What's new
What's new

Operation of Late / Young Deckel FP2 Controls

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

Just upgraded my 1965 FP2 (Imperial) to a Metric (1974) FP2 yet to arrive.

Simple question as I cannot find an English Operators Manual to answer my question :confused:

My "New" machine has the two dials with with knobs in the middle, questions are:

1. Are they just High and Low selections or High Neutral and Low?
2. Do you pull out and turn to make the alternative selection or simply turn?

All answers greatly appreciated (I guess it will be obvious if I had the machine but as yet it's still overseas :dunce:

MTIA

John :typing:

On my 1966/7 FP2, you pull out the knobs to change settings. Both of them are H/L/N on mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To the best of my knowledge there are three different spindle gear setups on the FP2 (Manual) machines...

The first style is what i call the crank and dial selector.....
There is a large dial that has the speed numbers printed around the dial face.....In the center of the dial is a lever that points up....this lever has three positions, right, center and left.
These lever positions give either a high or low range (both choices are on the dial and can be selected when they are at the 12:o-clock position....

To change the dial and bring up another set of speeds you must rotate the small "crank" knob that sits just below the large dial...The crank must be rotated one full rotation for each range change...
There is a spring plunger on the crank that fits into a recess on the machine panel so that you are sure to rotate the crank a multiple of full turns to get to the range on the big dial that you desire...

The lever center position gives a neutral position.....
The speed range for this setup runs from 31rpm (i believe) through to and including 2000 RPM....

The second speed gear change uses two concentric dials,,,,,,
There is a large dial(again) with the speed ranges printed on its face...The ranges are printed in two concentric rows..the outer ring is printed with a black background and white numbers...This is the high speed ranges...
The inner number ring is printed with black numbers on a white background (or plain silver aluminum) This is the low speed range....

The active range (high and low) is only available when its at the straight up 12:00 position.
To change the ranges (move the large ring) you pull out the larger black plastic knob in the center of the dial...and rotate it to move the indicating dial with the numbers to get the speed range desired....
The plastic knob is fitted with a pin that must engage a locating hole when released....this makes sure you have moved things to their proper fully engaged position....

In the center of the larger plastic dial, is a smaller dial that is also plastic. It has two colors on its face....Black and white (or silver) moving this dial to get the color of the speed range desired to the 12:00 position...
So if you move the center dial to have "black" straight up , you have selected the high speed that is currently at the 12:00 position on the indicator dial......
Rotating the center plastic knob to the left will bring the white color to 12:00 and select the low speed of the indicated range....
Centering the small plastic knob gives neutral...

The final speed setup is the same as above , but has extended spindle speeds by incorporating a high and low speed on the main motor.....In this arrangement the "extra speeds " are printed within the low speed ring on the indicator dial, but are printed in black outline with a clear center...those speeds are accessed using the low speed of the main motor....

Cheers Ross

To the best of my knowledge there are three different spindle gear setups on the FP2 (Manual) machines...

The first style is what i call the crank and dial selector.....
There is a large dial that has the speed numbers printed around the dial face.....In the center of the dial is a lever that points up....this lever has three positions, right, center and left.
These lever positions give either a high or low range (both choices are on the dial and can be selected when they are at the 12:o-clock position....

To change the dial and bring up another set of speeds you must rotate the small "crank" knob that sits just below the large dial...The crank must be rotated one full rotation for each range change...
There is a spring plunger on the crank that fits into a recess on the machine panel so that you are sure to rotate the crank a multiple of full turns to get to the range on the big dial that you desire...

The lever center position gives a neutral position.....
The speed range for this setup runs from 31rpm (i believe) through to and including 2000 RPM....

The second speed gear change uses two concentric dials,,,,,,
There is a large dial(again) with the speed ranges printed on its face...The ranges are printed in two concentric rows..the outer ring is printed with a black background and white numbers...This is the high speed ranges...
The inner number ring is printed with black numbers on a white background (or plain silver aluminum) This is the low speed range....

The active range (high and low) is only available when its at the straight up 12:00 position.
To change the ranges (move the large ring) you pull out the larger black plastic knob in the center of the dial...and rotate it to move the indicating dial with the numbers to get the speed range desired....
The plastic knob is fitted with a pin that must engage a locating hole when released....this makes sure you have moved things to their proper fully engaged position....

In the center of the larger plastic dial, is a smaller dial that is also plastic. It has two colors on its face....Black and white (or silver) moving this dial to get the color of the speed range desired to the 12:00 position...
So if you move the center dial to have "black" straight up , you have selected the high speed that is currently at the 12:00 position on the indicator dial......
Rotating the center plastic knob to the left will bring the white color to 12:00 and select the low speed of the indicated range....
Centering the small plastic knob gives neutral...

The final speed setup is the same as above , but has extended spindle speeds by incorporating a high and low speed on the main motor.....In this arrangement the "extra speeds " are printed within the low speed ring on the indicator dial, but are printed in black outline with a clear center...those speeds are accessed using the low speed of the main motor....

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross

Thank you very much for your detailed explanations ... looking at the dealer's images I presume your second option is my version.

16.jpg

John :typing:

PS: The machine was re-worked by a German company in 1989 hence the new switch gear position and different hand wheels.

John:
Yes...long winded explanation...You are correct.second dial setup.

Pull out the larger plastic dial...be sure it returns flush to the indicator dial ...which means that the index pin engages....
Range selected is at 12:00 ...center dial selects high, neutral or low of that range.
Feed woks exactly the same....
Cheers Ross

John:
Yes...long winded explanation...You are correct.second dial setup.

Pull out the larger plastic dial...be sure it returns flush to the indicator dial ...which means that the index pin engages....
Range selected is at 12:00 ...center dial selects high, neutral or low of that range.
Feed woks exactly the same....
Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross

Really appreciate your time to give a very detailed overview of operation.

Have a great weekend :)

John :typing::cheers:

Back