What's new
What's new

OMG.... what is the deal with this Deckel monitor retrofit ?

The monitor would be useful on Dialog 4 if turned sideways and programmed so you could see seven blocks of code across the screen. D4 only lets you see three blocks across at a time, which can be a hindrance. Speaking of which, I wonder who thought of the idea of showing the blocks in D4 arrayed horizontally, instead of vertically like seemingly every other control out there?

Looks like an old WYSIWYG monitor.

More likely widescreen monitors are available for pocket change but don't fit in the format of the control.

Maybe multi window apps stacked vertically

Guys this is just a Mach 3 conversion using a PC. Tidy but still windows and Mach.
You can see in the last picture the controller, it is a CS lab csmio. Only runs on Mach. Seems like a lot to pay for a hobby style conversion.

Just did a google translate on the add, screen, control panel and pc are not included. Seems you get a diy kit of servo drives and servos, spindle drive and the CSMIO controller and a mpg.

Guys this is just a Mach 3 conversion using a PC. Tidy but still windows and Mach.
You can see in the last picture the controller, it is a CS lab csmio. Only runs on Mach. Seems like a lot to pay for a hobby style conversion.
I have tried Mach3 on a lathe directed at students. Mach3 is absolutely awful compared to any CNC I have ever dealt with. I would not trust my valuable iron to a Mach3 control. There is too much risk of it flaking out and causing a real metal-on-metal crash.

I am sure its an indicator of my age. Think if the job and iron mater then real hard coded purpose built industrial controls are what is needed.
Don't need to be able to surf the web from the machine. Don't need the ability to work on text documents or have millions of colors.....
What i need is a dead reliable 100 % trusted system that moves the machine exactly the way i program it with no surprises or deviations.....Don't need no stinking crashes
or glitches....something proven with real support when things get fuzzy.
Cheers Ross

The monitor would be useful on Dialog 4 if turned sideways and programmed so you could see seven blocks of code across the screen. D4 only lets you see three blocks across at a time, which can be a hindrance. Speaking of which, I wonder who thought of the idea of showing the blocks in D4 arrayed horizontally, instead of vertically like seemingly every other control out there?

It makes sense if you think about it from a 1970’s perspective. Paper tape was a common I/O medium, so the Dialog display is just emulating reading a paper tape.

Back