What's new
What's new

OK to run FP2 with vertical head attached and horizontal spindle removed?

ballen

Diamond
I've decided to open, clean and grease the horizontal spindle of my FP2. Now that I have it out, I need to make a couple of special wrenches. I'd like to use the vertical head on the FP2 to do this, but with the horizontal spindle removed. Does anyone see a problem with that?? I will of course plug the 80mm hole in the front and the 38mm one in the back to keep oil in and dirt out.

As far as I can tell, the transfer gear (which moves power from the headstock/ram up to the vertical spindle) is entirely supported by two 6010 bearings and does not get any support from the horizontal spindle. So having the horizontal spindle out should be no problem.

Hi there Bruce,

I might have the plug somewhere to save you from turning :P.
Did this last year, and it was for more than a few days. My reasoning said it was ok, and nothing strange happened in the meantime so I suppose is was really ok :)

Good luck on your overhaul.

BR,
Thanos

Hi Thanos,

I might have the plug somewhere to save you from turning :P.

Thanks. I made one for painting, but then converted it to a 6010 bearing puller, then lent it to Karl. I'm just going to use some masking tape.

Did this last year, and it was for more than a few days. My reasoning said it was ok, and nothing strange happened in the meantime so I suppose is was really ok :)

That's reassuring, thank you!

Good luck on your overhaul.

I'm going to study your thread and Ross' thread for pointers. So far I am seeing signs that Bubba was here already (for example the nut on the spindle has badly beaten-up slots, which I am now making a proper wrench for).

In the worst case, I pack all of the bits in a box and send it to Uncle Franz for some TLC :).

Cheers,
Bruce

Last edited:
I am sure you'd do a better job than me but if, for a reason, you need the wrench for adjusting the bearings, I can send it over.

BR,
Thanos

OK, confirmed, the machine runs fine with the vertical spindle and no horizontal spindle.

attachment.php

Back