What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 for sale locally, source for info?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Did a search, but couldn't find a good thread for general info.

There is an FP1 for sale nearby, turned up in a CL search.

Never heard of them...but some quick google-fu indicates they were toolroom quality machines.

Looks to be on the small side, but be heavy for it's size.

Obviously not a typical knee mill (I don't see a quill?). Aside from (I'm assuming)being a quality German machine back in the day (how far back??), what are it's advantages and disadvantages when compared to a BP or clone?

$4K seems quite pricey, but again I have no clue as to what market is for these...parts availability? Proprietary collets?

I'm looking for another "smallish" mill, should I even consider this one?

Last edited:
There is an FP1 for sale nearby, turned up in a CL search. Never heard of them...but some quick google-fu indicates they were toolroom quality machines.

They are very nice mills. They have about a 100-year history, and similar machines are still being produced. They did evolve quite a bit over the years, and so an important question is, "what generation/year" is the machine? When you see it, I suggest you take some pictures and post them here. Include a shot of the name/serial number plate. That will get you plenty of feedback and tips.

As an alternative, and to get some more focus: do a search on the Practical Machinist forum, using the "Search" function at the top of this page. Use the query "Deckel FP1", and you will find more than thousand informative posts about them. Deckel FP1s do have a quill. In fact they have both a horizontal and vertical spindle, so in total there are two quills.

The older version has a MT4 spindle While the later ones have a Iso 40 taper
If it has a Iso 40 taper the price is right For a MT4 it depends
And they have a quill
Parts are still available

Peter

"There is an FP1 for sale nearby, turned up in a CL search."

Under no circumstances should you buy this. Those machines are total junk, they are no good at all.
In fact, I am so upset that you even *consider* buying this boils my blood. Please post up the contact
information for the seller so I can call them and give them a good piece of my mind! Please include
a link to the sale and the sellers phone number if you have it....

Did a search, but couldn't find a good thread for general info.

There is an FP1 for sale nearby, turned up in a CL search.

Never heard of them...but some quick google-fu indicates they were toolroom quality machines.

Looks to be on the small side, but be heavy for it's size.

Obviously not a typical knee mill (I don't see a quill?). Aside from (I'm assuming)being a quality German machine back in the day (how far back??), what are it's advantages and disadvantages when compared to a BP or clone?

$4K seems quite pricey, but again I have no clue as to what market is for these...parts availability? Proprietary collets?

I'm looking for another "smallish" mill, should I even consider this one?

I would pass on that one, I think the price for that generation and lack of accessories is a little high? He’s had it listed for awhile IIRC on eBay and craigslist?

Kevin

I think the price is a little too high myself for what I did manage to see but I guess prices in america are higher for these machines. I thought all FP1s had quills though? Not a lot of it but they did have some.

Back