What's new
What's new

Removing Z-axis bellows, Deckel FP2

ballen

Diamond
Dear Deckel fans,

many Deckel mills are operated without the Z-axis bellows. One reason is because they reduce the Z-axis travel at the top. I personally don't buy this argument, because I can remove or replace the bellows in a couple of minutes. In case anyone is thinking about this topic, here is the procedure:

(1) Move headstock to the rear of the travel, and remove plastic holders/Y-axis wipers:

attachment.php

(2) Loosen the upper Z feed-stop, to release the bellows bar:

attachment.php

attachment.php

(3) Unclip bellows at the bottom, and slide off the bellows and sheet metal holder, upwards

attachment.php

(4) Move upper Z feed-stop to higher position (I have location holes drilled for pin, so this takes a few seconds)

attachment.php

(5) Replace the two plastic wiper blocks at the top:

attachment.php

The only tools needed are (a) a flat-blade screwdriver and (b) a 6mm hex wrench. Total time is about two minutes. Replacing the bellows is similar -- perhaps a few seconds longer to first wipe off any oil/coolant/chips with a rag.

Thanks to Karl for taking the photos!

Cheers,
Bruce

I'm with you Bruce, it's only the 200 Euros to Franz that I object to (at the moment...). So I revert to temporary measures to protect the Z ways...
(however, I did exhaust the Z travel towards the top two times last week! (facing horizontally).

BR,
Thanos

I got the Z-axis bellows on Ebay Kleinanzeige for 50 Euros, and paid a similar amount for the sheet metal piece that holds them. Even at twice that price I think it is worth it. Keeping the ways clean and oiled is the best way to preserve the value of the machine.

Agreed Bruce, plus it's getting old soon to have to watch out and cover the ways all the time.
I'll have a look in the Kleianzeige as well, let me know if you see something popping up.

BR,
Thanos

Yep, and some guys feel they need a belt with their suspenders..;)...its a choice in the end, do what ever you think you need. Personally I think its better to have a routine for replacement of the wipers .
Cover the ways and they drop from your notice and can easily get pretty ugly under the nice covers....Dried coolant and oxidized oil plus chips...and yes chips will get there even with the bellows.
Bought a very nice FP2 "Active" once and it was spotless save the crap crusted on the "Z" ways under the perfect bellows.(nasty)
I am sure Bruce has a schedule to remove and clean under the covers on a regular schedule, not sure everyone is as dedicated.

I take my clue from the later NC's.....None AFAIK ever were fitted with the vertical way bellows....
Much worse environment. Flood coolant in an enclosure (often) running continuous with many more hours than any manual, and
doing such cycles as peck and deep hole drilling , tapping cycles etc, all of which stress the ability to keep chips and swarf out of the vertical ways, does not seem to be a problem...

They do have issues on the early machines with the "Z" ways , but that is not because they don't have bellows covering them.

I need to see the ways, keep them clean and be able to monitor whether they are getting lube, besides i think it makes the machines look better..,But that is just me...

Have had a number of manuals in my hands for years , currently a first gen FP2 and a first gen FP3. Lots of running hours in my care.W/O vertical covers on either ..no issues with vertical ways period!
But then i do change the way wipers from time to time.

Cheers Ross

So what do you do with chips on there Ross? I don't care that much for aluminium ones, especially larger ones, I leave the ways unprotected and use a brush and/or vacuum to clean them afterwards. Even in this case though, I don't feel too comfortable running the table up and down if there are chips there.
But when it's something nasty like hard steel and powdery chips I can't stand leaving them like this, I put something on them. New wipers on the machine. (But that's what I do on the lathe as well for similar cutting conditions, new wipers there as well).

Thanks,
Thanos

My main reason is the price too, but I'd sure like to get my hands on some. I haven't yet removed the wipers for the Z-axus but I do vacuum it clean after almost every operation and I wipe down the ways regularly as well as feel them witrh my fingers to see how dirty they are.

If you have dust or small powder, i run the slide down and give the ways a quick wipe if its possible depending on the job.
Real chips be it steel or aluminum don't think it matters much...use a brush like you when i can.
Don't misunderstand my position...
Don't have a argument with anyone who wants to have the vertical bellows...Just not me....i don't think it is a problem and i don't want to mess with them....
Have a new set for the FP3 complete with the improved frame setup ...(bit different from the FP2 setup) Saving all that for the guy that inherits all this iron...maybe he will want the covers who knows.
Cheers Ross

Back