What's new
What's new

SF Bay Area - where to get new hydraulic hoses for Deckel FP2NC?

rklopp

Diamond
The tool gripper hoses on my machine are about shot. Is there a local place that would understand what needs to be made if I handed them the old ones? Are the end fittings common hardware? Mail-order from someplace? Sentner? Singer (hope not)?

I learned something on hydraulic hoses this year, as I have just replaced ALL the hydraulic hoses on a MANITOU rough terrain forklift (lots of them, some rather large).
I had not planned that, but once I saw how incredibly cheap hoses are available online, it was a no brainer. As a rule for example a DN12 hose heavy metric is 3.50€ per end fitting plus 5€ per meter of hose. So 12€ for a made-for-me hose, configured in an online configurator. At the local hydraulic shop that would have been maybe 50€.
So you may want to shop around some.

I've also had good experiences taking damaged hoses to a local hydraulics shop. Replacing hoses is one of the most common things they do. All they need to know is operating pressure of the system and the type of fluid, they'll do the rest. Replacement hoses for my J&S 540 grinder cost 20 Euros and were ready in a couple of days. , From a factory source they were 8 times that price plus shipping and handling and a week of delivery time.

Our local "Hose Shop" is a Parker affiliate. Must be one even closer to you, Rich. Prices are semi-reasonable (maybe 2x the cheapest online) and with a greater assurance you'll get what you want.

I'll add that if your hose ends are some 'unobtainium' style, it's not out of the question to cut the hose proper off the fittings and have the hydraulic shop spec the proper hose and crimp ferrules and reuse said fittings. This can often only happen if the hydraulic shop is able to think outside the box.

Stuart

I'll add that if your hose ends are some 'unobtainium' style, it's not out of the question to cut the hose proper off the fittings and have the hydraulic shop spec the proper hose and crimp ferrules and reuse said fittings.

Yes, IF they can spec the right hose and the crimp ferrules. But in that case it's not 'unobtainium'.

My local place won't crimp on "foreign" fittings. They say that their hydraulic crimping press and crimp ferrules are very tightly matched to both the hose and the connectors, and that the press needs to be set to work to within a fraction of a mm. Unless the connector/hose/crimp ferrule combination is in their pre-defined list of possible combinations, they won't touch it. For low pressure applications (say under 10 bar) that's no problem, one can use screw-clamp hose connectors and if needed solder up new fittings. But for real hydraulics operating at hundreds of bar or more, they won't mess around, the risk of injury or damage is too high.

That's the 'box' I was alluding to in my post. A failure of a small, low pressure hose fitting on a milling machine isn't going to cause mayhem and death, so if the shop can actually use their brains you may be able to get a hose assemble made.

The hose and fittings aren't the sticky wicket, it's the weird offshore hose ends that become the 'unobtainium' feature.

Stuart

Almost everything is available with an AN adapter, which is the same as JIC.
Which means worst case you can buy some build it yourself braided line from mcmaster and make your own lines up

Doubt it is the cheap way, but they work for pretty much ever

A failure of a small, low pressure hose fitting on a milling machine isn't going to cause mayhem and death.

I think the pressure matters, not the size. A jet of hydraulic fluid at a few hundred bar that hits your skin or your eye will do lasting damage.

What's the operating pressure for the tool-gripper hydraulics?

It's been a long long time, but when I was racing italian iron, I'd go over to Hoses Unlimited at the Oakland airport and have custom hoses made, fast and cheaper than I expected. I believe they are now in San Leandro.

I have had good luck with Royal Brass in San Jose. A Parker hose place. Whenever I have needed something I just tell them or hand them an old one and they do it in a few minutes. I doubt they will be unable to help you. Good Luck!
Hose Company in San Jose, CA | Parker Hose Shop

Michael

They closed that branch a couple years ago. The main store is about 5 miles farther south on 101.

101 to Old Oakland Rd. south for a couple of blocks.
Turn right and a another couple of blocks.

That is the general area.

Have seen many times people bringing in old hoses and new ones are made on the spot.

To finish the story, I ended up buying online from discounthydraulichose.com. My local shop did not have DIN fittings and I did not have time off from work to run around the Bay Area looking for hoses. The hose shipped quickly (but not cheaply) and hooked right up with no issues. The hose seems to be private-labeled Hydraulax.

I was surprised at how quickly the prior Aeroquip hose (which surely was not OEM) was falling apart once it started to. The other hoses on the machine appear to be OEM, and look fine.

Back