What's new
What's new

Schaublin 13 oil level sight glass

Leigh

Plastic
My Schaublin 13 oil level sight glass is so dirty I can't see the oil level anymore. Wondering if anybody knows how to remove it for cleaning or replacement.

The manual shows a cross section where it looks like a press fit with no O ring or gasket for sealing. Not sure how that works and if it can be removed without destroying it.

Leigh

Schaublin oil sight gage.jpg

Schaublin manual extract.jpg

Glasses like that are relatively easy to install...With time they become very difficult if not impossible to remove without killing them, noy to mention that years of
exposure to light and lube oil likely has rendered the plastic hard and fragile.

My suggestion is to look of an appropriate commercial replacement...makers rarely made such parts rather buying them from vendors.
Failing that looks like a minor project to turn a piece of Lucite to size with an "O" ring groove and you will be good to go....
Just assume that if you want to get that glass clean, you will destroy it getting it out....

Cheers Ross

Thanks for the reply Ross.

I figured I would have to destroy it to take it out but was hoping I was overlooking a simple and less destructive alternative. I’m thinking a self tapping screw and a claw hammer...

Leigh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Ross.

I figured I would have to destroy it to take it out but was hoping I was overlooking a simple and less destructive alternative. I’m thinking a self tapping screw and a claw hammer...

Leigh

Use a machine screw. Tap it. Better yet, a pair. So you can apply twist, not just pull.

If you get lucky and it comes out intact and can be re-used, a washered machine-screw in each tapped hole will then seal it. Ready for next pull and cleaning.

For the record...

I tapped two M5 threads and got the sight gauge out with a pry bar - it wouldn’t twist. I was going to make a new one but it cleaned up well and I got lazy and put a bit of thread sealant on the screws and whacked it back in. I can always replace it later now I know how it works. It’s 32 mm diameter.

Leigh

bfe9b506d24e3dec71c5a7d99565b1bc.jpg

If you google "oil level sight glass 32mm" you'll find lots of options, for example:
or
I would order a couple and stick them in the bag of spares. That way if the next owner pulls it in 40 years to clean it, and it breaks, there's a replacement at hand.

Back