What's new
What's new

Schaublin SV12 slotting head

Not something i can use, but thought it interesting!
Never seen a slotting head or shaper built like that. Looks like there is some kind of limit trips that set the cutting position and stroke length...
Would love to see how they accomplish this internally.

Nice looking piece.
Cheers Ross

Is that some sort of tool lifter? In some ways, it looks like an owner add-on. I have an Aciera slotting head that is similar in some ways, but does not have the extra mechanism on the front.

I don't know about the tool lifter. But it is a good deal, proof being that several people have now bid the price up to over 1000 Euro.

Swiss people and Schaublin stuff, German people and anything with Deckel (Maho, Hermle, Weiler... to a lesser extend) on it, prices go crazy ;-)

Buy each in the other country, you'll likely get it for cheap :-)

Here are the images for posterity. Based on the SV12 slotting head images on lathes.co.uk (Schaublin SV12 Page 3 . Schaublin SV12 Page 2), I'd say this one was modified by a third party.
Slot head 5.jpgSlot head 4.jpgSlot head 3.jpgSlot head 2.jpgSlot head 1.jpg

I got my Aciera F5 slotting head for about $600 plus shipping from Switzerland. I think it was unused new old-stock. I sold my Bridgeport Model E shaping head for more than that.

I read through the SV12 pages that you linked to. These machines, just like the very first FP1s, show something about history. These early milling machines really began as lathe headstocks mounted on top of a moving column with a moving table beneath them.

Here are the images for posterity. Based on the SV12 slotting head images on lathes.co.uk (Schaublin SV12 Page 3 . Schaublin SV12 Page 2), I'd say this one was modified by a third party.
View attachment 269327View attachment 269328View attachment 269329View attachment 269330View attachment 269331

I got my Aciera F5 slotting head for about $600 plus shipping from Switzerland. I think it was unused new old-stock. I sold my Bridgeport Model E shaping head for more than that.

That is a great deal, I have been trying to find a slotting head for my 13 for years and haven't found one for anything less than silly money. It is one of those accessories that would be nice to have but not something I am going to use enough to justify 2k+ euros/franc etc. I paid 850 euro for a high speed head from the Netherlands which given the added functionality seemed like a fair deal (other than needing to recut the spindle bore to use normal collets).

I am hoping one pops up on French Ebay as the prices here tend to be better than in Switzerland and Germany. I picked up a really nice condition schaublin 102 carriage for around 300 when I have seen them go for 4x that other places.

L

Whidbey,

There is a French YouTuber, Pierre Nectoux, who is building such a beast for his Schaublin 13.

You may know already, but in case you don't, here is the link to one of his last video on that build:

Jacques

Whidbey,

There is a French YouTuber, Pierre Nectoux, who is building such a beast for his Schaublin 13.

You may know already, but in case you don't, here is the link to one of his last video on that build:

Jacques

Thanks Jacques I hadn't see that channel, it will be a good way to practice my French :) I end up watching youtube in English and German but my french is super basic at this point so I haven't gotten into the French side of things.

Luke

Hi Luke,

I assumed you would be comfortable with French since you are in France, according to your profile here. I'm French Canadian myself, but I have been in the US for a while now.

Here is another French speaking machinist on YouTube that I discovered maybe a year ago.

I just watch his videos mostly to drool over his Schaublin 53 milling machine :drool5:

Enjoy,

Jacques

Hi Luke,

I assumed you would be comfortable with French since you are in France ...
Jacques

That is a very reasonable assumption:) my wife speaks French fairly well which is necessary for functioning down here as there isn't much English.

Back