What's new
What's new

Picomax 50 in action video

Nice system, but the taper should still be wiped clean before swapping. You can see the chips in the storage pocket, all along the storage frame, and presumably in the spindle too.

I must say that I'm dubious when I see the first insert mill he uses on the video.

The concept of the SF32 rely on three small retention balls I wouldn't totally trust for high loads.
For a light finishing pass in aluminium, ok... But for for large diameter tools or heavy pass... I'm dubious.

I've noticed that the force required to eject the tool greatly varies depending upon the kind of work that was performed.
Light after light work or drilling... but clearly more after more demanding tasks like milling.

That is, more demanding for a P18 wich has a 55mm - just a tad over 2'- diameter quill... So the limiting factor shouldn't be the SF32 in my case.

To me, it is a clear sign that the attachment or the retention balls "seat" themselves in the spindle under the load (and there's no provision for adjusting the retention force).
I've also noticed visible signs of light brinelling on the ledge of the retention slot, on several of my attachments.

All that has me wondering when I see SF32 attachments mated to big milling cutters. :skep:

That said, the SF32 is a great system for what it is, and it's really one of the highlights of the small Fehlmanns

Last edited:
He makes a mistake which is not so good in a video about professional training. He machines against the movable jaw of the vice.

the money he has in the toolholders would buy a small aciera.

The speed advantage his retention system has over PDQ-Marlin - adapted to near-as-dammit ANY mill, and over a broad range of sizes - might also evaporate if both players had to properly CLEAN their nose-art each change, as mentioned arredy.

"Not all that facinating". Not even all that wise for the OEM or a favored distributor/dealer to do a half-vast job of selling "vast" benefits.

2CW.

How does the machine prevent tool ejection during machining?
I mean, if you accidentally bump the lever during machining and the tools pops out, not cool for your spindle and tool.

Apart from that, certainly a nice drill press. Probably nice and precise, as usual on swiss stuff. But it also has the usual swiss price and all the swiss weirdness like SF32 taper and variator drive, that's why I rather have Deckel/Maho for milling/heaving drilling and classic Aciera (2TF1 and 6TF1) drill presses for small drilling. Also very nicely build and precise, but without the swiss weirdness and price tag

How does the machine prevent tool ejection during machining?
I mean, if you accidentally bump the lever during machining and the tools pops out, not cool for your spindle and tool.
Frankly I can't imagine a scenario where one would be milling and "accidentally bump the lever". And even if you did most likely nothing would happen as it takes some extra force to move the quill beyond the normal zero Z position...not to mention the quill brake would be engaged when doing milling other than light milling.

Re comparisons to small drilling with Aciera machines, I suspect the Fehlmann quill moves more smoothly but another important difference is that Fehlmann is still in business....Aciera is long gone.

Of course one still needs the Deckel or Maho as well, for serious and/or angular milling...but neither is as nice for drilling. And yeah of course you could use the optional Deckel high speed head or jig bore head but besides the PITA of installing and un-installling same just to drill or bore a few holes, neither quill moves as nicely as the Fehlmann version.

Back to the video, it is ironic they are showing one of the most accurate manual mill drills in the world to machine something that needs that accuracy like we all need holes in our heads ! :dopeslap:

needs that accuracy like we all need holes in our heads ! :dopeslap:

Even I am not REALLY going to ask how a person could eat, drink. hear, or breath without... never mind.. you'll have an answer!

;)

Last time you got all salesie about a drillpress I ended up spending several times its cost just to get an AB5/S HOME!

And then there was that French gal. I was just sitting there minding everyone else's business and eating whole-grain snacks, and then... all these starred tailstock comparisons sorta trickled in over the transom. Nobody can resist the prospect of great tail for long!

I am growing fond of that French gal, BTW.

You.. and Elliot White Springs... a buck well spent... indeed!

:)

Back