came on friday. I want to say that it looks like a good solution! The unit is made in Germany, and is of good quality. The body holds 10 oz of liquid, but to mu eye it looks larger than that. It is made similar to a grease gun, having a handle that operated a small cross mounted piston. Difference is that the resivour is fitted with a cup shaped spring loaded plunger to push the oil to the pump element. It also is fitted with a bleeder to get any air pocket out of the gun. The nozzle is on a rigid tube, with a slight angle, that can be rotated and secured with a sealing wing nut where the tube enters the pump. The nozzle is a collet type that allows tightening for good seal to the fitting once it is on. The nozzle looks to have a tefflon of nylon sealing face to give good leak tight fit to the fitting being oiled.
Don't know how leak proof the gun will prove to be, but so far it is good. I plan to order another so that i will have one for my ISO 220 way oil (CNC table)and one for the ISO 68 (manual machines).
The pump cost about $58.00 and the order number is: 1879K48.
They have a larger unit avaliable as well if you have a fleet of machines to oil.

Cheers Ross

To make an oil gun for my Aciera F-2, I just took a decent Alemite grease gun and replaced the plunger rod with a short screw and some rubber washers to seal the hole. It doesn't leak if I store it with the barrel pointed downwards, and holds plenty of oil.

Back