What's new
What's new

Questions from a new Abene VHF-3 Owner #3979 (1968)

KTapply

Aluminum
I recently became the owner of a Abene VHF-3 Universal Mill. A couple of questions if I may...

1. What's the method to tension the spindle belt properly. The previous belt was corded leather belt that disintegrated in the machine. I have removed all the cords that spun around the motor and spindle drive shaft and would love some advice on how to untension/tension to install a new belt. The machine came with a new flat rubber belt (Jason (made in France) 470J).

2. Rotating the spindle head from Vertical to Horizontal? I loosen the 4 bolts on the spindle head and the head begins to turn and then "Clunk" it hits something. I imagine the speeds/gears may have to be in some neutral position so that everything is out of the way but I don't have the magic combination. What's the secret?

I am looking forward to putting this old girl to work....

The spindle motor is mounted on an eccentric, remove the four motor bolts and it can be spun in the mounting to loosen and tighten the belt. On my VHF-3 the head will turn freely by just loosening the four bolts. There are adjustable stops at the horizontal and vertical positions, but it should move freely between the stops regardless of the gear the spindle head is in. Make sure you just loosen the bolts enough to rotate the head, if you go too far the head can bind.

Tim
Abene VHF-3 #4168 1970

What Tim said but on mine the casting was mildly damaged by someone overtightening the t-bolt while it was half on and half off the casting. Some bits of it were in the track, maybe this is binding yours?? It is easy and would be worth removing the 4 bolts and taking the spindle off the headstock too see what is going on.
Post some pictures please.

The magical position for neutral on the three lever gearbox is levers from left to right:
1: right hole
2: left hole
3: in-between holes

Congrats on the new machine!

Can I find a flat Spindle Belt for my Abene VHF-3 here in North America?

Is there a source in North America for a flat belt for the Spindle of an Abene VHF-3?

Here are some pictures of the new to me Abene. Serial number 3979 indicates a manufacture year of 1968. It seems to be in amazing condition. (with the exception of the spindle belt which disintegrated due to old age).

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6037.jpg

What Tim said but on mine the casting was mildly damaged by someone overtightening the t-bolt while it was half on and half off the casting. Some bits of it were in the track, maybe this is binding yours?? It is easy and would be worth removing the 4 bolts and taking the spindle off the headstock too see what is going on.
Post some pictures please.

Yeah, When I removed one of the nuts it loosened up and I was able to move it. When I get someone to help me I will remove it and make sure it's all clear.

Kevin

I ended up buying my belt from Abene. The later ones had v-belts. I have images of one machine from a user on here but I decided it was too much effort to try and convert it.

Belt Length..?

I ended up buying my belt from Abene. The later ones had v-belts. I have images of one machine from a user on here but I decided it was too much effort to try and convert it.

My machine came with a serpentine style belt (16 ribs) that is too short. I don't know why that style of belt would not work on these flat pulleys, but there is not a ton of adjustment so I need to nail the right length.

Kevin

Back