What's new
What's new

Replacing gear bearings on Deckel FP2 headstock

ballen

Diamond
I am replacing some bearings on my FP2 to reduce the noise levels. I thought I would document the process of installing the two 6010 bearings (50 x 80 x 16mm) that support the big gear behind the horizontal spindle.

Here is the setup:

attachment.php

Bottom left: new bearings sealed in plastic, the bearing "pusher" which is 79.5mm OD, 50.5mm ID, ID runs 55mm deep, overall length about 60mm.

Top right: Inner and outer spacer, rear nut (note that I have added four extra holes, at 60 degree spacings), two heavy bellville washers for preload, and retaining grub screws for outer spacer.

Here is another view of the bearing pusher:

attachment.php

face is machined flat to pull on the inside and outside races equally

Here I am pulling the first bearing into place:

attachment.php

attachment.php

You then insert the spacers, bellville washers, and the second bearing, then pull that into place. Finally add the nut and tighten it.

Here it is with the spindle in place:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Liftoff for the ride back to the mother ship:

attachment.php

I machined a new rear cap from plastic, with two M6 puller holes that are at the correct radius to push on the outer bearing shells.

Did you get any noise reduction?

I replaced the following items:

- bearing on the input shaft (back of machine, in front of top pulley)
- pulley on the motor (replaced with taperlock pulley)
- two bearings on the headstock (as in the thread just above)
- two belts

The combination of these changes made the machine MUCH smoother and quieter. But I did all of them at the same time, so can't identify which made the most contribution.

The real expense is the time and effort -- two new SKF 6010 bearings cost 30 Euros including shipping.

I replaced the following items:

- bearing on the input shaft (back of machine, in front of top pulley)
- pulley on the motor (replaced with taperlock pulley)
- two bearings on the headstock (as in the thread just above)
- two belts

I have a fair bit of runout on the inching wheel, and I can feel a vibration whenever the motor runs. This is even after putting it on those Sunnex vibration dampening leveling feet that were recommended.
I guess I should pop the cover and see what's behind there. I'm pretty sure my FP2 sat for a few years before it came to me, so maybe it's just a bit of a set to the belts...

I have a fair bit of runout on the inching wheel, and I can feel a vibration whenever the motor runs.

Peter (from the Netherlands) has seen a lot of Deckels. He says that on most of these, the input shaft bearing behind the pulley is worn out. It takes an hour to remove the back, loosen the motor and belts, and remove the second back behind the belts. The only potentially hard part is disconnecting the power feed shaft (two taper pins). You can then pull the bearing with a 2-point puller and replace it. Also do the motor pulley, if it's not locked tight on the shaft.

PS: replace the bearing with a 2RS bearing, where you pull off the inside seal but retain the outside one.

Back