What's new
What's new

Sajo UF52 question

Slow Dave

Plastic
I picked up a Sajo UF52 a while back and I noticed the over arm support was really hard to get on and off. It turns out some clown hammered on the overarm to pound it into the dove tail where it is stuck. The pounding distorted the end of the dovetail on the overarm so the over arm support would not slide on and off. I took care of that and moved on to the underlying problem, the overarm jambed into the dovetail. I figured I would loosen the gib and see if I could free it up. On the left side of the machine are the 2 overarm locking bolts. On the right side below the gib are what look like 2 caps and I am guessing those cover the gib adjusters. I don't see any adjusters fore or aft in the overarm area. So my question is are the adjusters under those caps? If so, are they just pressed in and easily pried off with a screw driver. Parts are next to impossible to get for this machine so before prying anything I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Dave

OK, I figured it out. I am posting the answer to help some future owner trying to figure one of these out. What I thought might be disc covers are actually the bolt heads for the locking bolts. The heads are cylindrical with an angled cut out that rests behind the gib. If you remove the lock nuts, they can be tapped through with a brass punch. There are set screws that come down from the ways above to keep the bolt head aligned. In my case they appear to have been sheared off long ago. They keep the bolt heads from getting cocked against the gib. It is a very clever design. Once I loosened them I was able to tap the gib back from the front of the machine. Before I go further I need to set up some rigging to hold the overarm while removing it. I suspect that the sheared set screws are the source of the problem as a cocked bolt head could bind against the gib not allowing it to free up when the lock nuts are loosened.

Back