What's new
What's new

possibly OT: Arboga EM-825 built for U.S.A., any info out there?

MZ

Aluminum
Unsure if this is an appropriate forum;at least Abene is a Swedish link…

I followed a cryptic Craigslist ad for a "small Swedish mill" near Boston, and brought home an Arboga EM-825 mill/drill. I have googled the snot out of it and found a few useful posts on these mills, but I can find no information on this particular variation; hoping someone here can shed more light.

It looks a bit like the green one shown halfway down on Tony's site

Arboga milling machines

(that is, gear shifters on the right, large diameter column, smooth cast iron base).

The nameplate says "Made in Sweden." However it also shows that it's factory wired for 115V 60 Hz single phase, 3350/1680 RPM, 0.9/0.65 HP, 10.5/6.3A. The 8 spindle speeds on the shift chart run from 125 to 3480 RPM.

There are two large capacitors mounted inside the base, measuring 20 uF each, wired in parallel. I don't hear any click from a centrifugal switch or potential relay when it starts/stops, and the caps look like "run" types. So I surmise the motor may be configured as a PSC type. There's no "reverse", only off, low, and high speed on the 3-position drum switch. There are 7 wires from the motor to the drum, plus two from the capacitor bank. I traced connections for both speeds, but have not made a neat diagram yet.

The machine has inch dials and screws (.200"/rev on X and Y, .060"/rev on the fine quill feed). The table only has two T-slots, the middle feature being just an alignment groove, as a slot would interfere with the leadscrew. Both X and Y axes have large chromed ball handles.

The machine bears a metal plate with the name "Homestrand Machine Tool Corp., Greenwich, Connecticut," and came with another loose plate which reads "Arboga Sales and Service by Bridgeport" (with that last word rendered in the familiar script logo).

I've gathered and/or ordered all the documentation I can find, but would greatly appreciate any information at all about these. In particular, the single phase two-speed motor setup does not appear in any literature or posts I've discovered.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

P.S. incidentally the machine does run, pretty well in fact. Bearings and gears sound OK. It came with a factory MT3 spindle adapter to accept a set of six Swedish "Perman system" collets, 1/8" to 1/2", so it takes end mills and a straight shank drill chuck right out of the box. Axis alignment was odd, not sure everything is original, but I got it into tram with a couple shims.

Hi Mike,

I've heard that these are nice machines! How about posting some photos? You can just edit your post to insert them. That might help get some feedback...

Cheers,
Bruce

She's a tad shy as a PO applied hideous paint (actually at least twice, over the original factory green). Anyway, in the interest of science...

Another fun fact (presumably also "USA export exclusive"): accessible fasteners on this machine all have UNC inch threads, but are provided with metric size heads!

For example, table gib adjusters are 3/8"-16, but their lock nuts take a 15mm wrench. Column gibs are 1/4"-20 SHSS, but their locknuts take a 12mm wrench, and what's more, the setscrews themselves take a 3mm hex. Bolts holding the table to the base are 7/16"-14 with 15mm heads. The column clamps are threaded 1/2"-13. The quill lock is threaded 1/4"-20. And so on.

Is it possible they bent over backward to make the product "maintainable" on this side of the pond, in terms of spares, but were allergic to changing even the simplest assembly line tools? To such a degree that they ordered custom jacked-up fasteners? One wonders.

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 411
Well Bruce, it's an order of magnitude less "machine," just a simple light mill/drill. So _fractionally_ they could still be "comparably damaged."

Still, if you should ever want to trade... ;^)

Mike

Mike, thanks for the photos - it looks very clean - there is probably much less damage to fix than on my FP2. Bruce

(UPDATE)

No direct hits, but enough clues have trickled in from helpful sources to assemble a partial picture. Particular thanks
to fellow PM member Arno and to Tony Griffiths at lathe.co.uk

Summary to date:

- Matching up column, table, knob, and handwheel details with various parts diagrams and catalog photos, I surmise my machine was probably built between 1962 and 1964.

- It retailed then at what is now (2013) the equivalent of US$7,000. (I did not pay that much for it... )

- Homestrand Machine was the designated importer/representative of Arboga in the USA in the 50's and 60's (at least).

- A 1954 Arboga flyer shows that the 115V/single phase/dual speed motor was a standard offering, at least in North America. (Still seeking a corresponding wiring diagram or winding specs).

- However, a correspondent formerly associated with the Canadian importer confirms that a 115V option was NOT offered by Arboga in 1969 or thereafter, despite widespread requests for it.

- I've now dug up and perused many more web ads, auctions, videos, blogs, etc. featuring EM-825's; of these (say, ~15 distinct machines, not including all the U2508's and drills) mine remains the sole 115V example.

- The metric head/inch thread fastener peculiarity was evidently common to all Arbogas, export and otherwise. Might just be a "spare parts monopoly" thing. (Like when Starrett specs a USS#14-24 clamp screw which they will replace for a mere $22, rather than a functionally equivalent 1/4-20 available from the hardware store for a nickel.)

- The Bridgeport link remains a mystery.

Thanks for all the responses; further info always appreciated. Also, if anyone with a similar machine wishes to compare, please send me a PM; I think my profile is now fixed.

Mike

Hey Mike, I just got one of these machines and am having trouble getting the wiring reconnected. Have you got any schematics? Thanks

Back