What's new
What's new

Prvomajska ALG-100*power feed

ome.machining

Aluminum
Hi :-)

I'm new to this forum.
But I just got myself a Prvomajska ALG-100*milling machine, and this gave me some questions :-)

One of them are about the power feed.
Do I understand it has in two direction?
Up/down and table sideways?

From what I can see in the manual I found online, it should be possible to change these on the joystick.?
But I can only change feed in sideways, not up/down?
On the other side of coloum, there are a little mechanical switch, for hight feed stop.
If this are activated, I can set it to autofeed upwards, but not downwards?

What can be the problem? And where to look? :-)
Shouldn't it work on the large handle/joystick?

Hope you guys can help.

Warm regards
Rasmus
5a17c1b6d5a16656788e887df9447b23.jpg

87bdedaffc65709770ec15e92775a47e.jpg

The feed trip should work both ways....looks in the photo that the trip is in the up position meaning that the machine thinks the slide is down against
the stop that has forced the trip up...
Try pushing the trip (the little lever on the non operators side shown in the second photo)
If the lever is up it acts as though it has been tripped by the slide going down, and you can't engage the power feed to go further down....

That trip lever should center itself ...perhaps its dirty or damaged and sticking....
Should have three distinct positions.....centered, up and down...if it does not move freely and center then i suspect that is your problem.

Cheers Ross

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The little trip lever can be moved in three positions, but its moving tight, so have to take hard.

Feed only work in one if them.

The joystick feels like it only move half the way. I can see on YouTube videos, that it go as high, as it almost hit the table?

Where to look for errors?
In knee? Or in coloum?

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The little trip lever can be moved in three positions, but its moving tight, so have to take hard.

Feed only work in one if them.

The joystick feels like it only move half the way. I can see on YouTube videos, that it go as high, as it almost hit the table?

Where to look for errors?
In knee? Or in coloum?

Hi there,

if the lever cannot move all the way, and the stops are not hindering its movement then you have to check the feed shaft and forks. You can open the little window in front of knee and see if something in there is broken and will not allow the full motion of the feed fork.

If the lever moves freely but you have not up/down power feed, there must be a pin or something broken so that the feed shaft moves freely inside the feed gears. I think you have to remove the knee to fix this, at least this is what I did with mine.

Congratulations on your new machine! Is it the ALG100B with the longer Z travel?

Be sure you are shifting with the main motor running...Feed system used "dog" style clutches, and they will often not line right up until some movement of the
parts imparted via the motor rotation....

Cheers Ross

Hi all

Thanks for your replys :-)

I have taken it apart, and in the knee I found two broken tapered pins. One for handle input, and one for drive gear.
Now new are installed, and its working perfectly :-)

On the knee, between the two feed gear 'compartments', I found a little, countersunked screw, which were loose. I tightened it up?
But, what are its use? What do it do/hold?

Best regards

I looked at a parts diagram for the FP1 and it shows the hole but doesn't include a part number or description of what is there. The holes above and below don't either but from the looks of the diagram they are set screws to retain bushings, the one circled in red in your picture ends at the space between those bushings. From that I can only guess that the hole is there to access a pin or a set screw when assembling something deeper in the knee or maybe when a lubrication hole was drilled at the factory and now only serves as a plug? I think I would see if after tightening that screw all the feed shafts still rotate freely, and if so put it back together and call it done.
Dan

c167af703542c378193eca6160c3f0d4.jpg

Picture of the screw
(In red circle) :-)

Not a picture of mine, but of a deckel, borrowed on www :-)

Hi Dan :-)

Thanks for your fast reply.
I took the knee off once again, just to be 112% sure I did everything right.

It was made like a set screw, but with a turned pin in the end, like it was holding something when screwed all in. Everything spins freely, so I'm good to go I think :-)

But, now that all are running, I tried holding the handle when it runs with feed and I can fairly easy hold the handle, (stop the feed shaft)

I can see in the back, that its the feed chain wheels that slips on shaft.
Actually where the two chains meet.
I have to take it apart and see what causes it :-)

Hi Dan :-)

Thanks for your fast reply.
I took the knee off once again, just to be 112% sure I did everything right.

It was made like a set screw, but with a turned pin in the end, like it was holding something when screwed all in. Everything spins freely, so I'm good to go I think :-)

But, now that all are running, I tried holding the handle when it runs with feed and I can fairly easy hold the handle, (stop the feed shaft)

I can see in the back, that its the feed chain wheels that slips on shaft.
Actually where the two chains meet.
I have to take it apart and see what causes it :-)

Hi rasmush,

feeds are driven off the spindle via chain. And spindle is driven off the motor by belt. So, there cannot be any slippage between spindle and feeds. If you experience something similar, you have a broken safety pin (most probably) in your driven speed sprocket. It is the weak link of the assembly that is meant to break in case of a mishap so that nothing else is damaged.
In mine it secures the feed driven and pump drive sprockets. I turned a mild steel pin and resisted using spring steel, I hope other agree also.

BR,
Thanos

I post some pictures so you can see what I mean.

The big chain wheen slips om the small one.
Of course not the chain itself, but on shaft.
The little pin must be broken :-)

How to take it apart? Should chain wheel easily come off?
Or do the shaft follow out?

When I press, the shaft go 10mm out and stop, the chain wheel seems to stuck on shaft?

Besr rgds

*Edit, seems like the chainwheel should be possible to take right off shaft?
Or am i missing something
(Post another pich from manual)

1f87f586c97d58f77b08ad47c012a094.jpg

d1be7b39e6ef7c2ea81816b09c8cdcfd.jpg

ec8512498181cbcb6c845052bac2efa5.jpg

ed104a761d95b736fa71a9bfa415413f.jpg

Last edited:
Now i got the big one off, -very tight fit :-)
The second are stuck.

I think i need to get it some heat, or a descent puller :-)

The little bushing~ish, where the little pin are in, doesent look well, so it need some attention :-)

Hope i can find such a little pin, that are strong/weak enough :-)

Here are my wheels. They were tight to come off but not that tight. I think the large one just took some prying and the smaller asked for a small extractor.
attachment.php

(signs from broken pins visible...)

Regarding the pin if you find a 'proper' one please do let me know. I did not search for too long, just turned one out of mild steel and toolpost-ground it to size.
attachment.php

BR,
Thanos

Thanks for pics :-)

No I haven't found any usable pin.
Tryied some tig welding rod, as it were right size, but didnt last long :-)

Btw, when I look at the drawing, it look like the wheels are tightened towards a stop on shaft?
But on mine, it just go into a 'washer/cover' with a sealing inside. And it will run very close to main coloum.
I can move the shaft ~10mm out?
Is this normal?

When I press the feed shaft all way in, so it reach button, it spins freely. But the gear dont align.
See pic.

When I pull on shaft so gear are aligned, it hardly spin.
Maybe gear can be loosened on shaft and then moved?

But when shaft are all in, its like it's not long enough.
And when I tighten screw for feed chain gear, they bind because they hit the sealing/housing, and also pull shaft outwards.

Hmm, can't see a solution at the moment :-)

edb52e5f1befc61c7ba81b866d4e0ded.jpg

d8806d415a6995d5d3296b35dd37f9e9.jpg

I post some pictures so you can see what I mean.

The big chain wheen slips om the small one.
Of course not the chain itself, but on shaft.
The little pin must be broken :-)

How to take it apart? Should chain wheel easily come off?
Or do the shaft follow out?

When I press, the shaft go 10mm out and stop, the chain wheel seems to stuck on shaft?

Besr rgds

*Edit, seems like the chainwheel should be possible to take right off shaft?
Or am i missing something
(Post another pich from manual)

I'm going to ask 2 questions;
(1) Do you realize that the small sprocket only works the coolant pump and can be disengaged with a knob or a lever?
(2) Have you verified the correct spindle rotation before starting all these repairs?
Dan

(1) Do you realize that the small sprocket only works the coolant pump and can be disengaged with a knob or a lever?

Dan

Not sure about that....Looks to me as though the small sprocket is the connection to the gearbox input shaft being its got the key slot and is keyed to the shaft...Large sprocket is free to rotate on a hub.
Looks like the drive comes in via the large sprocket which in turn drives the small sprocket through the shear pin which in turn drives the gearbox and power feed...
Cheers Ross

Hi :-)

Yes ross are right :-)

The little sprocket power feed and coolant, and the large one, with shear pin power the small one, with a chain from drive pulley.

Rotation are the right way :-)

My bad on the sprocket lay out!
So the part #40 in the diagram is a shear pin to connect the two sprockets together? What actuates the coolant pump, the FP1 has a mechanism that engages the coolant sprocket?
Dan

:-) no worries

Yes this also have a lever that engages the coolant pump. And this are off now. But its stuck, can only turn 350*, so it need a overhaul as well.
Think its the reason why shear pin did break

Back