What's new
What's new

Second Hand wheel on X-axis Abene

VW181

Plastic
Hi All,

I have an Abene VHF3 mill with only 1 hand wheel for the X-axis, and worse, it's on the left side.
I hoped it would have some kind of preparation on the spindle for an second hand wheel on the right side but sadly there is no extra length on the spindle there.

IMG_20190217_162344.jpg

Did anyone here made an second hand wheel for an Abene?
Turning the spindle around so I have the wheel on the right is also not preferred because the on/off switch and speed-control is on the left side.

Tjeerd

Interesting problem. Do you think it got damaged so someone cut it off? I'm afraid I can't help with lengthening that spindle unless you try to full penetration weld an end on it then turn down to resemble the other end noting the bearing differences. That said I don't know what the material is or what welding would do to it. If it is soft enough you might keep it cool away from the heat affected zone to save the lead screw thread from damage. All in all this seems like a difficult fix for a home shop and then you'd still need all the handwheel parts. Maybe someone will provide a more valid idea.
Chris

It looks like this machine is delivered with only 1 hand wheel.
All part on the side without looks original to me.
Indeed it looks like the only possibility is to weld an extra piece to the spindle.
I don't mind if the spindle gets a bit shorter on that side.
And I don't really need an nonius on that side, because I have an simple digital read out on the X-axis.

But still, other ideas are welcome. :)

If all that is required is to extend the length of the lead screw, my choice would be a mechanical joint for the extension....
Would require removal of the screw.
Chuck in the lathe and drill and tap a thread in the end of the existing screw, end face true.
Use a substantial size internal thread sort of like...if the lead screw was 20mm then an 8 or 10mm thread in the end....If possible i would use a fine thread, like 1.0 or 1.25.

Cut a slot in the end face of the lead screw...sort of like a large screw driver slot on a screw head....You can do this on your mill using an end mill running horizontal and just using the "Z" and "Y" travels (lock the "X")

Now fabricate your extension. Leave it a bit long and over size on the diameter.....
Drill and bore a through hole in the extension so that the hole is a good sliding fit to a quality 10 mm Allen Bolt...Counter bore the outside enc of the extension so that the Allen head will fit down flush with the end of the extension.

Now return to the mill and cut the inside end face of your extension so that it has male tangs that closely fit the slot cut on the screw......

Assemble the sleeve with a draw bolt through and fit tight with a permanent thread locker (Loctite 272 or????). Be sure the tangs do not bottom out, Becomes a face to face joint with the tangs and slots doing the driving.

Now, return to the lathe and finish the OD true to the existing lead screw.....No distortion or latent stress, a good mechanical repair, that you could reverse if need be...

Cheers Ross

A quick and dirty way
On the picture ot looks like there is a treaded hole in it already
just bolt on a extension and as a key drill 2 dimples in the face of that extension
Hold 2 steel balls in the dimples with some grease
Then assemble and tighten the bolt
It will leave 2 marks in the face of the spindle Drill 2 dimples just deep enough that the faces of extension and shaft touch each other

I have done this before and it works like a charm
Oke it might wobble a bit So what

Peter

Thank you Peter,
Sadly there is no treaded hole in it.
Must be some shadow of grease you see.
But it's a nice idea.

Back