What's new
What's new

Part identification (just for fun)

AlfaGTA

Diamond
Working on a "big" project...pun intended!
Most of you know that i do work on "Old Cars", some older than others.
Got an engine case mounted on the table of my FP4NC. Ultimate goal is to line bore the main housings...they are in poor shape.
In order to do this i need to re-establish a good datum at each end of the case for the crank hence the reason it is on the Deckel. (stretching my working range here a bit)

Bar extending from the case is a test bar that i have fitted using setup bushings. The other shaft visible (shorter) is the power output set in its factory bearings. The main housing
is the hole between the two shafts.....

No prizes for correct answers, just the fun of discovery or the demonstration of your knowledge...
Happy Holidays......

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh, and the round stand off's the case is setting on are not part of the original piece, rather shop built fixtures to allow holding this part....
The case is sitting on its side, the actual top is seen in the second photo.

Cheers Ross

Flat 12 would probably be a Ferrari model. Maybe a Franklin aircraft engine? Whatever it is, I'm sure its rare and valuable- good luck and proceed slowly!

Porsche flat 12? 912? Top view looks about right fo distributor drives and fan drive.

Clive

Mud: correct maker...

Clive:Correct engine series number ....912
Engine is from the much vaunted Porsche 917.....This engine is from one of the Gulf cars i believe...

Nice work guys....took less time than i would have guessed!
Cheers Ross

One of the Baddest-Assed race cars ever built....its quite a story ...Very German of course.

Never seen one in person (naked engine that is) .....Lots of challenges here with this one....Will post more as things progress.
Cheers Ross

Kinda, sorta knew a guy who drove a 917 in the CanAm circuit. Significantly more hp in that version of a 917 than current F1. Not just the car was bad ass...

Drooling at your pics. Again...

L7

Yep, that car ,917, is what killed the CanAm series...it was just unbeatable once sorted out...Those Chevy powered McLaren's just could not keep up.....
Denny Hulme told me that towards the end it got ugly at McLaren...Paddocks looked like war zones with the caresses of dead Chevy big blocks strewn about in bleeding pools of oil...

That engine was designed and put directly into production...no prototype was built. Porsche gambled big time on that. They produced enough engines and chassis to field 25 cars and spares to qualify
for FIA certification ....all in one production run...

Cheers Ross

Not that job lot of 917 parts sold 8 or 10 years ago? I did wonder what horrors would've lurked there if so!

Mate built a replica 908 recently, chassis reputedly the same in both cars, except he elected not to use flimsy al or mag tube that's ready to kill you. The quip attributed to Brian Redman that only Douglas Bader was qualified to drive them still holds true when you look in the cockpit. :D

Looking forward to seeing the continuing work on this engine.
Has the basis for a classic Ross education session, and we haven't had one for a while.

Charles

Ross, what is the reason that Porsche went to a design with an output shaft *and* a crankshaft?

Dave

Dave:
Porsche engineers were concerned with the harmonic vibrations of a long crank shaft.
By taking the power out of the crank in the center they in effect cancelled the problem. Cams, and fan drive all are geared to the center of the crank.
Did some other revolutionary tricks. They fed the oil to the rods through the end of the crank (think this was the first time this was done) allowed reduced oil pressure as the oil did not have to overcome
the centripetal forces to push in through the mains as in most engine oiling setups. Lower oil pressure means power power required and lower oil temp....

When queried some time later about some of their design advances the design staff said that they had not gained patents on their work due to the speed that the project was proceeding...

As an aside, Alfa Romeo understood the problems associated with long engine structures...All the 8-C Alfa engines (straight "8" double overhead cam supercharged) had the cams and all accessories including the blowers
driven from the center of the crank.....Output was conventional from a flange at the rear of the crank...Circa 1931......

Cheers Ross

Back