What's new
What's new

OT- Language question - Tapping Machine in German ?

Gewindeschneidmaschinen

Pneumatische und Elektrische Gewindeschneidmaschinen | Laser Graviermaschinen und Gewindeschneidmaschinen

There is no implication of internal threading, the same word is used for machines that cut external threads on steel pipes, for example.

German to English is easy because they "shrink wrap" all the important parts of an assembly into the same bag:

gewinde
schneid
maschinen

thread
cutting
machinery

English to German is harder because we as loose parts "assembly required" do ship... and don't even provide a proper BOM or assembly drawing.

You thought German made-up-9-yard long words were a problem?

Packaged "solution" no further assembly required, batteries even included, rather.

Downside? Got it in one. You have to be looking at it from THEIR "side"

Yikes.... and there's no shorter version, like a slang term for the same thing ?

Would you have wanted your Benz delivered as loose parts?

What is the ENGLISH "shorter version" or "slang" term for "thread cutting machine".

"Power tapper?" Surely saves one whole word. But loses precise context as the price of it. "Tapper" even more so.

Betcha Bill "Bojangles" Robinson could whup a power tapper's mechanized ass even faster than John Henry beat that steam hammer down!

:)

And does it translate as internal threading ?

I'd say Gewindeschneidmaschine. An "n" on the end makes it plural.

You might even try Innengewindeschneidmaschine. For Internal tapping machine - that gives me hits in my search engine of choice. Like Thermite says: string together the components into a single word.

Good luck,

Hans

And a tapping machine operator with a PhD would be properly addressed as

Herr Doctor Gewindeschneidmaschinenbedenier

Meahh... not a "PhD" in it, but how about:

Herr Promotion Diplom Ingenieur Gewindeschneidmaschinenbedenier

Daily Driver name? "Der schnellerschneider"? Or just "twisty Hans"?

Either way? Fer gawds sake.. don't let 'im get aholt of the keys to the company truck!!!

:D

Back